Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    Ala, I'm open to new recipes and think it's kind of fun trying different vegetarian dishes. But with all the organics and exotic ingredients, doesn't it get a bit costly?

I really like vegetables and would like to find a good recipe book to make them more exciting. My biggest weakness to a vegetarian diet would be fish, seafood, and the occasional medium rare steak.
    Exotic ingredients? Which ones? The yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, or mushrooms. You need to eat more vegetables, dude!

Sometimes the organics are a little more expensive. Try a farmers market. You can find organic veggies at Publix and Walmart now.

We are really cheapass frugal here. If we can do it just about anyone can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon
    Juke, I'm going to try the soy duck. Any other vegetarian items from them that you would recommend?
    Just stay away from Tofurky. Ugg.

Ala, I'm open to new recipes and think it's kind of fun trying different vegetarian dishes. But with all the organics and exotic ingredients, doesn't it get a bit costly?

I really like vegetables and would like to find a good recipe book to make them more exciting. My biggest weakness to a vegetarian diet would be fish, seafood, and the occasional medium rare steak.
    I can post the recipes that go with the pictures I posted. Do you like pasta, soups/stews, pizzas/pitas, burgers..?

Most of the pics came from this site: http://www.fatfreevegan.com/pasta/pasta.shtml

They have a very comprehensive list of recipes including quick and easy and crockpot sections.
    Last edited by antiquity; 10-28-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon
    Juke, I'm going to try the soy duck. Any other vegetarian items from them that you would recommend?
    Hi Shannon, I've got another order with them for a lot of new to me stuff that'll be arriving on Tuesday and I'll forward new recommendations as I can.

From my last order I have to recommend their most expensive all-inclusive instant noodle item amongst the Nong Shim noodle offerings, the:

I got three of these last time and the noodle is a thick, very tasty one. If you get this only cook the noodles for three and a half minutes unless you like a soft noodle; as 210 sec. this dish will be aldente and delicious. My next order contains about another half dozen instant noodle items that I'll be evaluating.

This company has great software installed in the shoping cart and will hold selected items for days w/o you doing anything special. They also have, for me anyway, the greatest Fed. Ex. shipping rates of any internet company I've ever dealt with; twenty pounds worth of their product shipped to me in a day for less than six dollars. Their line is quite extensive. Oh, I tried and really liked their big tub of miso paste:

Price $4.78
    And the next order includes some of thir more expensive miso.

Price $4.89. Miso is reputed to have strong, almost medicinal value nutritional qualities and the strong red variety or Hatcho will strengthen your immune system and buck you up when run down or feeling a cold/flue coming on.

Here's a site that has an extensive line of high quality and organic misos* at reasonable prices. While I haven't had the opportunity to try any of their products yet I like what I see and indend to in the near future. Miso paste goes a long way making full bodied soups.

Let us know how you like what you try from the AFG.

*http://www.simply-natural.biz/natural_foods_miso.php
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    Exotic ingredients? Which ones? The yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, or mushrooms. You need to eat more vegetables, dude!
    No I was thinking about the couscous and quinoa. Never heard of either one before. BTW Pulix is my favorite grocery store (next to Wegmans for some of you Northerners). Around here we have a decent hispanic produce market as well.

Thanks antiquity. I'm going to start checking out and having my wife cook more of these online recipes. I like different salads and side dishes. Lately we've been eating a lot of "steam fresh" microwavable veggies by Birds Eye and Green Giant. The microwavable long grain rice packages from Uncle Ben's are good too. Although I'm sure were getting more than enough of our daily sodium and artificial dyes and flavoring from all the packaged microwavable stuff.

No I was thinking about the couscous and quinoa. Never heard of either one before. BTW Pulix is my favorite grocery store (next to Wegmans for some of you Northerners). Around here we have a decent hispanic produce market as well.
    Your right about quinoa; it is harder to find. They sell couscous at our Publix and sometimes Walmart but it's more expensive than Whole Foods.

Soon one can make beef in bioreactors, researchers here are closing in. One just uses stem cells to create muscle and muscle layers. The food for the cells is simply methane gas taken from natural gas exploration projects to have single cell proteins to feed on to feed the stem cells. One will have a beef in three weeks. No eyes looking, no hearth beating. Will vegetarians eat it?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Soon one can make beef in bioreactors, researchers here are closing in. One just uses stem cells to create muscle and muscle layers. The food for the cells is simply methane gas taken from natural gas exploration projects to have single cell proteins to feed on to feed the stem cells. One will have a beef in three weeks. No eyes looking, no hearth beating. Will vegetarians eat it?
    Probably not. This method of "production" will be exhorbitantly expensive - and it's the most unnatural method of production I ever even imagined.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    This ones for you Juke and any others who would like to add a little veggie goodness to their lives. Here is one of my wife’s recipes. It works well as a side dish for non-vegetarians too. I even like it as a vegetable side dish with a thick medium-rare steak and a baked potato.

This amount is probably good for six side-dish servings. Add seasoning and spices to suit your taste.

3 organic zucchini
    4 organic yellow squash
    1 can of organic fire roasted tomatoes
    1 can or 1-cup fresh organic mushrooms
    1 whole onion cut into rings
    Slice your zucchini, squash and mushrooms into thin slices, do not peel them. Then put a small amount of oil olive in the bottom of a glass dish then put in your veggies and mix them around a bit then add your can of tomatoes, liquid and all. Put this in a 400 oven for about 45 to 50 minutes or until your vegetables are not crunchy anymore. You can add some salt and pepper to taste. You can serve this with rice or as a side dish with meat. It’s up to you.
    \ What kind of squash do you like and use? The market had a bunch of different kinds and I had no clue what I should use. The guy working there said butternut was the best so I bought that. Any suggestions about other kinds?
    Last edited by wrangle; 10-31-2007 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Probably not. This method of "production" will be exhorbitantly expensive - and it's the most unnatural method of production I ever even imagined.
    Not expensive at all, imagine raising cattle and use lands for years for meat, hey some even say cows are the biggest contributors to global warming. >Thing is, when getting rid of the CO2 in the process to lure it from each other, methane gas derivates is food, maybe not for you, but this really could feed the world. One stem cell line could feed the entire world, and no, it is not a utopia. To ask you then, what is so unnatural about it, or to say methods you want to stand by to have cows in places and barns with animals just standing there year after year just to be a ruler of tem cows. Thing is, this is moving fast here now, world leading ppl are at it, and ppl without food will get food, we are in top notch on the science - huge plains and big farms to have cows for years will be the real utopia. Then of course it will be quite natural. Try to starve for a couple of months if you do not believe in that science, regardless it is here soon, bioreactors are in place. And if you don’t believe in it, thing is, in soon future one could say exactly how the steak should be, like blended with percent of fat (and remember now the fat will be engineered thus healthy), remove bad stuff in beef, and add good stuff, hey, what about a manufactured surf-and-turf for example?