Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Earth is older than 6000 years

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français
    I don't care. Everyone is free to believe independently. If anything, most Jews are Liberals and not Orthodox. It's hardly a troubling issue for me.
    What are you talking about?? Wow we are on different wavelengths. I'm talking about whether or not it's ok for religious people to teach their children about creation and you're talking about whether most Jews are orthodox or liberal.

Jews have just as much a right to live as they believe as do Goys.
    Great, that's what I've been arguing in part. If Jews want to teach their kids about creation, then that's fine even if you don't like it.

It's laughable that Jews are obligated to follow laws based on some past life they don't even remember.
    Heh. Then don't believe it.

And a rabbi you spoke to says Madonna is a nutcase? Someone's living in a glass house.
    I can't really speak for him since I don't know who he was. If you want to try to ask him about it, go to www.askmoses.com and click on ask question.

Not always, but reason does often prevail in the end.
    Then monotheistic religions are not going anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by hardluckhitshome
    What are you talking about?? Wow we are on different wavelengths. I'm talking about whether or not it's ok for religious people to teach their children about creation and you're talking about whether most Jews are orthodox or liberal.
    I've never even commented on that. It wasn't my position at all that homeschooling is bad. I don't care what parents teach their children. It's their children. However, if children are being abused or being taught to hurt others, then CPS should investigate.

Great, that's what I've been arguing in part. If Jews want to teach their kids about creation, then that's fine even if you don't like it.
    I believe in Creation as well.

Then monotheistic religions are not going anywhere
    Maybe not, and that's fine. Vive le Dieu!

I've never even commented on that. It wasn't my position at all that homeschooling is bad. I don't care what parents teach their children. It's their children.
    Ah, I believe you said it was a "cause for concern for all of us." So I'm glad you were able to see the error because when we start talking about what parents are allowed to teach their children at home, things get a little scary.

I believe in Creation as well.
    lol, yeah not interested in going there..

your haver,
    Sean

So, When did he live guys?

The original premise of this thread reminds me how much my personal philosophy has changed over the years. When I was younger, I used to be quite religious. Now I think I’m a Pythonist (as in Monty).

I have a strong feeling, a sense (and that is all it is, nothing more) of there being a creator at work, that this immense complexity and endless discovery wasn’t accidental, and that we’re meant to live for a purpose and behave in certain decent ways.

I think all the trouble starts not from a creator, but from the long line of men, down through the ages, in organized religions of every flavor, who claim to speak for him/her/it. Who claim divine inspiration or revelation, who pore over every antiquated scrap of parchment, who attach more weight to semantic differences of interpretation and custom (and are willing to start wars over them) than to the far greater imperative of living together in peace and decency and using our gifts of reason to improve our lives.

When ancient scriptures turn out to be flatly at odds with the reality of science, I think of the game of “telephone”: a bunch of people go around the room and whisper a phrase to each other, and what the last person hears is usually so distorted that it’s hilarious. Sometimes formal religions seem to me to be a giant game of telephone, where doctrine and edicts get whispered or handed down or dug out of the ground. Then, over generations, men squabble and edit and redact these words, while all the time greater truths lie ignored in front of us.

When the sacred texts of many major religions were written, the idea that the Earth was several thousand years old at the time probably seemed as remote and awe-inspiring as their minds could grasp. Fast forward a few millennia and things like carbon dating and astronomy establish a clearly different picture. Some religions’ response? Attack the heretics! That’s what I meant when I said I was a Pythonist. The Life of Brian tells me more about the weirdness of humans’ attempt to understand the universe than most grad level philosophy courses.

I still can’t understand how discoveries about the origin and age of the universe, the building blocks of life, and so on, have to be at odds with the notion of a creator. (One way to look at all this is to marvel at the infinite intricacies that have been placed in front of us to discover, to test, to confirm.) The only clashes really come when a bunch of guys in robes get antsy because the new knowledge clashes with what a dusty parchment, transcribed and handed down through the years, seems to have said.

Ah, I believe you said it was a "cause for concern for all of us." So I'm glad you were able to see the error because when we start talking about what parents are allowed to teach their children at home, things get a little scary.
    I wasn't referring to people homeschooling their kids. I believe I said that prior to Chris' comment on homeschooling. A "cause for concern for all of us" is when people want to strap bombs on themselves and blow everyone around them up because they don't accept their beliefs.

The religious can say what they want about iconoclasts and hedonists (my being homosexual may include me in this label), but usually iconoclasts and hedonists aren't out to kill the religious because they're preaching against them. I think we've witnessed enough overzealous and self-righteous preachers fall to know that everyone is not always whom they appear to be. None are righteous, except Him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bspill1
    Religion and our origin are full of mysteries. We're all looking through a dark glass trying to perceive what's on the other side.

I wasn't referring to people homeschooling their kids. I believe I said that prior to Chris' comment on homeschooling. A "cause for concern for all of us" is when people want to strap bombs on themselves and blow everyone around them up because they don't accept their beliefs.
    It wasn't Chris but Wise Young, and it was your first post after he expressed his concern regarding what religious parents teach their children at home about creation. That was the 'dogma' being discussed at the time - not people blowing themselves up.

The religious can say what they want about iconoclasts and hedonists (my being homosexual may include me in this label), but usually iconoclasts and hedonists aren't out to kill the religious because they're preaching against them. I think we've witnessed enough overzealous and self-righteous preachers fall to know that everyone is not always whom they appear to be. None are righteous, except Him.
    Not really true at all. I think it's safe to say that more Jews and even Roman Catholics were killed in secular, communist Russia than homosexuals have been killed by so-called Christians in the US. In one period alone, the Revolution of 1917, the communists (official stance toward religion - atheist) killed upward of 250,000 civilian Jews. So you can talk about how much more righteous non-religious people are, or you can embrace the point that Chick brought up: evil acts arise from humanity, not religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bspill1
    If by he you mean Jon Voight, he was born in 1938 and is thankfully still with us.

Here's a video of me getting out of the South and going back to NYC!:

Like Bill Maher would say: (paraphrasing) Communism is like a religion. Whenever people put their complete faith into a dictator or regime, it's the same mentality as a religion.

I will not embrace that point as intellectually inferior () that may make me in your eyes. Animals kill people, too, but they don't do so out of religion, yet people do. Trying to take the blame off of religious dogma is dishonest because it's religious dogma that indoctrinates the people that can do those evil things in its name. Isn't Nazism evil in itself? The fact that people committed genocide doesn't take the blame off the propaganda that caused the Holocaust.