Thread: pagefiles

pagefiles

I have recently tried to copy my C drive to an external drive for backup. The system refused to copy with error message that the pagefile could not be copied and was in use by another program. Is there a workaround with this so that the copy can proceed?
    mike

PageFile is a swap in windows OS. You don't need that for back-up.
    Anyway
    my-computer (right click ) -> Proprieties-> Advanced Tab-> Settings->Advanced Tab->Change-> and choose "No paging file".
    or
    Windows XP Backup Made Easy
    NovaBACKUP for XP Windows Backup software

You should decide if you are going to back up your entire hard drive, or your files.

Since you have chosen your entire hard drive, Use the built in backup program and back up to a file.

Otherwise, you are just setting yourself up for failure. You will restore the whole thing, expecting it to work, and you will lose your registry file (among others). Without your registry files, your backup is worthless.

-- JB

I know that I can perform a backup using the windows program. In that case I would be creating one file without the visability of the individual files until I did a restore. What I was interested in was copying the individual files to my portable hard drive just as a security measure. I have so many files that I was trying to copy them all at once by copying the C drive I had no intention to perform a restore so I did not need the registry information. I was able to perform this task with Norton Ghost with my old computer, but when I tried Ghost with my new computer the whole system hung up and I had to reload Windows. Perhaps there is another piece of software that I can use that will accomplish the task.
    mike

I use this. Very easy to use. Easy to backup your entire system or just selected folders/files.

You do have to do a "restore" to get the files back but you can choose to restore only a subset of what has been backed up.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Quote Originally Posted by daveh0
    I use this. Very easy to use. Easy to backup your entire system or just selected folders/files.

You do have to do a "restore" to get the files back but you can choose to restore only a subset of what has been backed up.
    It is easy to backup and restore. I guess I found Ghost more convenient as a restore is not required to transfer saved files. In any case the Windows version is cheap.
    mike