Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

this may sound silly, but it is an honest question...how can it be a veggy burger when burger is ground meat?.. I am not trying to start an aruement..just explain it please..

Quote Originally Posted by darrel
    this may sound silly, but it is an honest question...how can it be a veggy burger when burger is ground meat?.. I am not trying to start an aruement..just explain it please..
    American Heritage Dictionary This burg·er (bûr'gər) Pronunciation Key
    n.
    A sandwich consisting of a bun, a cooked beef patty, and often other ingredients such as cheese, onion slices, lettuce, or condiments. Often used in combination: a cheeseburger.
    A similar sandwich with a nonbeef filling. Often used in combination: a crab burger; a tofu burger.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/burger

okay, thank you..I think I could handle the crab burger a lot easier than the tofo

If you drain firm tofu, cube it, marinate it in Chinese chili sauce and something sweet like apricot preserves and a bit of sesame oil, you can stir fry it like meat, with some vegetables, and it is delicious. I let my family eat it, answering evasively until they were done. THEN I told them what it was! They actually loved it. Tofu really absorbs flavors of marinade, in my experience.

I'm not a veggie, just don't like meat all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by darrel
    okay, thank you..I think I could handle the crab burger a lot easier than the tofo
    LOL. I'll try to find some pics of veggie burgers. The most popular type is black bean but there are soy burgers too.

Most restaurants like Fridays, Chili's, Ruby Tuesdays etc offer them. Top down: black bean burger, the veggie burger Burger King offered, portobello mushroom burger.

What makes a meat burger good are the seasonings, toppings and condiments. Add all of the same stuff to a veggie burger and it tastes the same. You can buy veggie burger patties at the supermarket.
    Last edited by antiquity; 10-28-2007 at 03:39 PM.

For those of you who are interested in veggie burgers, you'll find that the Boca burgers are the burger of choice for most vegans. Best flavor.

Amongs veggie burgers the best combination of taste and texture, the area found most wanting in the vast majority of veggie burgers, is the Morningstar Farms line of burgers. Unfortunately, M F isn't the best choice where other nutritional considerations are concerned.

I've found wheat glluten and combination wheat gluten/soy protien imitation meat products more often doing a good job of approximating the texture of real meats. Also, the wheat based foods digest w/o the same gas producing unpleasantness that is associated with soy products.

Along these lines I want to recommend once again the Soy Duck w Shitake veggie meat product sold by the Asian Food Grocer online store at the unbelievably low price of :

Price $1.29
    Asian food--Delicious and nutritious

Adding Asian food to your diet regimen may help you build a healthier lifestyle. Did you know that evidence suggests that the Asian diet may be healthier than its Western counterparts? Research shows that leading chronic diseases (coronary disease, cancer and diabetes) are not as prevalent in Asia as they are in the United States and that this may be attributed to dietary differences. The Asian diet is based around grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts and legumes, fish, shellfish and vegetable oils. We carry all of these products at asianfoodgrocer.com
    Let us provide you with the variety of Asian food products that you need to create a meal that is tasty and good for you too.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Ala, I'm open to new recipes and think it's kind of fun trying different vegetarian dishes. But with all the organics and exotic ingredients, doesn't it get a bit costly?

I really like vegetables and would like to find a good recipe book to make them more exciting. My biggest weakness to a vegetarian diet would be fish, seafood, and the occasional medium rare steak.

Juke, I'm going to try the soy duck. Any other vegetarian items from them that you would recommend?