Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Policy Statement: Deletions of memberships, threads, and posts

red hot deal
    Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    thanks sjean. I could write a stored procedure that would update all database tables containing my old username with my new username in all posts and quoted remarks, if I put in the effort. But I don't know how much access the admin folks at CC have to execute sql packages and/or if there are proprietary issues with the MySql back end of the vBulletin sw, etc. Plus running such a procedure would take hours and hours, likely slowing everything down for everyone else.

But that's beside the point, I'm just pondering a solution to a particular situation, and I'm just typing as I'm thinking I'm often accused of instantly typing what comes into my head, without putting in much effort at self-restraint or filtering my thoughts before I type them out and hit submit

I'll let it rest here until I come to a confirmation in mine own mind, then if any more is needed I'll PM Dr Wise or Steven.

Thanks everybody for your info, even you Mr Internet
    By the way, I just registered as a new member named "red_hot_deal" (because I want to delete the membership, so that you could see what happens).

I don't understand... If I change your username from rdf to xxx, it will change the name on all your posts that now says rdf to xxx. But any further post that you post will have the name xxx associated with it.

If you really don't wnat people to know who you are and they currently know that you are rdf and can come to this site to look for your posts, the way to handle it is if you were to register under a new username, say yyy. I would then change rdf to xxx. That was what I was suggesting.

Note that people on this site would be confused. That is why I don't want to do it unless there is a good reason. If you are getting in trouble with your work because of what you are posting, that seems to be reason enough.

Okay, in the meantime, I will post this as "red hot deal" and then delete that account. I want to show you that this will not removed the posts that I have made as "red hot deal".

Wise.

But that's beside the point, I'm just pondering a solution to a particular situation, and I'm just typing as I'm thinking I'm often accused of instantly typing what comes into my head, without putting in much effort at self-restraint or filtering my thoughts before I type them out and hit submit
    consider cached pages as well if you think the issue warrants it.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I had registered as a new member with the username of "red hot deal", posted what I did below, and then deleted the membership account. As you can see, deleting the membership does not get rid of the posts or even the name associated with the post.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise
    If you really don't wnat people to know who you are and they currently know that you are rdf and can come to this site to look for your posts, the way to handle it is if you were to register under a new username, say yyy. I would then change rdf to xxx. That was what I was suggesting.

Note that people on this site would be confused. That is why I don't want to do it unless there is a good reason. If you are getting in trouble with your work because of what you are posting, that seems to be reason enough.

Okay, in the meantime, I will post this as "red hot deal" and then delete that account. I want to show you that this will not removed the posts that I have made as "red hot deal".

Wise.
    Thanks Wise, I don't want to confuse people reading posts that might not make sense due to contradictory usernames.

So in order to avoid that confusion, I should change all instances of my old username, should I create a new membership, so no contradiction exists. Meaning also changing the posts where I've been quoted. I think you before somewhere said that you can't do that. Is that because you and the other admins dont' have the needed privileges of sys or sysadmin, or whatever they are called in MySql, to do so? But in order to create new users, you must have this sys/sysadmin privilege granted for at least the specific purpose of creating new users.... is this superuser privilege granted in full, meaning you can always logon as sys/sysadmin and therefore can execute sql statements and packages and procedures on the DB??

I have the knowledge to do that if you have the required privilege, and I only wonder if your license or whatever relationship you have with vBulletin allows you to execute a procedure or package I could write that would not just address my username in my posts, but also address where my old username is used via someone quoting something I've posted under the old username, in their own posts. I don't know if you're working under a paid license, or one given in appreciation of the work you do. I know many people at Oracle Corp. that would likely grant the same free license if that is the case, if I told them of the work you do - it'd speed up retrieval of data from the DB by at least a factor of two. But that's for another day, for you'd have to change the interface, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

If this is not possible, please let me know. It would likely take hours to execute such a procedure on MySql on the server you're currently using, which is a drawback. But if I thought the need to do so was warranted and convinced you of the same, could you and would you do such a thing?

Again, I'm torn between capitulation and outright dissent where my situation comes into play. I don't like to even imagine having to change everything, and it's unlikely I'll capitulate, but I'd like to have an escape route if possible in case a sec_____ le____ is issued to someone or some entitity, where I won't be informed under penalty of prosecution against those who might feel the need and/or desire to indeed inform me of such a thing, but are afraid to do so. It's not the America I grew up in, that's for damned sure.

btw, the emails sent to my the Ethics Officer were at least 2-4 years ago. I no longer am a salaried employee, but I am sometimes asked by the same corp. to do contract work from time to time, and often it is work for which I need my clearance, which is the crux of the matter and which prompted this thread to begin with.

thanks
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

rdf,

We have all the necessary permissions and ability to change the posts. We can do this either with tools available to us through the website software or make the changes directly to the database.

It is a huge amount of work to do. You have now posted over 4500 messages on this bulletin board. Many, if not most, of your messages have been responded to by multiple members who have quoted your messages in their responses and also directly responded to what you have written. So, not only do your messages have to be edited to eliminate personal references that may tell people who you are but messages by other people have to be edited. I don't think that it is feasible.

I also want to point out, as others have, that eliminating posts from Carecure doesn't eliminate those posts from internet. Many web sites are tracking and archiving copies of old posts on vBulletin software. Because CareCure is one of the most popular websites, what is written on this site can often be found in other site and even translated. So, there is no way of erasing all references to rdf on the internet. Any person or group that is determined to find out information will be able to do so. By the way, Google is only one of hundreds of search engines. Just because Google doesn't show it doesn't mean that it has disappeared from Internet.

