Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

Cool Norwegian Idiocy

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    'kay then.
    http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ir...cle1854015.ece

And what whales are you talking 'bout, there are many diffrent species you know. The one you hint towards are not endangered. For youre info.
    This:
    Kjøtt rett fra lab'en

Det høres ut som det er hentet fra en science fictionfilm, men kjøtt produsert i reaktorer er nærmere enn du tror.
    MARTIN GRAY
    ...isn't funny.

And slaughtering intellilgent creatures just because that slaughter isn't threatening to make them extinct isn't exactly a humane or intelligent/sensitive arguement.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    Don't know why that would be since there are people e.g., Jains who are vegetarian from birth due to religious reasons who are strong and live long, healthy lives. I think the connection between vegetarianism and fatigue is a misnomer as much as the connection between meat eating and health is. There are plenty of meat eaters out there who feel crappy and run down. As for athletes, a suprising number are vegetarian. I've read that veg. bodybuilders consume a lot of maca. I'm not familiar with it but Juke probably is. I think the problem is that people who stop eating meat aren't familiar with all of the food options available to vegetarians so they end up relying on an inadequate amount and type of food to meet all of their nutritional needs.
    Muhammad Ali tried to be a vegetarian when he was the world champ in boxing but he said he felt he had lost power and that there was a difference he could make out in his performance so he went back to meat.

There is this Japanese footballer Hidetoshi Nakata who tries for his meals that consist of 100% beef because he doesn’t eat any vegetables and not even rice and claims that it's the reason for his stamina and strength.

I had also seen a show on discovery channel where they had made two groups of fighters who were on a veg diet and non-veg diet respectively and the one's who were on the non-veg diet proved to be much better in their strength and power compared to the vegetarian fighters. I guess there has to be some truth in this if I’m not wrong.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dedicated Hosting

Mark07, Mac Danzig is a professional MMA fighter and also a vegan. It certainly hasn't slowed him down. You can find info about him here: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2896328/artist/494656
    "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Just to name a few:

Bill Goldberg, former WCW wrestler.

Bernard Hopkins, former middle weight champion of the world. Holds the record for the most title defenses.

Brendan Brazier, Ironman Triathlete.

Carl Lewis - who won 10 Olympic medals including 9 golds, and 10 World Championships medals, of which 8 were golds, in a career that spanned from 1979 when he first achieved a world ranking to 1996 when he last won an Olympic title and subsequently retired. He says the following:

Can a world-class athlete get enough protein from a vegetarian diet to compete? I've found that a person does not need protein from meat to be a successful athlete. In fact, my best year of track competition was the first year I ate a vegan diet.
    http://www.vegsource.com/articles/lewis_intro.htm

Robert Parish - Center - Boston Celtics Basketball

Edwin Moses - an American track and field athlete who won gold medals in the 400-meter hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. Between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals (122 consecutive races). He set the world record in his event four times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Moses

Again, a person need not eat meat to be healthy or athletic.
    Last edited by antiquity; 11-08-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    Carl Lewis - who won 10 Olympic medals including 9 golds, and 10 World Championships medals, of which 8 were golds, in a career that spanned from 1979 when he first achieved a world ranking to 1996 when he last won an Olympic title and subsequently retired. He says the following:
    In the aftershock of the Marion Jones affair, it would be tempting simply to suspend belief about every feat of sporting excellence and let cheats do as they wish.

So, having been conditioned early in life to the fact that some athletes use drugs to cheat their way to victory, I was not too terribly shocked when Marion Jones, the darling of the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, confessed last week that she, too, used a once-undetectable steroid to help her win five medals there.

Jones, on Oct. 8, gave back the medals she won at the Sydney Olympics, following her admission that she was a drug cheat. She also agreed to forfeit all results, medals and prizes dating back to Sept. 1, 2000, according to The Associated Press.

Jones won golds in the 100 meters, 200 meters and the 1,600 relay in Sydney, as well as bronzes in the 400 relay and long jump.

The U.S. Olympic Committee chairman said Jones’ relay teammates should give back their medals, too, because they are tainted by the Jones scandal.

http://www.browardtimes.com/index.ph...=600&Itemid=40
    Fact is; US Olympic Commitee gives a rats ass about WADA, until then, who cares about US records? Meat or not lol

Anyway, what is the World Boxing Association? Is it like the World international hockey championship involving just US and Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    In the aftershock of the Marion Jones affair, it would be tempting simply to suspend belief about every feat of sporting excellence and let cheats do as they wish.
    Fact is; US Olympic Commitee gives a rats ass about WADA, until then, who cares about US records? Meat or not lol
    So the purpose of this off-topic, wrong-headed rant of your's is?
    Ex. Ord. No. 13165. White House Task Force on Drug Use in Sports and United States Representative on the Board of the World Anti-Doping Agency

Ex. Ord. No. 13165, Aug. 9, 2000, 65 F.R. 49469, as amended by Ex. Ord. No. 13286, § 11, Feb. 28, 2003, 68 F.R. 10622, provided:
    By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including the Office of National Drug Control [Policy] Reauthorization Act of 1998, (21 U.S.C. 1701 et seq.), and in order to develop recommendations for Federal agency actions to address the use of drugs in sports, in particular among young people, it is hereby ordered as follows:
    Section 1. Policy. The use of drugs in sports has reached a level that endangers not just the legitimacy of athletic competition but also the lives and health of athletes—from the elite ranks to youth leagues. The National Household Survey on Drug Abuse issued in 1999 found that in just 1 year’s time the rate of steroid use among young people rose roughly 50 percent among both sexes and across all age groups. It is the policy of my Administration to take the steps needed to help eliminate illicit or otherwise banned drug use and doping in sports at the State, national, and international level.
    Sec. 2. Establishment of a White House Task Force on Drug Use in Sports. (a) There is established a White House Task Force on Drug Use in Sports (Task Force). The Task Force shall comprise the...
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...000-notes.html

J.B.S.Haldane

bump.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Miso soup/stew reviewed: My original infatuation with miso soup was very short lived; the remainder of the two tubs I bought end of last Oct. are still sitting in the fridge. The good news is that perseverance brought a renewed appreciation of this great vegetarian source of protein, carbs and a host of vitamins and minerals w/o any fat. I took a chance and ordered some hacho three year aged miso w barley (from amazon) and it's turned out to be so good I almost can't stop making and eating it. The packages (by Eden Foods) give a basic recipe adding onion, carrots and green onion.

Last night I had such a craving for more of this great soup that I made up a pot in spite of having neither onions nor green onions on hand. When it was about done simmering I remembered having bought some bulk dried onion way back and found the case I'd sealed my extra seasonings in and located it. Rehydrating a few tablespoons of this with a 5 minute simmer and adding it to the finished miso made for a soup almost as good as the original recipe.

This soup/stew base stores well in the fridge and you can warm it and add rice, pasta, barley or whatever (including seafood or meat if you're so inclined) to make a complete meal.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Okay, I'll try it. What's the ratio of miso paste to water? What's the difference between the red and the white miso? Also, I like a lot of spicy vegetable dishes. Any recommendations?