Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on hip surgery to restore range

Girdlestone Surgery

I underwent Girdlestone Surgery around 1993. I have been paraplegic for around 19 years now. The leg muscles seem to hold my leg in place okay. Dr. Alexander G Hadjipavlou MD worked on fusing my back & he helped a little with Dr. Christopher Demas for the removal of the "ball" from my left hip. I lost a ton of blood during the surgery & luckily many of my family donated blood before my surgery occured.

My update: I had surgery to increase range of my left hip about nine months ago and it went very well. Originally my surgeon wanted to do a girdlestone but I refused. As a result I don't have full range restored, but enough to sit up at 90 degrees and I can now reach my left foot to put on a shoe. No sign of recurrence so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    My update: I had surgery to increase range of my left hip about nine months ago and it went very well. Originally my surgeon wanted to do a girdlestone but I refused. As a result I don't have full range restored, but enough to sit up at 90 degrees and I can now reach my left foot to put on a shoe. No sign of recurrence so far.
    I am glad to hear that. I hope things continue to go well.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Lazlo, glad your surgery was successful and you are doing better. Can you explain what the exact surgical procedure was? Was it primarily to remove the HO? I'm assuming the femoral head and left hip socket was more or less intact, so there was no additional dislocation or degeneration of bone or anything?

H.o.

I don't want to hijack a thread but there is so little discussion here about HO that it seemed prudent to just keep this thread alive.

I was diagnosed with HO after undergoing a 3 phase bone scan of my hips. This was 28 days ago and the DR. ordered 1400 mg a day of didronel for 3 months.

The problem is, the pharmacy and the physician's staff which got involved have only now, after 28 days, found one month's supply of the drug Didronel. We are still looking for more for the other 2 months I'm supposed to take it.

I'm a c4 incomplete 33 yrs post sci. I reside in Colorado.
    I have had no recent trauma to the area. My range of motion is becoming more restricted in my left hip...no sign of reduced range in my right hip yet. I can sit at 90 degrees as of now but my left hip resists being bent. Bending forward another 10-15% is possible but applying a bit of force is needed. (My wife puts a small amount of push on my shoulders and I slowly get there)
    I recently purchased an adjustable bed because it was becoming difficult for my wife to sit me up in bed because the left hip resisted. Sitting up was needed because I was having some issues with AD. (currently not an issue)
    I feel a small amount of pain in my left hip and it feels warm to me but take that info with a grain of salt because I have light touch sensation but detecting pain is a crapshoot. There is actually no heat or swelling going on at the hip. I have mild swelling below the knee and in the ankle and foot. That swelling goes down at night. (It was that swelling that caused me to see a doctor in the first place)

My questions:
    1. How fast can\does bone growth occur with HO?
    2. Was waiting a month before even getting started on the prescribed medication something I should be very concerned about?
    3. I was not given any recommended therapy but I read here that increased range of motion exercise is recommended. Is that correct? It was suggested to me that it may actually be counter-productive. I have always been pretty limited in the flexibility department anyway.
    4. What questions should I be asking my Doctor?

Edited to add: Some days.....maybe one day in 7 there is no tightness in the hip at all. Violet (wife\caregiver) says hips are "bending like a noodle" on those days. Is this normal?
    Last edited by RickC; 08-11-2011 at 11:01 PM.