Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: Policy Statement: Deletions of memberships, threads, and posts

  1. #11
    As soon as we see it, Mingo. You can always click on the Exclamation mark under the profile pic to report a bad post.

    I've already moved 9 so far today and I scan for them before I do anything else.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards
    As soon as we see it, Mingo. You can always click on the Exclamation mark under the profile pic to report a bad post.
    And since the dot is missing under the exclamation mark on this forum, he means this one:





    -Michael

  3. #13
    Exclamation mark!

    ... It all makes sense now.

    Thanky kindly ...

  4. #14
    Mingo, may I issue a plea? When you click on that notification, the emails come to me. In almost every case, the moderators will have remove the offending spam post within an hour. If it is there for more than a few hours, especially if it is in one of the out-of-the-way forums, please do notify us. However, give us a little time to get rid of the posts. Our moderators have been extremely vigilant in removing posts from the forums as quickly as possible. For example, in the past two weeks, I have not seen any notification where the spam post had not been removed already and usually within an hour after it has been posted. Thanks.

    Wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by mingo
    Points all taken seriously on my part. But I pose a question after the setup:

    Sunday morning there was a post about a nude Sandra Bullock video (who doesn't want that!?!) Once clicking on the link the video wants to download some active X component.

    I don't need to see this cool thing that bad and have further doubts since the colorful XP window pops up while I use the plain old "classic" theme.

    I then posted a caution as first reply.

    How soon will a moderator usually catch this?

    I wanted to alert a mod. But did not see a way. The thread did disappear shortly afterwards.

    Is there a way to alert the powers that be?

    (its not 11:36 ... its 10:36) Standard time ya know....

  5. #15
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise
    <snip>...Members cannot change their usernames. They can change their profile, password, email address, and all other information except for their username. We do not change usernames unless there is a very important reason...<snip>
    What is considered a very important reason, Dr Wise? I've been pondering changing my username to an old nickname of mine, to reflect my regression into the sweet innocence of childhood once again .

    Also, members have in the past emailed my work referencing my username here at CC, alerting my corporation's (large defense contractor) Ethics Officer that I was being a bad and unpatriotic boy because of some of my anti-Iraq-war, anti-Bush posts. In the words of Larry Craig, I was a 'naughty boy, a bad boy, a naughty nasty nasty naughty boy.'
    But my Ethics Officer laughed at the emails that were sent to him from some CC member(s). It was years ago, I might add.

    And what if people simply want a change, either out of boredom, or because they feel they've moved on from their initial username? I've been rdf at your websites for a decade or longer...and I'm not the same person who originally chose that moniker, by far.

    Is this/these important enough reason(s)?

    If it/they are, then let me continue pondering changing my username to my old nickname, and when I've decided whether to follow through, I'll alert you. This is supposing I'd be allowed to do so to begin with.

    thanks
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

  6. #16
    rdf, the reasons that you enumerate would seem to be legitimate and would be sufficient to persuade me to change your username if it would help achieve the goal that you want. I would suggest, however, that it will not enough to fool anybody who might be tracking you and your politics. Whatever we change your name to, it will change on all your posts. Your previous posts will have your new username.

    If you are really serious about changing your identity, you could say goodbye to everybody, register as another person, start posting as that person, and I could change your username. However, sooner or later, somebody who is willing to wade through all your posts would be able to deduce that this is what happened. If we were to delete all your posts, this would make hash out of many threads in which you have posted. In addition, many people have cited your posts.

    Let me try to explain more why we have this policy and what I am trying to achieve. First, this is an information site. People provide information and insights about spinal cord injury and themselves. A lot of the posts contain important information that makes this site unique. Second, carecure is a record of a community. For better or worse, it represents what this community believes about care, cure, and other things including politics. Third and most important, we don't have the time to change the usenames of everybody who wants to change.

    The precursor to carecure was spinewire. When spinewire went down, I was unable to purchase the database that contained nearly a million posts of people from 1997 to 2001. It is sad. I feel as if I am a guardian of history here. CareCure is a view of the history of the spinal cord injury and the world through the eyes of people with spinal cord injury. I feel somehow responsible.

    Wise.



    Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    What is considered a very important reason, Dr Wise? I've been pondering changing my username to an old nickname of mine, to reflect my regression into the sweet innocence of childhood once again .

    Also, members have in the past emailed my work referencing my username here at CC, alerting my corporation's (large defense contractor) Ethics Officer that I was being a bad and unpatriotic boy because of some of my anti-Iraq-war, anti-Bush posts. In the words of Larry Craig, I was a 'naughty boy, a bad boy, a naughty nasty nasty naughty boy.'
    But my Ethics Officer laughed at the emails that were sent to him from some CC member(s). It was years ago, I might add.

    And what if people simply want a change, either out of boredom, or because they feel they've moved on from their initial username? I've been rdf at your websites for a decade or longer...and I'm not the same person who originally chose that moniker, by far.

    Is this/these important enough reason(s)?

    If it/they are, then let me continue pondering changing my username to my old nickname, and when I've decided whether to follow through, I'll alert you. This is supposing I'd be allowed to do so to begin with.

    thanks

  7. #17
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise
    <snip>...The precursor to carecure was spinewire. When spinewire went down, I was unable to purchase the database that contained nearly a million posts of people from 1997 to 2001. It is sad. I feel as if I am a guardian of history here. CareCure is a view of the history of the spinal cord injury and the world through the eyes of people with spinal cord injury. I feel somehow responsible.

    Wise.
    Don't sweat it Wise, I understand how you feel, although the responsible part isn't warranted. It ain't no big thing I can't do without, thanks though. I'll stick with rdf, it's easy to remember, and when I'm feeling ebullient or have had a few, I just switch the letters around backasswards and run with it
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    Don't sweat it Wise, I understand how you feel, although the responsible part isn't warranted. It ain't no big thing I can't do without, thanks though. I'll stick with rdf, it's easy to remember, and when I'm feeling ebullient or have had a few, I just switch the letters around backasswards and run with it
    rdf backwards is FDR. Now, I wonder what the implications are there toward your politics.

  9. #19
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,983
    Quote Originally Posted by ala
    rdf backwards is FDR. Now, I wonder what the implications are there toward your politics.
    Exactly ala. I'm glad to see you're maintaining that incisive grasp of the obvious
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

  10. #20
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    Posts
    12,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise
    <snip>...If you are really serious about changing your identity, you could say goodbye to everybody, register as another person, start posting as that person, and I could change your username. However, sooner or later, somebody who is willing to wade through all your posts would be able to deduce that this is what happened.
    Don't mean to pester, but just to clarify in my mind, if I registered as another person with a new username, what do you mean by, "I could then change your username?"
    Do you mean change all my 'rdf' posts from years past to reflect the new username?

    thanks Wise
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Removing posts from threads.
    By Leif in forum Announcements & Feedback
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 09:10 PM
  2. Search Function on CareCure VbBulletin software
    By Wise Young in forum Announcements & Feedback
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •