Thread: Questions regarding new SCI Rehab

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Questions regarding new SCI Rehab

In this article, Dr John McDonald is commenting on a rat study but it suggests that taking Baclofen while doing rehab works against you. Does anyone have any other supporting data on this? What other drugs are in the Baclofen family - is Lyrica the same thing?
    http://www.myelitis.org/rnds2004/Mcd...urosurgery.pdf
    Also, does anyone have any experience with Biofeedback - good or bad. My friend has seen some "progress" but less than two months post SCI that is probably just return? Is it worth spending the time in this area? Injury is T12, I think, incomplete, but so far little return - though somethings coming around hip area all the way to back part.

No, Lyrica or Neurontin are in a different family. They are antiseizure drugs, not anti-spasticity drugs. Dr. McDonald is the main proponent for avoiding the use of baclofen for those newly injured. You can do a search here on our forums for more information about this. There are other antispasticity drugs, but we don't know if they have this same effect, or even if this effect is also true for humans.

Biofeedback can be used for all sorts of purposes. What do you have in mind?

(KLD)

I was put on baclofen, along with many other drugs, immediatley after injury. I took all the meds because I thought that was what I should do. Wrong! My PT expressed similar views about baclofen. I'm glad he did, because I really started thinking about all the drugs I was taking. As it turned out, I don't deal well with baclofen. Within an hour of taking, I would melt into a puddle of tears and be good for nothing.

Your friend's injury is new, and your friend still has a lot to learn about medications and recovery. It will get straightened out in the months to come. At this point in time, your friend is still learning to live this new life.

I wish your friend many, many returns in the months to come!