Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: C5/C6 quads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ATTN: C5/C6 quads

First off, I'm starting this thread because I'm at a point where I need to decide whether or not to go forward with a tendon transfer surgery. The way the therapist and Dr. I talked to at Craig Hospital made it sound, the procedure could potentially give me the equivalent of nearly full wrist extensors.
    Right now I'm nearly one half years post and I do have trace extensors, and at this point it seems that's about all it will amount to. I'm really wanting to do this so I can start doing more on my own (driving, cathing, preparing meals, and pick up my own house for once).
    I guess I should get to the point... how many quads functioning at a C5/C6 level are able to go throughout a day and function completely independently? fuentejps is really the only one I know of at this point. I know quartermile transfers and drives on his own (my main goal), but I was curious who else out there is mostly independent.
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

I met my Dr. as a c5/c6 incomplete and as she put it I moved up to a C6 most of my paralysis is on my right side and I am far from being completely independent if ever but I try like hell to do what I can..I think that with this baclofen pump I will get better function of my foot, my hand is already showing improvement..but I don't think I'll ever get rid of my chair..or gain full use of my hands..but it will make things a little easier..Idon't think that I'll ever drive again either but that is me...

i considered this last year....i compromised and got a colostomy instead......
    Last edited by justadildo; 11-06-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Jbinny

You need to read this thread by Chris Chappell (what a shame he doesn't post anymore) on that very subject. There's a long debate and a description of Chris' surgery, recovery and gains.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=5767
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

i'm far from independent now (also due to the fact that the apt. i rent isn't ideal), but my short-term goals in order to improve my quality of life is to get my driver's license (i've been taking lessons but i have to wait to take the test for bureaucratic reasons) and to get a mitrofanoff and bladder augmentation so that hopefully i'll be able to cath myself. who knows, maybe tendon transfer after that?
    if i recall correctly 2JazzyJeff did the tendon transfer too

I was looking at that thread that rehabrhino pulled up. it looks very interesting..I think that I will read through it to night..just for learning purposes..now this does not do any thing for the spasms right?

jbinny,

I have a dear friend on this site who's had this done. If you want, PM me and I'll give you his screen name here. You two could perhaps talk by phone. I'd really want you to be fully informed and talk to others who've had this done before doing something so drastic. I know that it didn't do too much for my friend.

I live alone, and am mostly independent, meaning I do my own transfers, drive a modified van, and toilet independently. I have every gadget out there to help with hand stuff because I have no strength or grip. If it doens't have a humongous handle I can't use it, and nothing having to do with eating or food prep is in my kitchen unless it has passed the bounce test. If it falls on the floor and doesn't shatter, then it is usable. I don't really cook, but I do put stuff in the microwave, if that counts.

Duh, I forgot to say that I have not had a tendon transfer. A friend of mine did, and it wasn't terrific for him.

i wouldnt do it. return will come for many years bro. lift, eat, push and transfer youll get it
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer