Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.6er whoa baby!

5.6er whoa baby!

Big earthquake just hit. Ya feel that in the east bay Tuf? Fun one
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Shaken...not stirred.

lol, actually it was more of a rocking.

Wasn't on the Hayward fault damn it, that's the one that needs to let some stress off and is way too close to me.

When the Loma Prieta earthquake hit, I was at work. It seemed to last at least 10 seconds. People came running into my office. The first thing I said was, boy, thats got to be a big one. I didn't even notice this one.

Chas I had no idea you were in Cal let alone the Bay Area, I thought you were an East Coaster that's why I said your welcome re CIRM!

Sooner or later, the New Madrid fault is gonna have a big twich or two, and a lotta folks will think it was fun and others not so funny at all, but EVERYONE will be awake for sure. Fortunately Spring-town here is just far enough away that if the really big one hits (like 1811-12) we'll get rocked pretty hard but should still be OK. It's quite sobering (ok, it gives you the willies) to drive across one of the bridges over the Mississippi River, look out over that immense expanse of water and realize it ran the OTHER WAY for three days (or so they say)........and then you hit the gas pedal, the better to get off the bridge quicker

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    It's quite sobering (ok, it gives you the willies) to drive across one of the bridges over the Mississippi River, look out over that immense expanse of water and realize it ran the OTHER WAY for three days (or so they say)........and then you hit the gas pedal, the better to get off the bridge quicker

Tom
    Not to nit-pick, but -
    It's documented that the river flowed backward temporarily, but it can't have done so for three days....

Still, a hell of a big quake to move that mass of water backward for any time at all. I wouldn't want to be caught in one like it, that's for sure!

Good fun. Biggest in the bay since 89', I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Sooner or later, the New Madrid fault is gonna have a big twich or two, and a lotta folks will think it was fun and others not so funny at all, but EVERYONE will be awake for sure. Fortunately Spring-town here is just far enough away that if the really big one hits (like 1811-12) we'll get rocked pretty hard but should still be OK. It's quite sobering (ok, it gives you the willies) to drive across one of the bridges over the Mississippi River, look out over that immense expanse of water and realize it ran the OTHER WAY for three days (or so they say)........and then you hit the gas pedal, the better to get off the bridge quicker

Tom
    You got 100-300 years on that one, we're due anytime!

I'm on violent shaking ground re the Hayward and Rodgers creek faults, and very strong shaking for the San Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    Big earthquake just hit. Ya feel that in the east bay Tuf? Fun one
    Was sitting down doing some homework at Cal when, I thought one of my friends was messing with my chair. I turned and looked at some of the huge panes of glass, and surely the reflection of the lights of the room in the windows was shaking violently. A couple of us put down what we were doing and kinda looked at eachother like "was that the end of it?" I did notice a lot of folks just walking around without a clue.

I did my undergrad work in Geology, so for me, it's nice to shake, rattle and roll once in a while

I do think the USGS might revise their Richter reading down. But then again, I haven't checked their website yet for the epi.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out