Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

lol guys ...a potato doesnt smell and taste like a filet mignon.
    i prefer white meat .....chicken or fish 3-4 times a week and plenty veggies on the side.
    ps.i avoid pork ...is tasty but not very healthy.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Omnivores Dilemma

I just read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan (actually I listened to it - a great way to ingest good books while my commute is made easier).
    I highly recommend it.
    We're basically omnivores and I believe we were designed to live primaarily on grains, veggies and fruits with the occasional tasty critter thrown in for protein and pleasure.

Great book!

Quote Originally Posted by ala
    Good, because there is no knee jerking going on here in respect to vegetarianism or tofu. It's a joke. You don't have to defend vegetarians around me. My wife is one. She's been one for at least 40 years, and she's vegan. We have both carnivores and vegetarians here.

Both vegetarian and meat-eating diets have nutritional needs. Vegetarians can find themselves lacking in protein and B12. Tofu and beans are good sources of protein. Add this with rice and you have a complete protein source. For vegetarians B12 is a little harder to come by. Many find it necessary to take vitamin supplements.

The point is both vegetarians and meat-eaters can have health problems as a result of their diets. Both must take a balanced approach.
    I wasn't defending vegetarians, nothing to defend. As I said, I'm not a vegetarian, just trying to keep this topic from degenerating as the subject tends to make certain types of people uncomfortable to the point of open hostility. The dozens of discussions about recipes involving meat are testament to the fact that meat eaters feel welcome in this forum. Vegetarians should feel welcome too.

As for B12 and protein deficiencies in vegetarians, those deficiencies exist in meat eaters too. Eating meat definitely won't absolve ones need for nutritional suppliments. I personally dislike tofu and beans and never subscribed to the belief that you have to rely on bland or tasteless food in order to meet certain nutritional needs if you're a vegetarian. I do however like grains and would recommend quinoa, a complete source of protein, over tofu any day or to a meat eater or vegetarian. Of course there's nothing wrong with eating tofu if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by garvey
    I just read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan (actually I listened to it - a great way to ingest good books while my commute is made easier).
    I highly recommend it.
    We're basically omnivores and I believe we were designed to live primaarily on grains, veggies and fruits with the occasional tasty critter thrown in for protein and pleasure.

Great book!
    crap, I thought you were trying to say eat a book at first, I don't need that much fiber...ha,ha

I'll admit that I tried to be a vegetarian back in the eighties, it lasted for six months, trying to be a vegetarian and going to alaska on the boats did not work out very well, I lasted I think 3 weeks, they finally broke me with beef stew, I love a good stew..

My wife eats couscous (kuskus) and quinoa

She cannot eat bulgur because she's allegic to wheat gluten.

You can usually get these at Whole Foods Stores
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cous_cous
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgur

ala, pour some water over your head your on fire!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darrel
    ala, pour some water over your head your on fire!!!!
    I don't have much hair so fire looks pretty good to me.

Spelt is another favorite grain around here (very little wheat gluten).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelt

Quote Originally Posted by garvey
    I highly recommend it.

Great book!
    i learned that fire and cooked meat made a huge diffrence regarding humans and other inferior species.true or not?
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    i learned that fire and cooked meat made a huge diffrence regarding humans and other inferior species.true or not?
    You just asked about a half dozen different questions Adi. Clarify and we can proceed.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane