Thread: USB Router

USB Router

I recently upgraded to a machine with a 2.0 USB system. I had left over from my old system a USB hub that I have been trying to use for my USB devices. I was under the impression that if your computer was 2.0 compliant the hub would also be. Is that true? The reason I ask is that I have plugged some devices into my hub and have received a message that the device would run faster by using a 2.0 hub.
    mike

No, your computer will dumb down its 2.0 USB plugs to 1.1.

Mike -

The USB hub is separate from the new machine and therefore it is not the same speed. You are fine to continue to use the hub as long as you are okay with things going slower. You can do a couple of things. Obviously, you could purchase a new 2.0 hub if you wanted, or if you want to stop the message from popping up you can do this as well. Right click "My Computer" and click "Properties". Select the "Hardware" tab and then "Device Manager". Scroll down and right click on your USB controller and select "Properties". Go to the "Advanced" tab and then check the "don't tell me about USB errors" box. Just remember the steps so if you do upgrade to a 2.0 hub later you can undo it!

unless you're using high-bandwidth devices (drives, photo printers, etc), don't worry about upgrading your current hub, especially for little stuff like mice / keyboards.

hubs are inexpensive regardless... tons under $15 @ www.newegg.com

Thanks for the feedback. I was using the hub for an external hard drive so I did need the additional speed. I purchased a 2.0 hub and it solved the problem.
    mike