Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Scientist Quits in Wake of Scandal

Nobel Scientist Quits in Wake of Scandal

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...F1E89CA728AD43

October 25, 2007
    Nobel Scientist Quits in Wake of Scandal
    James Watson hangs it up at Cold Spring Harbor after claiming that Africans are intellectually inferior
    By Lisa Stein

World-renowned geneticist James Watson today resigned as a top officer of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), in Long Island, N.Y., culminating a rapid fall from grace triggered last week by racially charged statements he made during a newspaper interview.

"This morning I have conveyed to the trustees of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory my desire to retire immediately from my position as its chancellor, as well as from my position on its board, on which I have served for the past 43 years," Watson said in a statement in which he heaped praise on the research facility to which he brought both fame and infamy. "Closer now to 80 than 79, the passing on of my remaining vestiges of leadership is more than overdue. The circumstances in which this transfer is occurring, however, are not those which I could ever have anticipated or desired."

• Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Everybody makes mistakes, but this borders more on a Mel Gibson episode...you remember how he thrashed the Jews when he was all stupid drunk and he lost control. Problem is with this guy, he wasn´t drunk, so I dare assume that he believes what he said and it just slipped. Perhaps he forgot to take his Geritol.
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C
    Everybody makes mistakes, but this borders more on a Mel Gibson episode...you remember how he thrashed the Jews when he was all stupid drunk and he lost control. Problem is with this guy, he wasn´t drunk, so I dare assume that he believes what he said and it just slipped. Perhaps he forgot to take his Geritol.
    Word; you can hold such a belief and even have what seems valid facts to back them up but to say so in public is a PC blunder of huge, and apparently disasterous, consequences.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Dumped him like a bad habit so as not to revisit the sins of the past.

Lot of food for thought regarding to what extent genes determine our capabilities and behaviors. Why are some people so afraid of this line of scientific inquiry?

Maybe because science so often outpaces ethics. What do we do if science concludes that they can reliably predict which babies will become serial killers? My parents would probably have been offered the choice to terminate me in the womb had the genetic counseling of today been available at that time. My guess is that the world would have one less fool. Maybe no great loss from the world's perspective, but I like to think that I give as much as I get.

Man as god based on "irrefutable evidence" is a shaky proposition at best. Even if the only use is to place a label on the babies who have "a proclivity to criminality" or those who "hold little intellectual promise", these are not benign decisions. Man has proven that he will employ any tool once placed in the workshop. The products produced display a wide range of outcomes when viewed from a distance.

Having said this, it may be surprising that I wholeheartedly support this research and the conversations concerning what can be concluded from the findings. I just pray that those who decide public policy won't use this tool as a blunt instrument to achieve misguided goals.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

It is sad that Jim Watson has to depart from his illustrious career in such an ignominious end. His and Crick's discovery that DNA is the substance of genes was important and rightly recognized by the Nobel Committee as one of the great scientific discoveries of all time. At age 85, he probably should have retired a decade ago. His remarks are particularly egregious because of his stature and the fact that he is scientifically wrong. The evidence that we all descended from Africans is overwhelming. The evidence that people with highly pigmented skin are as smart as people with lightly pigmented skin is likewise very convincing.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    Having said this, it may be surprising that I wholeheartedly support this research and the conversations concerning what can be concluded from the findings. I just pray that those who decide public policy won't use this tool as a blunt instrument to achieve misguided goals.
    so you support his statements that those of african descent are less intelligent than other ethnic groups due to genetics?

racism is so ignorent, but what do I know, I just get to know ppl by there personallity and actions not by race/creed/beliefs there has been to many wars fought over this crap and I feel that man has come to far to keep falling back on stupid shit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    It is sad that Jim Watson has to depart from his illustrious career in such an ignominious end. His and Crick's discovery that DNA is the substance of genes was important and rightly recognized by the Nobel Committee as one of the great scientific discoveries of all time. At age 85, he probably should have retired a decade ago. His remarks are particularly egregious because of his stature and the fact that he is scientifically wrong. The evidence that we all descended from Africans is overwhelming. The evidence that people with highly pigmented skin are as smart as people with lightly pigmented skin is likewise very convincing.

Wise.
    No fool like an old fool. That's what happens when one stays too long at the Fair. Published reports indicate that he doesn't clearly recall saying such things.

I'm told my entire state land mass has an African origin, as well as the people who reside in Florida. But that was before I moved here, so I can't say for sure. I do know that my old set of encyclopedias was chock full of the accomplishments of people of African heritage. (Where would the soybean be today without G.W. Carver? Charles Drew did more than play football in college.) Evidence the present day business empires created by young Afro-Americans like Russell Simmons, Spike Lee, Jay Z, Puffy, and many others... Remember, these cats started with nothing other than drive, determination, intelligence and vision.

I'm sorry to see this become a giant red asterisk in Jim Watson's biography.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 10-26-2007 at 11:15 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

It's racist propaganda masquerading as scientific fact. Just because it came out of the mouth of a scientist doesn't negate it as personal opinion. The Federation of American Scientists said it was outraged that Watson "chose to use his unique stature to promote personal prejudices that are... unsupported by science."

He's a relic from the same era that insisted that women were genetically inferior to men and intellectually unsuited to excel in math and science and which spread similar "scientifically sound" claims about every non-white group on the planet. We're only eager to believe it in this context because it reinforces existing stereotypes and supports the status quo. If he had said the opposite, we'd be calling him a senile old man and applauding his resignation.

FO, you should know from Fox news that opinion doesn't = fact.

There are black rhodes scholars, presidential scholars, nobel prize winners, child prodigies, inventors, academics, scientists etc. They're invisible to us because they're rarely represented through the media. With few positive compensatory images to counter the negative, we never assume otherwise. But that's the goal of racism.
    Last edited by antiquity; 10-26-2007 at 10:29 AM.