Thread: cathaterproblem

cathaterproblem

for the last three years i hav been using external cathter for most off the time.now for last two month i used intenal one.when i removed internal andgot external cathater, things werent fine for me.i used external cathter for 2 days but i was having headache and was sweating due to which i was not feeling well.so i changed again to internal cathater.

i dont know wht was the reason behind that headache and sweating?has my bladder become shorter? i want to change again to external cathater ,what should i do?

thanks
    Last edited by asif; 11-03-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

You are having autonomic dysreflexia because your bladder is trying to empty with high pressures, probably against significant sphinter tightness. Your bladder has also shrunk due to the use of the indwelling catheter.

Options at this point include doing intermittent cath 5-7X daily (difficult if your bladder has shrunk a lot) and using anticholenergic meds to keep you dry in between and lower your pressures, OR

Having surgery to cut your external urinary sphincter and hope that this reduces the outlet resistance and allows your bladder to empty using an external condom catheter (ECC). Over time, your bladder can still "decompensate" (wear out) using this method, and you may have to go to an indwelling or intermittent cath at that time.

(KLD)

qestions

SCI Nurse please answer my below quiestions?

if i block my intenal cath for about an hour or so daily then will it help in making my bladder capacit high?

removing spincter muscle through surgery ,will not it be a pemanent loss?i mean we still have hope to get fine one day

what is function of the drugs u have mentioned?

thanks