Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18x16 ZRa-c Pics

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    Actually 3.25 isn't really all that far back. We need to start out more on the stable side since this is his first chair, but I wanted the clamps in front of the backrest hinge to make moving the axle forward easier when he's ready. As the pic shows, if the value I spec'd was less than 3.25", the clamp would have had to share a bolt with the backrest hinge and would have been another 1/2" or so further back. To move it forward, additional bolts and coved washers would need to be installed to free up the clamp (TiLite ships this hardware with the chair). By instructing them to mount it where I did, only a 3/16" Allen wrench is needed to move the axle forward.
    yep, i wish we'd have figured this idea out before i ordered mine, ya turkey.

it's not real tippy at 3.25? i can pop my 16x17 80 degree front up pretty easy. i'm at 2.5 so i'll end up with 3.0 or 3.25 to get me outta the backrest bracket.

it's not a godawful task but sure could'a made things a lil easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Curious... How old are these "Vetrans"? Cause they got some stylin chairs!
    The titanium ultralightweight wheelchairs I've posted on CareCure have been issued to veterans who's ages range from 25 to 56. Most of the veterans I work with are 40 or older, but I have some younger guys who were on active duty when they were injured.

Some are also older. Last month, I evaluated an 82 year old veteran who sustained his SCI in Normandy on D Day + 4. He was requesting a replacement for his E&J Premier Classic. You know what I spec'd out for him? Another Premier Classic! (They can be custom made through Graham Field). If he's been paraplegic for 63 years and is still able to function in it, who I am to argue? I have another WWII veteran who became paraplegic as a result of shrapnel from German artillery at Anzio Beach. The doctors basically left him in triage to die. When they realized he wasn't going to "not live to their expectations", they decided they better start doing something. Today, he is still driving and does his own shopping using a powerchair with power tilt and an elevating seat.

One of the reason's I love working for the VA is that it gives me an opportunity to express my gratitude to those who have served.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee
    maybe VETS get better insurance?
    They actually have their own health care system (i.e. the VA) which actually ranks higher than the private sector on many measures of patient satisfaction. Ironically, this may be due to the the VA system being "behind the times" in health care administration. Since they do not focus strictly on the bottom line and productivity statistics, VA clinicians can focus on providing quality care. With regard to wheelchairs, as long as I can make a common sense justification of why a given wheelchair will be best for the needs of a particular individual, the veteran will usually receive it. The VA also drives a hard bargain with companies who want to do business with them and they often pay less half of the MSRP. At my VA Regional SCI Center, our Prosthetics service (who is responsible for purchasing medical equipment for veterans), has come to realize that if they pay a little more now for something which is durable, preserves upper limb function, minimizes the risk of pressure ulcers, and takes into account the personal preferences of the veteran, they will save money later. After all, they have to pay for repairs and equipment needed in the future to deal with any secondary complications At some point they will have to purchase the veteran's next wheelchair.

VA employees, however, have private insurance. That's why I did my ZRc on a budget through SportAid.
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    yep, i wish we'd have figured this idea out before i ordered mine, ya turkey.

it's not real tippy at 3.25? i can pop my 16x17 80 degree front up pretty easy. i'm at 2.5 so i'll end up with 3.0 or 3.25 to get me outta the backrest bracket.

it's not a godawful task but sure could'a made things a lil easier.
    I'm not sure 3.25" will always get the clamps in front of the hinge. As far as the ZRa's stability, the tippiness of a wheelchair will be a function of the chair's center of mass, the physical characteristics of the user, and the user's posture.

Steeve,

Thanks for the cup holder link. I ordered one for him today.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 11-10-2007 at 01:02 AM.

SCI-OTR,I'm thinking of ordering ZRA with 18" seat depth as opposed to my current 16" depth. How tall is your vet. What caused you to coose 18" chair depth?

Thanks for the TiLite product line previews!

I have a question for my long drawn-out and neglected 'getting a ZR' project...

Or do you think I would have to order the 'reinforced' frame to get the backrest frame holes not-just-drilled-through-bare-tubing, with a 'reinforcing flange' welded in?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Thanks for the TiLite product line previews!

I have a question for my long drawn-out and neglected 'getting a ZR' project...

Or do you think I would have to order the 'reinforced' frame to get the backrest frame holes not-just-drilled-through-bare-tubing, with a 'reinforcing flange' welded in?
    I do not know for certain what the differences are on the ZR reinforced frame, but the flanges are not part of the standard frame.

