Thread: Boiled Peanuts Pack Big Antioxidant Punch

Boiled Peanuts Pack Big Antioxidant Punch

Boiled Peanuts Pack Big Antioxidant Punch

ScienceDaily (Oct. 29, 2007) — Boiled peanuts, a regional treat from the southern United States, may be as healthy as they are delicious. Alabama scientists report that boiling these legumes imbues them with more antioxidants than roasted peanuts or peanut butter....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1029111414.htm

Yeah, but they're gross!

LOL. I like peanut brittle but don't know if'n them is boiled. How's that for a 'bama accent.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    LOL. I like peanut brittle but don't know if'n them is boiled. How's that for a 'bama accent.
    lol I don't think the peanuts in brittle are bioled. I love me some peanuts, 'cept when they's boiled. That's my Kentucky hillbilly accent, or as my Granpa would say, a Briar's accent. Hillbillies are from West Virgina. I still don't know why he said mountain-folk in Kentucky were called Briars... but I digress.

Arg, you're closer, I'm slipping. Shoulda said don't know if they's boiled tho. Hehe.

I found this on Wikipedia: Briar - Ethnic Slur
    Briar, a term used in the U.S. Midwest, especially Ohio, for Appalachian migrants from Kentucky and West Virginia. These migrants, seeking work in Midwestern industries, were generally considered unwelcome, therefore the analogy to a thorny weed.

That makes sense then, my Granpa calling himself (and by relation, my family and me ) a Briar. A WWII vet (N. Africa) he (with my Granma and my Dad and uncle) moved from the mountains of Kentucky to the Dayton, Ohio area to get away from the Coal industry and work in a GM plant when my Dad was little. I like the term Briar even more now.