Thread: Will Baclofen inhibit you from putting on muscle?

Will Baclofen inhibit you from putting on muscle?

I've been working out for years and it seems like I can only get so strong. I was wondering if Baclofen inhibits muscle growth

HI,

I don't know definitely if baclofen inhibits muscle growth but, as you may know, you don't want to wipe out all spasticity with high doses of baclofen because muscle tone helps preserve integrity of the muscle.

If the spasticity doesn't adversely affect with your life, many chose to treat spasticity with physical therapy and standing programs.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    HI,

I don't know definitely if baclofen inhibits muscle growth but, as you may know, you don't want to wipe out all spasticity with high doses of baclofen because muscle tone helps preserve integrity of the muscle.

If the spasticity doesn't adversely affect with your life, many chose to treat spasticity with physical therapy and standing programs.

AAD
    I walk (c-5,6) and only take about 30-40 mg's per day. w/ out it I walk very stiff

Sounds like that low dose is improving your lifestyle. That is good.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by angus
    I've been working out for years and it seems like I can only get so strong. I was wondering if Baclofen inhibits muscle growth
    Angus,

Muscle activity (and spasticity) increases muscle bulk and prevents atrophy. Baclofen, because it inhibits spasticity and hence muscle activity, may reduce muscle bulk. In very high doses, baclofen may cause muscle weakness and flaccidity, thereby contributing to muscle atrophy.

You should only take as much Baclofen as you need for function and comfort. You should not take so much that your muscles as flaccid. Spasticity is actually the cheapest form of exercise. Don't turn it all off. Just get it down enough so that you can function and are comfortable.

The dose of 30-40 mg per day is a reasonably low dose.

Wise.

Talking I agree with Nurses (for once)

For about once... LOL I totally agree with Nurses. Having been on 80 MG a day for 4 years... I went from maintaining my butt and legs... they have literally waisted away to nothng... I believe from the high doses of Baclofen? I was told that was it. I had a terrible time with what I thought was spacticity... but was in fact , Spasms, caused by constant UTI and bowel constipation issues. Furthermore, Baclofen did not do anything one way or another when some skin or toenail injury, or infection is causing severe spasms. It doesn't seen to work on that. Its the same with or without Baclofen. SO basically, I took a drug for 4 years... that wasn't helping with what I thought it was... and waisted away to scary bone and a little skin on my rear end and legs. I tell you, that crap is over prescribed and they do not explain what is really for. I personally do not think most doctors (non SCI) Doctors even get it???
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?