Probably because it is made of 1.25" tubing, a larger diameter 5/16-24x2" backrest bolt is used with a bronze bushing instead of your TR's 1/4-28 x 1.75" bolt and spacer. The bolt also passes through a hole in the end cap.

Seeing that the backrest bolt is out there by it's lonesome at the end of the frame (i.e. there is no lower frame rail applying torsion on the tubing at the hole when the frame is flexed), I would think there is a lower probability of failure on the ZR series.

For most, the non-reinforced backrest should suffice. In your case Andy, they may want to add depleted uranium inserts inside the tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by 611
    SCI-OTR,I'm thinking of ordering ZRA with 18" seat depth as opposed to my current 16" depth. How tall is your vet. What caused you to coose 18" chair depth?
    This ZRa is 18 wide x 16 deep. The vast majority of veterans I have order rigid frames for have seat depths of either 16 or 17" deep. It depends more on front frame angle, distance from the back-of-seat to back-of-knee, and the amount of posterior pelvic tilt the person needs for stability.

On ZR's with seat depths of 16 or less, some may want to consider getting the frame length 1" longer than seat depth to increase the wheelbase. This would make the frame dimensions similar to an existing Quickie, Invacare, or Top End style rigid frame. It may also provide some endo insurance when encountering pavement irregularities--especially for those who need to have a little more weight on the front casters. The trade off is a slight decrease in the ability to maneuver the wheelchair in tight areas.

Specs illustrated. Seat to footrest discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    - 18x16 TiLite ZRA-c
    - 80 Degree Front Angle
    - V front end with 12" footrest Width
    - 14.5" Seat-to-Footrest Length (Extension tubes adjusted downward to ~16" at the time of photo)
    - Seat-To-Floor Heights: 19" Front/15.5" Rear
    - COG: 3.25"
    - Rear Wheel Spacing: 1"
    - 2 Degrees Camber
    - 4" x1" Billet Aluminum Casters w/ Soft Roll Tire
    - 25"x1" Spinergy LX Wheels, Primo Passage Tires, and NaturalFit Handrims
    Because of some recent PM's I have received, I figured it might be helpful to illustrate the specs for the front frame and discuss in more-detail the seat-to-footrest spec ...

I nearly screwed up on the seat-to-footrest length on my 17x16 85 degree ZRc. The measurement I used was based on an 17x16 85 degree Quickie GT. Since a Quickie's frame extends an inch or so past the upholstery before the bend starts, the back of the footrest is further away.

While the pic below is not scaled exactly, both the GTi and ZRa have an 80 degree front frame, a 16" seat depth, and were both set to where I felt comfortable sitting in them. I should also mention that the seat upholstery on the ZRa is tension adjustable by straps and has been moved 1/4" further back on the frame at the time of this pic.

You can see that d2 is longer than d1, so if I ordered a new TiLite using the seat-to-footrest measurement from the GTi, the footrest length on my new chair could be too long. Since I could only move it up an inch or so, I may not be able to raise it high enough to accommodate the difference. Additionally, if my circumstances changed and I had to switch to a thicker cushion, I could be SOL. If I wanted to install luggage carriers, I may not have enough room on the extension tubes for the clamps. If the spec provided for seat to footrest is conservative, however, there will still be a few inches of downward adjustability.

I used the knowledge gained from the "mistake" I made on my ZRc when I spec'd out this veteran's ZRa. Hopefully, posting this will help other's who are doing their own specs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    Yah my first chair (the one i still have) is the suck. The OT/PT couldn't get me the one she wanted to get me becuase of insurance reasons, maybe VETS get better insurance?
    I don't know how it works for American Veterans', but for Canadian Vets, our medical supplies are covered by either the Canadian Forces, if the member is still serving, or Veteran's Affairs Canada, if the member has been released. We are assessed by an OT and the equipment is ordered based on our physical fitness standards, life style and quality of life. More expensive chairs are harder to justify, however, not impossible, my chair is similar to the one that is pictured only is the series 2 model.

Banned

nuts

Whats up with the nuts and bolts still omg. Get stainless steel alley head incests. I have a question: Where can i buy polished aluminum Hinge plates for seat to back rest?

Quote Originally Posted by iron1651 View Post
    Whats up with the nuts and bolts still omg. Get stainless steel alley head incests. I have a question: Where can i buy polished aluminum Hinge plates for seat to back rest?
    It's a DIY job. Enter "polish titanium" in the Search box.