Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    Okay, I'll try it. What's the ratio of miso paste to water? What's the difference between the red and the white miso? Also, I like a lot of spicy vegetable dishes. Any recommendations?
    DoingTimeOMA, the recipe recommended ratio is 11/2 - 2 tablsp. to 4 cups of water but I use about 4 1/2 Ts for a couple of reasons: a) I like a stronger miso flavor than the recipes amt. would give and b) the package reveals that a portion of the soup about 2 1/2 cups large (a big serving) only supplies 3 grams of protein - doing it my way bumps that to over 7 grams. Of course you can make it a non-vegetarian soup/stew with shrimps or fish or some other animal protein source but I'd still go with a stronger base flavor than what is recommended by the recipe.

Of course you can spice it with garlic, ginger, peppers, etc. but if you do you'll obliterate the delicate nuances this great aged soup can deliver. If you'll go back to the beginning of this thread you'll find that Saorsa and Antiquity have posted some great spicy Indian dishes.

Good luck with this; I'm so into it that I just ordered another variant on the basic aged miso, also by Eden and from an amazon seller. A reviewer praised it and concluded that he still had some of the concentrate left after a year. He may think differently but he doesn't really like the miso he so praises; I've gone through more than half of my four packet order in three weeks and am eagerly awaiting the delivery of the new kind.

Eden Hacho Miso, Organic - Soybean, 12.1-Ounce Packages (Pack of 4)

Eden Mugi Miso, Organic - Soybean & Barley, 12.1-Ounce Packages (Pack of 3)
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 09-01-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I looked at the links on Amazon. Very pricey for me.
    I hope I don't sound too stupid, but what is it?
    Soy beans, a spice?

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    I looked at the links on Amazon. Very pricey for me.
    I hope I don't sound too stupid, but what is it?
    Soy beans, a spice?
    No, it doesn't sound stupid; you shouldn't be expected to cough up what seems a lota $$$ for what you don't understand; what is miso paste. What you sound like is reluctant to try something new.

Miso is a Japanese fermented soybean paste made with soybeans, rice or barley, salt, and water. An all-purpose seasoning with a rich, hearty, often meatlike flavor and aroma, miso can be used (often like a meat stock or bouillon) in the preparation of soups, sauces, gravies, dips, dressings, and many other foods, as described in...
    http://www.soyinfocenter.com/HSS/miso1.php

Misos are said to improve with aging up until two or three years post original production, much like a fine wine or puerh tea. As for expense, if you look at the proportion of paste to water you see that per serving it is relatively inexpensive to eat miso soup. Mona, you could make a slightly smaller investment by getting the other Eden miso I just ordered and included in the above post. I haven't had it yet so can't say if it's as good as or better then the one I've already tried. Of course the less costly miso consists of just three twelve ounce bags instead of the four making up the other - so the price per bag works out to roughly the same.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Okay, it's a paste made from soybeans & a grain fermented, used in soups.
    What do you usually put in the soup?
    It said Asian, Japanese soup.

Thanks Juke. I'll check out a local Asian grocery for some of that tomorrow. The regular supermarket only carries the premade soup. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels
    Okay, it's a paste made from soybeans & a grain fermented, used in soups.
    What do you usually put in the soup?
    It said Asian, Japanese soup.
    Mona, I can't get you over your fear of what seems too strange for you to try and more and more that is what I'm getting from these exchanges. I said repeatedly that each packet carries a basic soup recipe of carrots, onions and green onion - but have purposely left out that it also calls for wakame, a seaweed, just because of anticipating resistance of the kind you're showing now. True, it's only a teaspoon each time and the wakame is cheap and readily available online but even the concept of a seaweed food component (there are many of them with various qualities and culinary uses) is alien to most 'American minds' considering their palates.

Any real curiosity about uses of/for miso are readily answered with your friendly google - as is true for it's history and variations as it traveled from century to century and one global nesting place to another. It's a little exotic. Get over it.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 09-01-2008 at 11:15 PM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Juke, do you ever make homemade tomato sauce? I grew brandywines this summer and am attempting sauce for the first time. Presently, I need a screen to strain out the seeds.

Also, I plan to try some Miso soon, but prefer to make soups in large batches. Can you recommend an amount of Miso per, say, liter of soup? Thanks.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

My Dad went Vegan and looks like crap now. He looks pale and skinny. A lot of vegtables have pesticides look at apple juice and tomatoe thing. Nothing is good or safe for you now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa
    Juke, do you ever make homemade tomato sauce? I grew brandywines this summer and am attempting sauce for the first time. Presently, I need a screen to strain out the seeds.

Also, I plan to try some Miso soon, but prefer to make soups in large batches. Can you recommend an amount of Miso per, say, liter of soup? Thanks.
    Nix on the tomato sauce. I used to use various tomato sauces on various pastas; even made my own pastas with a home extruder machine - but I never use it on pasta anymore.

Here's one of Eden's basic soup recipes for their miso:

Basic Miso Soup
    Ingredients

3 inch piece Eden Wakame
    or 1 teaspoon Eden Instant Wakame Flakes
    4 cups (or a liter) water
    1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup carrots, julienned
    1 1/2 (4 tabls for Juke's variation) Tablespoons Eden Organic Mugi Miso, dissolved in 2 T. cold water
    3 Tablespoons green onions, finely sliced

Directions

Rinse wakame, soak in cold water to cover for 5 minutes and dice. If using instant wakame flakes, add directly to the pot; no soaking required. Bring water to a boil. Add onions and wakame. Simmer 3 minutes. Add the carrots and simmer 5 minutes. Reduce the flame to very low. Add pureed miso and simmer 2 minutes. Do not boil after adding miso. Garnish with green onions.

Optional Ingredients: tofu, dried tofu, shiitake mushrooms, leafy greens, daikon, lotus root, leeks, round or root vegetables, cooked noodles or even leftover, cooked organic grains.

Eden Organic Hacho, Genmai or Shiro Miso may be substituted for Mugi. You may need to use just slightly more miso, 1/2 teaspoon, if using one of these.
    http://www.edenfoods.com/recipes/view.php?recipes_id=50

There's lots more recipes at their site but I've used this one (above) each time although I've more than doubled the miso paste and, sometimes, the veggies as well. I've kept this as a soup/stew stock in the fridge for up to four days without problems, adding rice and/or barley and/or pasta each time I took some out to heat into a meal. OK, sometimes I added some seafood as well. I wish I would go completely vegan but so far have settled for my halfway approximation. It has resulted in increased vitality though, as well as a more relaxed stance and feeling about my relationship with the ecosphere.*

*http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ecosphere
    J.B.S.Haldane

Fantastic! Thank you for the link.
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta