Thread: The best gaming laptop?

The best gaming laptop?

http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/general/..._gaming_laptop

Alienware M9750 Gaming Laptop
    Weight is a sign of reliability, right?

Alienware’s mothership has landed on planet earth once again, and this time they bring shiny new treats from their people. I say shiny, it’s more matt-black - like it just fell off the fuselage of a stealth bomber. It’s also very, very heavy.
    Advertisement

The M9750 is their power-gaming laptop, and my do you pay for the privilege of being able to carry it around. The top model does indeed have pretty breathtaking specs, but it’ll set you back a cool £2400.

<more>
    So, I thought that I would look up its specs. To tell you the truth, I am not sure that it is all that much more powerful than a well-endowed Macbook Pro. According to http://www.bizwaremagic.com/best_gaming_notebooks.htm
    it has almost the same gear as a MacBook Pro 17". Likewise, the Dell XPS is supposed to be Dell's ultimate gaming laptop and it is very similar to the Macbook Pro.

The M9750 has dual hard drive option at the expense of losing their DVD, more speaker outputs, 512 Mb video rather than a 256 Mb video. They have the same processors. The Mac is better in that it has a 800 MHz bus whereas the alien only has 667 MHz. The Mac also has firewire.

The Dell XPS M1730 has the option of 2 Intel processors, but otherwise has almost the same technical specs as the Macbook Pro 17". It has firewire and has the higher end 512 Geoforce video card.

Two thing makes the Mac stand out from the crowd. First, it is cheaper. Second, it will run the Mac OSX. All the others cannot run MacOSX. The Mac can use Bootcamp to run XT or Vista, Linux, etc. as and as well as on the other two computers. The only significant difference is the video card.

Wise.

Chime in on computer stuff

I still love to work on certain stuff with macs... but it still isn't it there enough to have it as my only source. I guess it really wouldn't matter all that much... but its still a little obscure in my computer literate opinion. Its a great machine no doubt... how about it hearty? ness... is it rugged. One thing the next laptop I by will have to pass the drop test... the spill the coffee on the keyboard test... the crumbs from the blueberry muffin test... and probably even the ecoli and sponeuro test. Eeeewwwww... but hey... thats probably a reality??? NO????

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/general/..._gaming_laptop

So, I thought that I would look up its specs. To tell you the truth, I am not sure that it is all that much more powerful than a well-endowed Macbook Pro. According to http://www.bizwaremagic.com/best_gaming_notebooks.htm
    it has almost the same gear as a MacBook Pro 17". Likewise, the Dell XPS is supposed to be Dell's ultimate gaming laptop and it is very similar to the Macbook Pro.

The M9750 has dual hard drive option at the expense of losing their DVD, more speaker outputs, 512 Mb video rather than a 256 Mb video. They have the same processors. The Mac is better in that it has a 800 MHz bus whereas the alien only has 667 MHz. The Mac also has firewire.

The Dell XPS M1730 has the option of 2 Intel processors, but otherwise has almost the same technical specs as the Macbook Pro 17". It has firewire and has the higher end 512 Geoforce video card.

Two thing makes the Mac stand out from the crowd. First, it is cheaper. Second, it will run the Mac OSX. All the others cannot run MacOSX. The Mac can use Bootcamp to run XT or Vista, Linux, etc. as and as well as on the other two computers. The only significant difference is the video card.

Wise.
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

It is usually all about the graphics card.

It turns out that the alienware laptop has 2 7950 video processors running in SLI mode (roughly, each renders half of the screen).

The 8600 and 8700 are newer DX10 processors, with the 8700 getting significantly better performance, but not even close to as good as dual 7950 processors.

That being said, the Mac laptop is probably sufficient for running games w/bootcamp, though I haven't tried it with mine.

Macbooks would be miserable, with their non-dedicated video.

-- JB
    Last edited by JustinB; 10-26-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike bauer
    I still love to work on certain stuff with macs... but it still isn't it there enough to have it as my only source. I guess it really wouldn't matter all that much... but its still a little obscure in my computer literate opinion. Its a great machine no doubt... how about it hearty? ness... is it rugged. One thing the next laptop I by will have to pass the drop test... the spill the coffee on the keyboard test... the crumbs from the blueberry muffin test... and probably even the ecoli and sponeuro test. Eeeewwwww... but hey... thats probably a reality??? NO????
    Mike,

I definitely can speak to the toughness of powerbooks, having used every Mac laptop from the first to the most recent, lugging them all over the world and probably loggin in more finger taps than 99% of laptops would ever experience. My laptop is the main computer and I do everything on them. I use them 20 or more hours a day and my laptop probably travelled over 300,000 miles in the past year. I have spilled every conceivable thing on it and it has been dropped dozens of time. They continue to run. After a year, I usually need to change some of the keys because the letters get worn out. I have never had a screen fail. I use to have power plug failures in the early powerbooks... due to tripping over the cord. I had a motherboard fail once in 1991 but never a video card or hard disk. The most common failures are the DVD/CD drives and occasionally a USB port may fail to charge a phone. The batteries eventualy burn out after two years.

I have a friend who is still using the original titanium 15" powerbook from 1997. It works and works. In my opinion, the powerbooks are possibly tougher than any laptop except perhaps for the Panasonic Toughbooks. Its aluminum shell, shock-proof drive, and now magnetic power plug that prevent accidents, I think that my current macbook pro 17" will last as long as I take good care of it, for at least another 10 years. I have had it for over a year. I have a Mac G4 powerbook which is now 3 years old and I still use it.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB
    It is usually all about the graphics card.

It turns out that the alienware laptop has 2 7950 video processors running in SLI mode (roughly, each renders half of the screen).

The 8600 and 8700 are newer DX10 processors, with the 8700 getting significantly better performance, but not even close to as good as dual 7950 processors.

That being said, the Mac laptop is probably sufficient for running games w/bootcamp, though I haven't tried it with mine.

Macbooks would be miserable, with their non-dedicated video.

-- JB

Thanks... Yes, the main difference is the video boards. Is there any reason why the Mac or Alienware cannot be altered to play games for the X-box, Playstation, Nintendo, etc. Wise.

You can do a search on the internet for emulator's which allow you to play Nintendo and Playstation games on your computer although you have to download whatever game you want to play from the internet also. Peer to peer sites like bittorrent or others will allow you to search for users that have the games you are looking for.

PS, anyone play Wolfenstein Enemy Territory on here?

Huh - I had written a large post on this... Apparently didn't actually hit submit.

Short version: Yes, there are emulators for the original nintendo and playstation.

But for newer consoles, the Xbox is the only one running on intel processors. For all others, it will be too slow to emulate the processors for the games to run on PCs, at least for the next 5 or so years...

Shorter version: No forseeable emulators for PS3, xbox 360, wii, because of processor emulation issues.

-- JB