Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

#16) my G/F cooking some times......if it gets back to her I'll deny the whole thing!!

oh Darrel, your a bad bad boy! LOL

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

oh to choose:
    a nice juicey steak

or this

Stay safe my son. See you around thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Robynbird569
    oh to choose:
    a nice juicey steak

or this
    Robinbird, sure you can be a little immature and poke unrealistic fun at the realities of the need, both nutritional and environmental, for healthy diet change. I could respond in the same spirit and come back with a full screen of attractive vegie meals but I'll let you have the mantle where this vein is concerned. Nobody can force you to eat responsibly or even to examine your habits for overall responsibility where this everyday area of behavior is concerned - nobody in their right mind would even want to impose any such thinking or behavior on you - but the wealth of information pointing up the urgent advisability of making such changes increases daily.

I apologise for the school-masterly tone of my reply here but the thread wants to examine the RL pluses of eating a vegetarian diet and your post varies from that goal. Thanks.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 10-27-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

ITA. There are dozens of threads in this forum that discuss and contain recipes for meals that contain meat. There's no harm or foul in having one or two devoted to meatless recipes and meals. Both can and should be tolerated.

Vegetarian diets need not be limited to tofu or carrots. Although I'm currently not a vegetarian, when I was, most of my meals were pasta, potato and rice based. A person can technically be a vegetarian and subsist on pizza and pepsi. I always found the knee jerk association between vegetarianism and tofu silly and completely unrealistic.

Back to topic. If you can afford to eat take out often, Chinese and Thai cuisine are typically vegetarian friendly and yummy. Schezuan (sp) sauce with broccoli and Pad Thai without the meat are delicious.
    Last edited by antiquity; 10-27-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robynbird569
    oh to choose:
    a nice juicey steak

or this
    I'll take the steak any day!!!

boy those vegies paint a nasty picture

Quote Originally Posted by darrel

Well Darrel, that helps explain the fact that we look about the same age while your nineteen years my junior.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I was rather crule to my body in my younger days, drug & alcohol had large factors in my health plus smoking for 30 years didn't help any either

Quote Originally Posted by darrel

of course the veggies look rotten and disgusting but that was the point. showing a photo of an appetizing vegetarian dish would have defeated the purpose.
    Last edited by antiquity; 10-27-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    ...Vegetarian diets need not be limited to tofu or carrots. Although I'm currently not a vegetarian, when I was, most of my meals were pasta, potato and rice based. A person can technically be a vegetarian and subsist on pizza and pepsi. I always found the knee jerk association between vegetarianism and tofu silly and completely unrealistic.
    Good, because there is no knee jerking going on here in respect to vegetarianism or tofu. It's a joke. You don't have to defend vegetarians around me. My wife is one. She's been one for at least 40 years, and she's vegan. We have both carnivores and vegetarians here.

Both vegetarian and meat-eating diets have nutritional needs. Vegetarians can find themselves lacking in protein and B12. Tofu and beans are good sources of protein. Add this with rice and you have a complete protein source. For vegetarians B12 is a little harder to come by. Many find it necessary to take vitamin supplements.

The point is both vegetarians and meat-eaters can have health problems as a result of their diets. Both must take a balanced approach.