Thread: Pulse/heart-like beat coming from side (waist)

Pulse/heart-like beat coming from side (waist)

Hi

For the past two weeks, i've been feeling a pulse or heart-like beat coming from the right side of my waist/hip. Has this got something to do with my kidneys?

In the front or back of the hip? What do you mean by "feel", with your fingers or you can sense it from your hip? Wise.

Hello Dr. Young

I can feel it with my fingers or the palm of my hand and it's on the side (more to the front)of my hip. I also feel it without pressing my fingers or hand on it.

T10 incomplete para since 1996.

I would recommend that you call your physician and see if they want to examine you. This is unusual, and may need further exploration.

(KLD)

Yes, this is unusual. I also noticed that this "pulse" goes away when i'm busy doing something (being active) or lying flat on my stomach. Nonetheless, i will get myself examined.

Shawn, from your description, anatomically, there is only one artery in that area... the femoral artery that goes in the femoral notch into your leg. It is a large artery. Wise.

Dr. Young

Could this artery be blocked? Am i in danger?

Shawn, if your artery were blocked, you would know it. Your leg would be blue. You may have an aneurism (i.e. a weakness of the arterial wall that is resulting a local ballooning of the artery). An examination by the doctor would rule that out pretty quickly. The doctor would also check the pulses in your lower leg (behind the knee and at your ankles. If there are pulses there, that means the blood is getting through.

Wise.

Hello Dr. Young

I was examined by a doctor in the emergency room yesterday. X-rays, blood tests, urine test and a sonar was done but, they couldn't find anything wrong. The doctor ruled it off as something to do with the nerves and said nothing can be done about it!

My leg isn't blue so, i guess the artery isn't blocked. Nonetheless, the problem still persists...