Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flu Shot

Flu Shot

Yesterday at the Doctor’s I was going to get the flu shot, but it said there was a chance of GBS and it was not recommended for people with chronic nerve disorder (this was on the fact sheet and form I had to sign). What is considered a chronic nerve disorder and how great of a chance is there to get GBS? Even the slight possibility of being paralyzed again, is not something I am willing to risk.

I didn't have a fact sheet or anything when I got a flu shot at the doctor's office. I'm curious about this too!
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog
    Yesterday at the Doctor’s I was going to get the flu shot, but it said there was a chance of GBS and it was not recommended for people with chronic nerve disorder (this was on the fact sheet and form I had to sign). What is considered a chronic nerve disorder and how great of a chance is there to get GBS? Even the slight possibility of being paralyzed again, is not something I am willing to risk.
    translate what GBS means please.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Like Dan, I was not given a fact sheet proir to the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    translate what GBS means please.
    Adi, it is Gilliam Barre Syndrome; a peripheral nerve disease that causes paralysis. I never heard of it being tied to the already injured. There has been a slight possibility of it in others though. When from a vaccine it normally seems to be milder and more likely to remit than when it hits out of the blue. If this is true I'm skipping the shots too and relying on my Pnuemovax to keep me reasonably healthy.

Nurses?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Hi,

I have not heard of this. I will try to cehck his out and get back to you.
    In the meantime, do you have the fact sheet and can you relate exactly what the form says? That would help.

AAD

I have safely gotten one for years, and when I first had one after being injured, there was no discussion about anything being different. Had mine today in fact.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

i never heard this either. got my 2nd one in my whole 43 yrs the other day.

i did start feelin awful a couple days afterwards. fever was 102f. but it was just for about 2 days, after that i was fine.

I'm no expert but I thougth chances of this from a flu shot were rare in all cases. I don't see how having an injury would increase the chances except that you are already prone to bad luck. I did meet a girl at Shepherd who was there as a result of a flu shot. That would be very scary. I would like to find some statistics.

I will call the office and ask them to fax me the forms, so I can give you exact language.