Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: C5/C6 quads

i'm just frustrated because i have to rely on other people for so much. 1.5 years of 'could you empty my leg bag, hand me the remote, get my wrist brace, hold that cup up?'
    i just want to be able to spend a full day w/o asking someone to do this stuff... it gets old. i'm pretty confident that pushing everywhere, transfers, and driving will come in time, but i'm pretty sure that cathing, cooking, etc. will be next to impossible w/o some significant hand/wrist function
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Do a search on tendon transfers here. I've written a ton and Chappell wrote a novel. Being a C5/6 complete, I have had both done. LOVE MINE!!! Wouldn't trade not doing it for anything... within reason. Easier to drive, pick up food like chips and wings. No more cuffs for utensils, typing or writing. Draining my bag is easier, picking up the phone, grabbing a remote, holding a cup with a handle, holding bottled water.. I could go on and on. Oh yeah, it's reversible too, except for your thumb.. If you decide to do it, only do your dominate hand. If you like it, then do your other.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Then do the surgery, what do you got to loose?
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Jeff, maybe you could make a video to demonstrate and the MOD could sticky it. Just a thought...
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs
    Jeff, maybe you could make a video to demonstrate and the MOD could sticky it. Just a thought...
    i seriously was about to ask him to do the same thing
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs
    Hmmm... not a bad idea.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I was c5/c6 but I think I went down a level because I have triceps and weak wrists now. I live alone, have help 3x a week for 3 hrs a shift. I cath intermittently, cook simple foods. I could cook more but cooking for one ain't much fun. My PCA cleans my house, helps me shop, inserts a suppo and wipes my ass. I 'could' do everything by myself, but I want to have the care there as I get older and less able without having to fight the government for more hours.

Tendon transfers make me uneasy. I'd rather adapt to the body I have than start modding it.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    i'm just frustrated because i have to rely on other people for so much. 1.5 years of 'could you empty my leg bag, hand me the remote, get my wrist brace, hold that cup up?'
    i just want to be able to spend a full day w/o asking someone to do this stuff... it gets old. i'm pretty confident that pushing everywhere, transfers, and driving will come in time, but i'm pretty sure that cathing, cooking, etc. will be next to impossible w/o some significant hand/wrist function
    It will get easier. The first 3 years I used a cuff for utensils, a brace for writing and applying makeup, someone taking my notes in class. It was a pain so I learned to adapt, even took my own lecture notes in College. I can hold cups, remote, phone etc and drive, but from my chair. I cook only with microwave or toaster oven but I'm not interested in cooking anyway.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

do you have any wrist movement like Tenodesis?

Add something to your legbag to open it differently. what do you have on it now? it may be a matter of positioning.

listen dude, 1.5yrs is nothing.....my hands dont worki, i do everything including cook. i have a cleaning ladie but only because my schedule is tight. dont get down. practice everthing, your going to spill shit, your going to frall but u will learn. theres no magic surgery or anything else just time

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer