Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just had my 15 year anniversary. Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by SoulScream
    I can take one soon, would he want to see putting the chair in there too? Mine is an '88, they are fun cars! I really enjoy how easy it is to take pictures and video now a days. I used to have to scan images, now it's so easy to just transfer them to the computer and upload.

Hey wow, you have Dale Earnhardts new number on your car, 88.

Like your attitude, good one to have.

I tried out of vette, but felt it was too hard on my shoulders as they are a very low transfer. I ended up with a Eclipse GT, with the seat in the high position not too bad a transfer, the worst part is pulling in my legs over the high door sill.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie
    Sure, show him the whole thing if you can! That would be great. My husband had an '84 for many years. We sold it after he was injured but I know that he would love another if he thought that he could get in and out by himself.
    I finally had time for the vid, here it is:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74086519501474

I sit onto the sill first.

I always wondered how long a transfer took, looks like only a min.

Welcome SoulScream. Thank you for the video link. Transfers are still my weakness.

Hey Soul

What part of Wisconsin you from? I live in Waupaca. I'm a T-8, a little over 10 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by rathole
    Hey Soul

What part of Wisconsin you from? I live in Waupaca. I'm a T-8, a little over 10 years now.
    I have a hobby farm outside of Adell, that is south of Plymouth, about a half an hour north east to Sheboygan. I am moving somewhere by your area though. Once this place sells we will be looking for land or a country house within a thirty min. commute to Appleton.

Good area by you?

Andrew

I have a hobby farm outside of Adell, that is south of Plymouth, about a half an hour north east to Sheboygan. I am moving somewhere by your area though. Once this place sells we will be looking for land or a country house within a thirty min. commute to Appleton.

Good area by you?

Andrew
    Cool man ! Yeah, this is a good area around here. The famous "Chain of Lakes". We get a lot of tourists in the summer, but they're alright. Waupaca is about 30 minutes from Appleton.

Holler at me once ya get up here.

Just contact me through this site. I'm always reading stuff on here, trying to keep up on the cure.

Later man

Andrew do you have any advice for dealing w/ horses after sci. I grew up around them and would love to ride again. How did you transfer into the saddle and could you do it independently?
    I'm sure I'll have other questions as I think of them. Nice car BTW.
    ~Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

Quote Originally Posted by 68cougar
    Andrew do you have any advice for dealing w/ horses after sci. I grew up around them and would love to ride again. How did you transfer into the saddle and could you do it independently?
    I'm sure I'll have other questions as I think of them. Nice car BTW.
    ~Kristi
    Kristi, it really went well with riding. I started out by taking lessons at a therapeutic equestrian center. I looked at this as riding lessons but the county looked it as therapy and covered the cost. I rode for a few years at this place: http://www.avalontec.org/ They have trails through the hills and woods and trail riding is what I really like to do.

Transfers were always good to me. At the above stable they had a ramp up onto a mounting block, really it was a large table. In my chair I was level with the horse, so it was very easy to transfer a short distance from the chair to the horse. I could do this no problem by myself. If there is not a mounting block with a ramp, the back of a truck pickup bed works well. I ended up making a ramp for at home. There were times that I transferred from the chair on the ground to the horse. I was able to grip the saddle and then a fence post or something high to lift myself up, someone had to throw a leg over the saddle for me then though. This way is not recomended because the horse can move! It is possible for someone to give you a boost into the saddle as well if you don't weigh a lot.

After taking lessons for a few years I got my own horse. I paid around $100 for rough board at most places, per month. I moved a few times and had to move my horse as well. I boarded at some really nice places, just great people and awesome trails. After boarding for a few years, I bought a hobby farm with my wife.

Having horses at home went really well. The horse operation was all mine so there was a lot of work to do. I used the small rods and tape for fencing: http://www.horseguardfence.com/ it goes together easy. Putting up hay was always a lot of work and I invited family over to help with that. We put up nearly 1,000 bales per year. Chores were so easy though. I just had to roll a short distence to the barn, and throw the hay flakes out of the barn down into the pasture. I also made a water control valve from a washer machine. I would flip the switch which would allow the water to flow, and fill up the water tank. They would drink a fifty gallon tank dry on a summer day. I had to insulate and heat tape the hose for winter.

I highly recomend going to a Michael Richardson clinic if there are any near you. http://www.brokenrranch.com/ He uses a saddle with a back rest and I always thought of getting one like that. I had to bail off twice from spooks that I could have rode out with a backrest. I had a rather hot blooded horse though. A Paso Fino, and he was a very busy, active horse. I rode many different horses and even real laid back horses will spook. So if you get a horse for your own, look long and hard.

If you do ground work, and you should, be very proactive with your body space. It is easy for the horse to be close and step on your toes.

Once my daughter was born we started getting out of horses and I do not have any right now. I found that once I stopped boarding and had my horses as home, I spent more time taking care of them then riding. It was easy to set times when I boarded, I would have a riding lesson on Tuesday and then on Thursday I would ride my own horse. I would also plan to goto the stable another day during the week for a fun day.

If there is any other way I can help just let me know!

Andrew

Andrew, Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner and thank you for the info. My husband and I had just bought a new horse a couple of months before my injury to replace his mare which had passed on a few years earlier. I never even got to ride the new horse before my accident b/c she had a sand crack in her hoof at the time.
    I'm amazed you could ride without a highback on your saddle. I've only been on a horse one time since my injury and my husband had to ride behind me so I didn't fall over. I've seen Michael Richardson's website before and he doesn't live too far from my mother in law in Texas so the next time we're down there I'm gonna try to meet him. Thanks again, Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

I always wondered how long a transfer took, looks like only a min.
    Yup, me too. You're not a small guy either! Nice to know that a chair that fits you, also fits into a sports car as small as a Vette. One question though, does it fit in the car with two passengers? That's one reason that I like my Mustang and the 355. Also, have you ever tried to break down your chair and throw it into the car while your feet and legs were still outside the car? That's how I do it. I just wonder if that might be quicker for you.

How often do you get a chance to track your car? Do you attend the BRIC at Road America? Great event. One of my favorites. A chance to see some of the best sports cars every built, run at speed.

I highly recomend going to a Michael Richardson clinic if there are any near you.
    I may have to look into this. It's been so many years since I was on a horse. It's the greatest loss of my life. Thank you for the link.

C.