Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 131

Thread: 15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

  1. #111
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Mona, I can't get you over your fear of what seems too strange for you to try and more and more that is what I'm getting from these exchanges. I said repeatedly that each packet carries a basic soup recipe of carrots, onions and green onion - but have purposely left out that it also calls for wakame, a seaweed, just because of anticipating resistance of the kind you're showing now. True, it's only a teaspoon each time and the wakame is cheap and readily available online but even the concept of a seaweed food component (there are many of them with various qualities and culinary uses) is alien to most 'American minds' considering their palates.

    Any real curiosity about uses of/for miso are readily answered with your friendly google - as is true for it's history and variations as it traveled from century to century and one global nesting place to another. It's a little exotic. Get over it.
    Yep, use to southern cooking! Thanks for the info! I'm over it.

  2. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    Okay, it's a paste made from soybeans & a grain fermented, used in soups.
    What do you usually put in the soup?
    It said Asian, Japanese soup.
    Mona I learned to love miso soup while I was living in Japan. The great thing about it is you can put just about anything you want into it. The only thing that really defines miso soup as such is the mixing of the miso paste with the dashi soup stock.

    In Japan I found a lot of regional and seasonal differences as to what was in the soup. So pretty much anything goes. Some of the things my partner and I like when we make it include salmon, chicken, grilled eggplant and mushrooms, butternut squash, snow peas, bean sprouts, chinese cabbage, and on. The list is pretty endless, limited only by your imagination and what things you like to eat. We usually make it with whatever happens to be in the fridge or whatever we are in the mood for. My partner also likes to go to the Asian supermarket and pickup things like okra and natto beans once in a while as a change from what we normally get from the our neighbourhood grocery store. This weekend we planned to try a simple miso soup recipe that called for tofu but didn't get around to it. Maybe next weekend.

    Here is a link that is a pretty good introduction to miso soup. It goes through everything from the different kinds and colours of miso paste to helpful utensils and recipe variations. We get some of our recipes from here. But if you google you find thousands of pages with information and recipes. My partner usually makes it from scratch but we have found some of the instant stuff isn't too bad once you add the vegtables you like (and meat or fish if you wish).

    http://www.squidoo.com/misosoup

    Last edited by orangejello; 09-02-2008 at 11:52 AM.

  3. #113
    Senior Member fishin'guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle area Wash state
    Posts
    2,382
    I saw earlier in post that it would help the enviroment, no-no, cows methane adds alot, so I do my part by eating the cows for you guys. I am trying for my wife and I to change our diets, she's diabetic and all of you have convinced me for the sake of BProgrm. to eatmore veg and fruits, if we can afford it.

  4. #114
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664
    Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    Mona I learned to love miso soup while I was living in Japan. The great thing about it is you can put just about anything you want into it. The only thing that really defines miso soup as such is the mixing of the miso paste with the dashi soup stock.

    In Japan I found a lot of regional and seasonal differences as to what was in the soup. So pretty much anything goes. Some of the things my partner and I like when we make it include salmon, chicken, grilled eggplant and mushrooms, butternut squash, snow peas, bean sprouts, chinese cabbage, and on. The list is pretty endless, limited only by your imagination and what things you like to eat. We usually make it with whatever happens to be in the fridge or whatever we are in the mood for. My partner also likes to go to the Asian supermarket and pickup things like okra and natto beans once in a while as a change from what we normally get from the our neighbourhood grocery store. This weekend we planned to try a simple miso soup recipe that called for tofu but didn't get around to it. Maybe next weekend.

    Here is a link that is a pretty good introduction to miso soup. It goes through everything from the different kinds and colours of miso paste to helpful utensils and recipe variations. We get some of our recipes from here. But if you google you find thousands of pages with information and recipes. My partner usually makes it from scratch but we have found some of the instant stuff isn't too bad once you add the vegtables you like (and meat or fish if you wish).

    http://www.squidoo.com/misosoup

    Thanks OJ for explaining. I really would like to step out of this square box I live in. lol I love eggplant and was wanting to find a new way to eat it. (instead of fried) I love mushrooms too. I make the same beef stew over & over like mom use to make. I love it, but I get tired of it always the same ole thing. Thanks for the link I'll go ck it out. Mona

  5. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    Thanks OJ for explaining. I really would like to step out of this square box I live in. lol I love eggplant and was wanting to find a new way to eat it. (instead of fried) I love mushrooms too. I make the same beef stew over & over like mom use to make. I love it, but I get tired of it always the same ole thing. Thanks for the link I'll go ck it out. Mona
    I can remember the first few years I lived on my own I pretty much ate meat loaf and instant pototes almost everyday broken up by the occasional chinese take out or pizza

    I like both egg plant and mushrooms too. Here is a good link to a pretty easy recipe for grilled eggplant and mushroom miso soup that we like. We don't make very often it seems but its very tasty.

    I have a few easy eggplant recipes you might like. I will start a new thread and post them there because I would also like to hear if others have any as well.

    http://www.justhungry.com/2006/08/a_...ay_3_gril.html

  6. #116
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,664
    Thanks OJ! That's simple enough. I'll fix it as soon as the Miso gets here.


  7. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    8,259

    Our shipping season is from September 15th until May 15th, depending on weather conditions.

    We will have a fresh supply of Dandelion Leek Miso and Red Pepper Garlic Miso in the Fall!

    To learn more about all of our products click here. Or, on the menu above, click on OUR PRODUCTS.

    Thanks to all our loyal customers for another successful miso season.

    June 2008
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

  8. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    17,427
    Great. More unhealthy add spam recipes for lazy powder food. -I personally will not try any of those tiger juke soups, but stay healthy and virile by eating -real food.

  9. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Placerville, CA
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Great. More unhealthy add spam recipes for lazy powder food. -I personally will not try any of those tiger juke soups, but stay healthy and virile by eating -real food.
    Hickup!
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

  10. #120
    My first attempt at homemade tomato sauce came out with mixed results. I left it to simmer for too long, so it became more of a paste, but remained quite flavorful.

    Ingredients:
    6 large Brandywine Tomatoes, peeled
    2 Sweet Bell Peppers
    6 small boiling onions
    3 spears of freshly chopped celery
    1 heaping tablespoon of garlic
    1 bay leaf
    Basil, Oregano, Pepper, Salt

    Brought it to a boil for 10 minutes, simmered for 2.5 hours, but I'd recommend simmering for only 1.5 hours depending on your desired thickness for the sauce.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

    "It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Similar Threads

  1. Reasons for Complications with Kidney Failure Patients
    By Max in forum Health & Science News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 08:28 PM
  2. Five Reasons to Learn to Forgive
    By Max in forum Life
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 02:20 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 11:34 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2002, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •