Thread: DVT Swelling

DVT Swelling

Quick question... How long before the swelling goes away. I was diagnosed with a DVT in my thigh 5 weeks ago today. After I noticed the swelling I immediately went to the emergency room where they confirmed I had a DVT. The hematologist put me on heparin and 2 days later put in a vena cava filter. 5 days after I innitially was diagnosed, the doc switched me over to coumadin then I was released to go home 2 days later. That was 4 weeks ago but my leg is still swelling to double size if I am up more than an hour or two. I lie back down an it takes about 6 hours for my leg to return to normal size. I wear thigh high Jobst. Anyone have a similar experience that can tell me how long I can expect the swelling to go on? My hematologist doesn't seem to be too alarmed. He ordered a second ultra-sound and extensive blood as a precaution. My concern other than the swelling is the fact that I have already missed a month of work and cannot go back until the swelling goes away. My company has disability insurance but I am getting tired of staring at the ceiling!

Thanks!
    M
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF WATER AND FIBER

It can take 6 months or more, and often the swelling never goes away completely, although may reduce in degree somewhat. Not sure why you could not go to work, as long as you can elevate your legs sometime during the day (over your lunch hour, for example). Once you are past the acute period (the first 3 months or so) you could see if your physician would consider lymphedema treatments, but you cannot do that early in this disease process.

(KLD)

Mine took most of the summer. (Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

monkster, I have used Compression Stockings for the last 10 years. I have never been able to get rid of my edema (I know you don't want to hear this). This has not kept me from a very active life -- I'm currently training to qualify for the sailing team (CAN) to the 2012 paralympics.

Last year August I fractured my left trochanter and eventually that led (somehow) to two (2) DVTs in my right leg. Those went undiagnosed until I had a pulmonary embolism on 9/11 (...go figure!) and heparin was administered, needless to say I survived it . I did not get an IVC and I am curious if you had a temporal or permanent one. After my release they did blood work for about a month to determine my INR and the Coumadin dosage which I took for about three (3) months.

I continued my training (on dry land ) until April when due to the lack of Range of Motion in my left leg I fractured my distal femur and went on to the heparin inmediately for three (3) more months, at the time I did ask about getting an IVC and the doctor said "nah". I am now on 82 mg aspirin for the rest of my life and one (1) of the DVTs is here to stay (the hematologist just calls it an old clot).

The swelling on both legs and feet are still with me and I found that if I don't put the stockings on right after my bowel/shower process they swell up significantly.

While there is still swelling today it has diminished but early up and stockings keep me going. In fact stop staring at the ceiling because before I had my first fracture, I stayed in bed due to UTIs (they made me feel yuk ). My pyisiatrist feels that could have been a major contributor to clots forming so now I don't stay in bed unless absolutely necessary.

HTH,
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

My swollen DVT leg only took about 2.5 months to diminish, though it's still larger than my other leg (and apparently might always be). I've got a couple more months on the coumadin and then will be switching to something else for the long run.

Laozi, my IVT is temporal... I guess. The Hematologist told me I had a 4-8 week window to have it removed after which it becomes permanant. I guess it is all becoming non isssue now, I tested positive for the Lupus Anticoagulant Antibody. Basically that means that I am more suceptable to clots now. The hematologist said I would be on anticoagulants indefinitely and the IVC should stay in permanently. I am not sure how much more at risk I am because I tested positive.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF WATER AND FIBER

Darn!, I hate hearing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkster
    Laozi, my IVT is temporal... I guess. The Hematologist told me I had a 4-8 week window to have it removed after which it becomes permanant. I guess it is all becoming non isssue now, I tested positive for the Lupus Anticoagulant Antibody. Basically that means that I am more suceptable to clots now. The hematologist said I would be on anticoagulants indefinitely and the IVC should stay in permanently. I am not sure how much more at risk I am because I tested positive.
    Maybe SCI-Nurse (KLD) can give a bit more insight to the new risk factor.

Don't give in, you've got friends here!

Cheers!
    Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~