Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Earth is older than 6000 years

The Earth is older than 6000 years

This is a cute blog.
    http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog?blog=3...=1&disp=single

Hi, I'm a woolly mammoth. Me and my kind were mooping around on Earth for about 1.5 million years, my ancestors originally came from Africa but over 6 million years or so we spread out quite a bit. It was pretty cold up north and the poor mammoths that weren't as woolly died out and soon we were all woolly. We died out completely around 10000 years ago, we know this because you guys haven't found any of my kind younger than that.

The creationists claim I died out in a giant flood which wiped the Earth clean of all life (apart from what Noah could fit on his boat). These guys claim I was around for about 2000 years, after some guy created the Earth 6000 years ago.

So when did I really live?

Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Interesting

We are still living in the dinosaur ages. We are no different than "Land of the Lost" but with a different facade.

I would jump into the La Brea Tar Pits w/ the rest of the fossils if I could.

Where's the cure?
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

The tarpits of La Brea are a good example. I don't understand how anybody who has ever visited the tarpits in LA could ever believe that the world is only 6,000 years old. I am of divided mind about this. Should we allow a museum to make the creationist case that is known to be false but is being presented as fact? How about movies that show cavemen alongside brontosauruses? I think that if there were a movie showing a flat earth, people might protest. By the way, this would not apply to movies that are fiction. For example, nobody would protest a Harry Potter movie. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    ...For example, nobody would protest a Harry Potter movie. Wise.
    But in fact some do! They claim it promotes witchcraft. Apparently that fantasy is too close to their perception of reality for their comfort. If they didn't think it could happen they wouldn't feel threatened.
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rfbdorf
    But in fact some do! They claim it promotes witchcraft. Apparently that fantasy is too close to their perception of reality for their comfort. If they didn't think it could happen they wouldn't feel threatened.
    - Richard
    But apparently not promiscuity.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Ha ha, "mooping"! Moving + pooping?

Dr. Young,

Religious dogma is stupidity by consensus.

I am unsure. Freedom of belief is a right. Most of us would probably agree that freedom to be bamboozled is a right of sorts. While most of us agree that the concept of teaching creationism as science in high school is unacceptable. However, what about parents doing home-schooling of children and teaching them that the world is 6000 yeas old. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    I am unsure. Freedom of belief is a right. Most of us would probably agree that freedom to be bamboozled is a right of sorts. While most of us agree that the concept of teaching creationism as science in high school is unacceptable. However, what about parents doing home-schooling of children and teaching them that the world is 6000 yeas old. Wise.
    I went to a Yeshiva for high school and I was taught that the world is not 6000 years old. It's less than that. Right now the world is 5,768 years old (we count our years from the Creation which means the Hebrew year is 5768). I do not think my belief in this harms society and so I do not see what is so bad about it. Especially since we don't demand that everyone else believe it.