Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: C5/C6 quads

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    i'm just frustrated because i have to rely on other people for so much. 1.5 years of 'could you empty my leg bag, hand me the remote, get my wrist brace, hold that cup up?'
    i just want to be able to spend a full day w/o asking someone to do this stuff... it gets old. i'm pretty confident that pushing everywhere, transfers, and driving will come in time, but i'm pretty sure that cathing, cooking, etc. will be next to impossible w/o some significant hand/wrist function
    If you're confident in being able to push everywhere and transfer... then the other stuff you're concerned about really shouldn't be much to be less confident about. If you can push well and transfer, you have (and/or will continue to get) pretty significant wrist function.

You need to work more on fine motor functional skills and activities, incl. managing your leg bag, cooking, etc. Other stuff like "can you get me the remote", "get my wrist bracer", "hold that cup up", are the more simple tasks, and seems rather more about you not bothering to just getting your own stuff.

Tendon transfer surgery may or may not help you much more than you might be already capable of, with just more practice. You're still less than 2 years, so I'm sure you'll get stronger and more functional and more independence than you have now.... with some time and lotsa practice. If you don't have triceps, you will likely require the 2-part procedure (brachial, and bicep or delt), which will be at least 6 months per arm (more discussion on that in chappelles thread).

Anyway, if you can't empty legbag right now, or do some other stuff, explain what you want to be able to do here, and let others give you feedback on how THEY do those same things.

btw. I'm c5-6 FUNCTION complete - asia A. I had legbag for about 11 years, and emptied on my own - not so well in begininning. Worried about handling a catheter to intermittent cath, but learned to do that w/mitro, as few other c5-6 women also have here.
    I don't use any adaptive equipment, per se... but have adapted ways of doing stuff and using different tools for function -- eg. using a toothbrush to type this right now. I cook on the stove and use the conventional oven, etc.

Some of this will depend on how 'tight' your hands and fingers are, enabling 'grip' - for utensils, cups, pens, etc. I like to keep my fingers, thumb tucked under and in fist sometimes, to minimize stretching out of hand and to maintain tone = "grip".

The big question is "How much exersicing/practice do you do on your wrists?"

Being stuck in bed for the last 3 yrs and typing only with 1 and... my weak side, has phenominally increased the functionality.

I'm like above, wait it out for a few more years, try doing things over and over, then bif say at year 5, its still nothing, giver, but at 1 1/2yrs you're still gaining small amounts. Plus unike bicepts, wrists are small muscles and can't get worked te same... Get an OT to make a development program.. Try natural over modified first.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    do you have any wrist movement like Tenodesis?
    very little, when my hand is flat on a table and i try to lift it up, i can't raise my hand off all the way. on top of that, my fingers have almost no tone
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

how r u doing w/ the new chair. are u running it exclusivly
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    how r u doing w/ the new chair. are u running it exclusivly
    i love it... made a big difference. maybe once a week i'll take a day off to give my shoulders a break, but they start killing me from not pushing. depending on the incline, i still need help w/ ramps
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

great man. keep up the good work. u will get your independence[sp]
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    i love it... made a big difference. maybe once a week i'll take a day off to give my shoulders a break, but they start killing me from not pushing. depending on the incline, i still need help w/ ramps
    Needing help at ramps is no big deal i'm 2 1/2 yrs out and still need help at certain ramps. I would give it more time before surgery. I live independently except GF helps with my bowel. it's all triial and error man. I transfer everywhere also and cath. I credit alot to rugby
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

I may not be a good example in this case, I’m a C5/C7 Inc, but I have great hand/finger function on the left, and good hand/finger function on the right.

Although I do live at home, I’m fully independent. Cooking full meals, cleaning, bathing, bathroom, driving, all of it. I stay at home because the house has been modified.

The key to independence, at least in my case, is the mods done on the house and a few pieces of adaptive equipment. Of all of them is the roll-in shower is the absolute most important.

I know it would be a whole hellva lot harder to function if I didn’t have my hands, but even if I didn’t, I would wait a long time before I let some doctor cut on me.

If it were me I would FULLY explore the adaptive equipment/technique options and only consider surgery as the absolute last resort…

Do you have tenodesis, i.e. your hand grip gets tighter when you bend your wrist up?

I'd wait. Chappell was injured 5 years before he got this done. You are in early days of sci, it's hard to believe but true. I have 1 functional hand (c 5-6 inc) so am not trying to advise, just saying what I'd do.

Work those hands! Folding towels is the best OT of all, and washing dishes too. Dress yourself? If not, start. Yeah, it takes forever, what could be more important than maxing out your return? Try picking up coins while watching tv. Fine motor is so much a matter of practice...

Hi – my partner is a c4/c5 incomplete one year and three months post injury. Once she started to see returns her doctor here and the ones at Craig gave her the same options. Botox, surgeries etc. anything that could help her gain the independence that seemed so close but just a little out of reach, so to speak. And the final straw was when she tried to push her wheelchair for the first time and her hands refused to cooperate. She then decided she would do whatever it took to make it happen. But I was able to convince her to wait. Now the only major thing left to cross off the list is cathing and bowel program, which we are currently working on. She drives on her own with no car mods and the only home mods are an elevator and shower bars. And that wheelchair she couldn’t push and was convinced it would never happen – it hasn’t been used for twelve weeks now. Just like everyone else she works her ass off getting her body to function. Eats and drinks right, takes proteins and goes to the gym six days a week. It has paid off for her and continues to do so. Is it perfect – no not even close – yet. Time truly is her worst enemy and she still has a lot of help because of a lack of it. You are so young and it is still so early in your recovery, I wish you would wait and keep working at it and give it some more time. That being said, I am not sure how long I could have kept her from doing the same thing you are considering – it must be excrutiating to have independence be so close. If you go through with it please listen to others and do all of the research possible beforehand. Just do what is the absolute best for YOU and know that you have tons of support no matter what you decide.