Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some help

I need some help

I need some help at http://blog.nj.com/njv_gregg_edwards...t.html#preview

There are a whole bunch of people piling on, criticizing the New Jersey stem cell bond act. I am doing my best to answer them but there are a lot of them.

wise.

Done!
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Dr. Young,

I ran for reinforcements first. I forwarded your request to Don Reed and Karen Miner. They've activated their network and Don's blog is about your request http://www.stemcellbattles.com/index.htm.

I also followed Don's advice and responded myself.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJen
    Dr. Young,

I ran for reinforcements first. I forwarded your request to Don Reed and Karen Miner. They've activated their network and Don's blog is about your request http://www.stemcellbattles.com/index.htm.

I also followed Don's advice and responded myself.

Thanks very much. They really piled on. It started with an article that was critical of one that I wrote and then all these really negative people came on board. One is obvious from the right-to-life group. I don't know about the rest.

Wise.

i will never understand why some ab people are against science and a cure.
    how can i help from europe [romania]sir?i need a cure ....
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

I read some good posts in support of yours Dr. Young. But sadly, Faye is clouding things up with her usual rhetoric. Tuesday will tell...
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

my god ...dr.young is trying to help and to find a cure and some people are against a cure....shame on faye and others who are working hard to stop [research and trials] .booooooo.......faye.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    my god ...dr.young is trying to help and to find a cure and some people are against a cure....shame on faye and others who are working hard to stop [research and trials] .booooooo.......faye.
    I really don't understand Faye. If her goal is to get New Jersey to do more embryonic stem cell research, this isn't a good wya to go about doing it. It is threatening the entire initiative and Faye seems willing to cut off her own nose in order to spite her face (Source). Based on a little knowledge, she often goes overboard, like when she criticized the use of methylprendisolone for spinal cord injury. I recently saw her son in Boston. I sincerely wish he had received methylprednisolone because it might have spared some of the damage to his brainstem. I am saddened by all the infighting amongst the disability community.

Notice that some disabled people there are arguing for using the $450 million for disability care and services. I don't know how much New Jersey is spending on disability services but I know that the Department of Human Services of New Jersey has a budget of $4.9 billion for 2008. A significanti portion of that budget goes for disability services. For example, just for pharmaceutical asisstance alone, for example, New Jersey subsidzed payments for the prescription drugs of 187.900 elderly and 29,600 individiuals with disabilities). The amount that is going for disability services vastly exceeds the investment into reseach that may help reduce the disabiilities.

Care and Cure are not opposed to each other. Cure will eventually reduce the cost of care but I hope that what it will do is allow the funds that are saved from cures to be used to take better care of the people who are not yet cured. In discussions with people with the ADA community, who have strongly opposed cure research in the past, I have come to the understanding that while most of them may not want to "cure" for themselves, they agree that their disability is not something that they would wish upon their children or future generations.

Wise.

I wish Jason's brainstem could have been spared also, no matter what it took. MP, howling at the moon, ESC's, whatever. He's a nice kid. Good luck on Tuesday, Wise. I won't respond over there because it would just start a personal shitstorm and help nobody, but I'm pulling for you!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    I wish Jason's brainstem could have been spared also, no matter what it took. MP, howling at the moon, ESC's, whatever. He's a nice kid. Good luck on Tuesday, Wise. I won't respond over there because it would just start a personal shitstorm and help nobody, but I'm pulling for you!
    betheny, thanks. For a while it looks as if they were piling on too fast for me to handle. Don Reed wrote this hilariousl funny blog, urging people to write in. I had such a great chuckle over that. You know, I think that internet was invented for Don. He is such a great guy. In any case, for a long while there were nothing but negatives, every reason why we should not fund the stem cell initiative. I guess that is what referendums are all about. We have to win their hearts and minds. Whoever thought that this was a slam dunk should think again. I hope that the people who posted on the thread are not representative of New Jersey voters. If they are, we have lost.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 11-05-2007 at 07:35 AM.