Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StimuLITE Supracore honeycomb cusion??

StimuLITE Supracore honeycomb cusion??

My wheelchair eval. dr. recmmended this cusion with my new quicky wheelchair. I havnt used it much since i got it because of pressure sores starting. Traded it out for my roho cusion fom old chair. SEEMS like a bg waste of money...(more than my roho low profile) Its not nearly as soft as the roho. Anyone had good results with that cusion??
    Thanks
    B
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

Roho

I'd take the Roho all the way.
    I love mine.

The Stimulite honeycomb cushions require 2-3 weeks to break in. I've never tried sitting on one long enough to find out. Many people on CareCure swear by them.

I've been using a tattered Low Profile on my work chair for years and have always been comfortable. Because I self-paid for my ZRc and needed to keep my costs as low as possible, I had fabricated a cushion out of two 1" thick pieces of viscous foam. It works for about an hour, but then I start feeling discomfort under my left ischium. This week, I finally ponied up the $250+ to get a Low Profile Roho of my own.

It is so strange to have to spend so much money on equipment. In the VA, I can get just about anything that a veteran might need as long as I make a common sense justification for it. In many instances, I also know what the VA cost is compared to retail. When it comes to my own stuff, however, I am an outsider looking in. Fortunately, I don't have to consult a professional to know what would work best for me. Is it worth it to pay over $250 for a Low Profile Roho? It is to me.

Baron,
    I've been using a chair since 1982....never have had one pressure sore (knock on wood). For the first ten or so years I used the foam cushions which came with the quickies I have used over the years. A friend of mine gave me an extra roho he had and I switched...I used it for about 5 years and while I don't have any real complaints about it I did develop central pain around my left ishial tuberosity and down the back of my left thigh. I can't blame the roho for the development of central pain but a pressure mapping of me sitting in the roho showed severe pressure on (lucky me) my left ishial tuberosity.

My new doc (I recently relocated) recommended the StimuLITE and I have been using it on my new quickie and LOVE it. I always found the roho a little unstable especially after all those years of using foam. Baron did you try out any of the stimulite cushions before purchasing? I tried both the contoured and non-contoured and found that the contoured was very uncomfortable and showed up bright red on the pressure mapping so I ended up going with the non-contoured. It is lots more comfortable and showed no red spots on the pressure mapping. Most important it had taken the pressure off that left ishial tuberosity enough for me to finally get out of bed for the first time since the big bad central pain hit.

Sorry it didn't work for you but it is a good cushion....you might try to sell it.

T

PS...SCI_OTR....keep an eye on your roho's pressure. Those low profiles are notorious for not protecting your ishial tuberosities. That is what I was using before my left ishial tuberosity went ballistic with central pain.

Quote Originally Posted by tocker
    PS...SCI_OTR....keep an eye on your roho's pressure. Those low profiles are notorious for not protecting your ishial tuberosities. That is what I was using before my left ishial tuberosity went ballistic with central pain.
    Actually, my butt is a very good monitor of my Roho's pressure. It looks nearly flat when I am not on it, but I have close to normal sensation and know if I am bottoming on it. I only have to add air 1-2 times per year. I do know the type of individual you really need to watch. Some individuals have a significant pelvic obliquity combined with very bony ischium. In some cases, an ischium pokes through a single cell and bottoms out. To offset this, a higher than normal pressure must be maintained and the cushion works less than optimally. I am interested to see how effective Roho's new Merlin proximity sensor would be. I have yet to see a cushion which pressure maps better than a Roho, but I have been reluctant to recommend them with individuals who have these characteristics.

WHAT??I didnt know they took that long to break in. What about the flat black plastic piece that comes with it? I took that out almost right away. Can you pont me to a thread about them. Well guess im gonna be on it for a lil while. In weeks of usage....i guess i have about 3 weeks. Hopefully it will get softer. Im just gonna send my roho back ....again...
    Thanks for the info on it Wish the wheelchair eval dr. had mentioned this to me....?
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    Actually, my butt is a very good monitor of my Roho's pressure. It looks nearly flat when I am not on it, but I have close to normal sensation and know if I am bottoming on it. I only have to add air 1-2 times per year. I do know the type of individual you really need to watch. Some individuals have a significant pelvic obliquity combined with very bony ischium. In some cases, an ischium pokes through a single cell and bottoms out. To offset this, a higher than normal pressure must be maintained and the cushion works less than optimally. I am interested to see how effective Roho's new Merlin proximity sensor would be. I have yet to see a cushion which pressure maps better than a Roho, but I have been reluctant to recommend them with individuals who have these characteristics.
    Hey that pelvic obliquity and very bony ishium sounds just like my ass

I have pretty good feeling on my butt also (which is why I was able to use those cheap foam quickie seats for so many years without breakdown) but
    the thing that killed me is that I also have a silver dollar sized numb spot on each ishium and bottoming out on only that spot started my problems without me being the wiser until the arrival of the burning ass and thigh syndrome...

Thanks for the info SCI...nobody has ever explained to me before why the roho wasn't the cushion for me quite like you....

T

Actually according to this 2004 press release, the XS versions do not require a break in period.

http://www.supracor.com/in_the_news/...ntoured_xs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by barondidit
    WHAT??I didnt know they took that long to break in. What about the flat black plastic piece that comes with it? I took that out almost right away. Can you pont me to a thread about them. Well guess im gonna be on it for a lil while. In weeks of usage....i guess i have about 3 weeks. Hopefully it will get softer. Im just gonna send my roho back ....again...
    Thanks for the info on it Wish the wheelchair eval dr. had mentioned this to me....?
    Baron,
    I think that black flat plastic piece you said came with your stimulite is called an apple crate (don't ask me why). It is an optional piece which is used to take the sling out of a sling seat. Right now I am not using an apple crate with my stimulite but my chair is only a few months old and my sling seat has not started to sag yet. Pressure mapping has shown me though that when it does I will need to use the apple crate to keep the cushion flat and supported. The pressure that is put on my butt when I am sitting down in the sling (I think that side pressure is called shear pressure) is bad for me...it was also one of the things I was doing wrong with my old roho.

Good luck....
    T

best cushi0on there is imo. as sci otr stated there is little to no breakin w/ xs line. once the classics are broke in, they are very comfy. i have used them for 10 years , love them. never an issue
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer