Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    I've been wanting to try those Veggie Stix (though, I doubt I could ever be a vegetarian ). Have you ever tried plantain chips? I love those. I don't really like cooked plantains like you'll get with meals at Columbian or Cuban restaurants, but the chips are yummy.
    Plantain chips are fantastic! I love them. Not good with salsa, though.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Better, but you never did say how you liked that big cheeseburger just post surgery. I know if I'd been gassed out for the procedure there'd be some nausea post and I'm trying to picture how a big cheeser could seem desireable in that situation. I used to be all over the place but now lay in my bed like a big maggot and order morphine three or more times a day. My last day in hospital two weeks ago I had to force myself out of bed in the morning with my discharge scheduled for the afternoon. With all of this laziness I had a few of the doctors and some of the nurses tell me what a big sucess I was as a long-term para, having my level of ability and autonomy. Go figure.
    I was so famished, I almost bit my fingers, anestesia does not make my stomach upset, as soon as I get out of recovery I want food, I'm not used to having to starve.. I eat three squares a day plus snacks ( thats why I have gained so much)

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    For those of you who are interested in veggie burgers, you'll find that the Boca burgers are the burger of choice for most vegans. Best flavor.
    I'll agree with that. The Gardenburgers are not that tasty, whereas the Boca burgers taste really good.
    I don't eat beef, pork, or chicken, because it doesn't agree with my stomach and I just don't like the taste of them. So, the only meat/animal products I eat are fish, goats milk, and sometimes eggs. Other than that, I mostly eat soy products, veggies, fruit, and other vegetarian foods.

Jessie

That's the way I am about trying to generate interest in the site any more. I can never restrain myself from telling a new gimp I meet about how great the CCC is but I've learned that they may not even bother to check us out even when they assure me that they will. "Their loss"; "different strokes", etc. and what can you do but your best to spread the gospel of CareCure and accept that it may not take.
    you know I was never told about any sights at all, I have found them by trying to learn about my condition, while finding info I started to find forums billy on spinal injury.net was the first I found not very much action on it but I did fill a lot of blank space got alot of things off my chest

Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray
    I'll agree with that. The Gardenburgers are not that tasty, whereas the Boca burgers taste really good.
    I don't eat beef, pork, or chicken, because it doesn't agree with my stomach and I just don't like the taste of them. So, the only meat/animal products I eat are fish, goats milk, and sometimes eggs. Other than that, I mostly eat soy products, veggies, fruit, and other vegetarian foods.

Jessie
    Since my wife is strictly vegan, she has to read the packaging very carefully. A lot of vegetarian foods are made with things like eggs, milk products like whey, chicken or beef broth, animal shortening, gelatin, rennet, etc.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. My bad Sen. This brain fog sometimes gets me and I forget some things I plan to do at times.

Thanks for the link, Saorsa. Will be checking it out too.

Juke, I might just take you up on that. I noticed that you post some of the recipes and/or describe them. That is what also got my attention, you make them sound so tasty. Given that I am kind of picky about food, you opened up my eyes. Thank you.

Got an e-mail from a magazine called "Eat Well". Don't know if any of you have seen it but it also has an online link that you can check out the recipes they email you. Comes with instructions and all. This one in particular got my attention since I love Mexican food. I know that it is famously known as being greasy but Nick and I improvise for the grease it asks for. We use spray or canola oil. The recipe for these Enchiladas(my fav) is something I thought would be something to try if you enjoy Mexican food. At home we usually don't make them like this but this one seems healthier. I plan to try them out.

Also am willing to try any recipe since Nick is interested in coming up with new things. I know he will try some of them out. If you check his profile, you will see he calls himself my bodyguard and Chef. LOL

Raven

PS: Almost forgot to answer your question Sen. Both Nick and I do the cooking. I mostly use the stove top with the max of three pots or fry pans. Nick uses the oven also.

No problem Raven. I'll start getting them together and will post in a couple of days.

Agreed with all the good points of being a veggie but I have experienced with myself that if I don't consume any kind of meat for some days there is a loss of power and stamina and a decline in overall performance and so do most of the athletes.

If meats are eaten in moderation it will not be harmful but I guess anythiing in excess is always not good for health and human beings are designed by nature to be omnivoros so why not be?
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dedicated Hosting

Don't know why that would be since there are people e.g., Jains who are vegetarian from birth due to religious reasons who are strong and live long, healthy lives. I think the connection between vegetarianism and fatigue is a misnomer as much as the connection between meat eating and health is. There are plenty of meat eaters out there who feel crappy and run down. As for athletes, a suprising number are vegetarian. I've read that veg. bodybuilders consume a lot of maca. I'm not familiar with it but Juke probably is. I think the problem is that people who stop eating meat aren't familiar with all of the food options available to vegetarians so they end up relying on an inadequate amount and type of food to meet all of their nutritional needs.
    Last edited by antiquity; 11-05-2007 at 01:48 AM.

What's the expresssion I'm looking for; of yeah, I'll bite. Blah, blah, blah this and blah, blah, blah that and this new "beef" will be cheap and you've (Norway's) got the "top people" on it. So when and how much, as in - exactly HOW MUCH??? As in WHEN???

You like to prate about how great a world leader Norway is in so many things but this pie-in-the-sky genetically incubated animal protein you claim to be cheaply on the horizon is so far w/o substantiation.

Post links and excerpts stating what's being done, where by whom and when and how expensive/cheap this super meat will be when available. I really don't see how you've got the gaul to talk about existing methods of beef production being detrimental to the environment (preaching to the chior, btw) when you've had an extensive history posting everyting to the contrary, including that the whale killing and butchereing Norway still engages in is somehow a great way of addressing sapiens, sapiens need for animal protein.

We who know you know how much you like to post purely to take a devil's advocate postion. Isn't that what you've been doing here?
    'kay then.
    http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ir...cle1854015.ece

And what whales are you talking 'bout, there are many diffrent species you know. The one you hint towards are not endangered. For youre info.