Several months ago, I made the Politics Forum a forum that only members can see and read. This was because I was concerned that CareCure was being banned in China and India because of extreme statements that some members may be making, particularly in the Politics Forum. I was in India and found that I could not get to CareCure because its URL address was banned. This surprised me until I read several news articles indicating that India was banning web sites that contain inflammatory information concerning muslims. I don't know if you remember but there had been some very inflammatory and inappropriate posts about muslims in our Politics forum. So, what I did was to make the Politics a private members only forum. In other words, if somebody is not a registered member, they cannot read or even see that such a forum exists. I will be going back to India in August and will look to see if CareCure can be accessed once more.

Last year, I found that certain cities and provinces in China banned CareCure. For example, I have had problems getting to CareCure from Xi'an and Fuzhou in the past. On my recent trip to Xi'an and Beijing, I had no trouble getting to CareCure at all. I don't know if this has anything to do with my making the politics forum private or not but it is good to know that CareCure is no longer on the banned website list for China. By the way, as I understand it, the banning of web sites in China is done at a provincial level (rather than as a country).

By the way, I don't think that you are being paranoid. Our web site is monitored by the U.S. government. A year or two ago, Rutgers received a phone call from the U.S. Secret Service within days after somebody had posted threats concerning the president on this site (in the politics forum).

Wise.

Thanks Wise, I don't want to confuse people reading posts that might not make sense due to contradictory usernames.

So in order to avoid that confusion, I should change all instances of my old username, should I create a new membership, so no contradiction exists. Meaning also changing the posts where I've been quoted. I think you before somewhere said that you can't do that. Is that because you and the other admins dont' have the needed privileges of sys or sysadmin, or whatever they are called in MySql, to do so? But in order to create new users, you must have this sys/sysadmin privilege granted for at least the specific purpose of creating new users.... is this superuser privilege granted in full, meaning you can always logon as sys/sysadmin and therefore can execute sql statements and packages and procedures on the DB??

I have the knowledge to do that if you have the required privilege, and I only wonder if your license or whatever relationship you have with vBulletin allows you to execute a procedure or package I could write that would not just address my username in my posts, but also address where my old username is used via someone quoting something I've posted under the old username, in their own posts. I don't know if you're working under a paid license, or one given in appreciation of the work you do. I know many people at Oracle Corp. that would likely grant the same free license if that is the case, if I told them of the work you do - it'd speed up retrieval of data from the DB by at least a factor of two. But that's for another day, for you'd have to change the interface, but it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

If this is not possible, please let me know. It would likely take hours to execute such a procedure on MySql on the server you're currently using, which is a drawback. But if I thought the need to do so was warranted and convinced you of the same, could you and would you do such a thing?

Again, I'm torn between capitulation and outright dissent where my situation comes into play. I don't like to even imagine having to change everything, and it's unlikely I'll capitulate, but I'd like to have an escape route if possible in case a sec_____ le____ is issued to someone or some entitity, where I won't be informed under penalty of prosecution against those who might feel the need and/or desire to indeed inform me of such a thing, but are afraid to do so. It's not the America I grew up in, that's for damned sure.

btw, the emails sent to my the Ethics Officer were at least 2-4 years ago. I no longer am a salaried employee, but I am sometimes asked by the same corp. to do contract work from time to time, and often it is work for which I need my clearance, which is the crux of the matter and which prompted this thread to begin with.

thanks

rdf,

I think the main concern would be posts where people address you as rdf or Bob outside of quotes. MySQL can easily replace all instances of [quote=rdf] with your new username, but making a generic routine to replace all instances of a given name would be difficult. (rdf wouldn't be hard, but Bob would b/c there's no way to guarantee every instance of Bob refers to you).

Steven

thanks
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    rdf,

I think the main concern would be posts where people address you as rdf or Bob outside of quotes. MySQL can easily replace all instances of [*quote=rdf] with your new username, but making a generic routine to replace all instances of a given name would be difficult. (rdf wouldn't be hard, but Bob would b/c there's no way to guarantee every instance of Bob refers to you).

Steven
    Wouldn't have to change Bob, it is my name regardless of my CC username, and would simply be associated my new username, unless my new username was Jim or another first name

Thanks Wise, Steven. I've made my decision for once and for all. I will keep my current username.

Case closed
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I've tried to be cautious about what I post and make public, however I slipped once years ago and now when I google my name, it links to a care thread.
    I don't know if it's impossible, but can some please please delete the photos of my toes on "Purple Toe Nail?" thread or move it to Members/Women's Only?
    (it's an outdated link anyway, back to a student email server, but people could track me from the name in the link. I am very uncomfortable with this situation.)

I will put it in Members Only for the time being. However, I think this should really be a decision for one of our two Administrators.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Surf_Sister View Post
    I've tried to be cautious about what I post and make public, however I slipped once years ago and now when I google my name, it links to a care thread.
    I don't know if it's impossible, but can some please please delete the photos of my toes on "Purple Toe Nail?" thread or move it to Members/Women's Only?
    (it's an outdated link anyway, back to a student email server, but people could track me from the name in the link. I am very uncomfortable with this situation.)
    Surf_Sister,

If you can please send the link of that post in a private message to me or Steven Edwards, we can move it to the Member's Only Forum.

Wise.