Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Carry a Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by tbdeaux
    I would love to see some pics when you get the holster attached.
    Hi Tbdeaux,

Whadaya trying to put me to work? I recently got new flooring installed throughout my house and my brother, sister and brother-in-law rented an industrial-sized dumpster and cleaned me out of house and home so it would be easy for the flooring guys to work. Well, I didn't have any new flooring put in my garage ( ) but they felt it necessary to clean that out too! They threw every damn thing I owned out... including the two screws that hold the footrests onto my spare wheelchair. Why anyone would throw out two good nuts and bolts that were lying right next to a good wheelchair is beyond me but the list goes on. Not a day goes by when I need something and I go to get it and wham.. that's right, I don't own anything anymore... it's all in the local landfill. But doesn't the new carpeting look lovely. Fuck the lovely carpeting, I want my stuff back!! They were like three busy bees just trying to fill that damn dumpster up to the brim... which they did in under 4 hours. A demolition team couldn't have filled it any faster. Initially I was led to believe it was going to be a whole 2 day job, where we would leisurely go through every box and save the stuff that I wanted/needed. And re-arrange things in the garage a little bit. Isn't a garage for storage? Oh, I don't own a car nor would I park one in there anyway as it could start a house fire or whatever. But no, all three of 'em took different areas of my "somewhat" cluttered house and just went to town... I was trying to be in 3 places all at once but of course that was impossible to do especially since they had stuff blocking my way. They had their agenda. All my extra computer parts were tossed out along with my $800 joystick's extra parts. Some of which I've already re-ordered and repaid for, from Australia of all places! They were all neatly contained within a gallon-sized freezer ziplock bag... what idiot wouldn't know they were important parts? Oh, my vindictive, drunken, idiot brother of course, who can't tie his own damn shoe laces... velcro for him... that's who! The only thing left in my house and garage is an echo. I'm surprised my dog didn't end up in the dumpster! There's a whole other story about my dog and my brother the next Monday when they put the carpeting down. My drunken brother, after he fell in the wet slippery glue let the dog out of the bathroom and she fell in the glue too... yeah, a $100 trip to the vet for them to shave her ass naked... I have pictures! The carpet installers had to pick her up out of the glue and put her out back. I was out front and blocked from entering the front door and wasn't told of the "incident" until hours later. The poor thing.. she was so embarrassed. But seriously, she could have broken a leg or two or three or four. A fiasco that could only happen to me.... and my dog.

So before I can even work on my new chair I first need to get some bolts and nuts (not the correct kind of course... just some that will work) for the footrests on my backup chair so I can work on this one. They didn't leave a freakin' nail in my house/garage... if I want one I need to pay someone to go to the store... $20 for a damn nail! I'd like to order another piece of the 18"x18"x1/4" thick piece of plastic and drill the 12-14 holes through it so it'll replace this cloth sling that I hate because it always needs to be re-tightened... I'm also on my third backrest in just over a year because it keeps sagging too... Medicare wouldn't pay the additional $120 for an adjustable backrest that I requested but they eventually paid $311 minus my $62 (20%) for a custom-made (50% reinforced Dacron... piece of junk) backrest that's just as bad as the 100% reinforced Nylon backrest. I guess I'll need to spend another 20 hours on the phone getting this "new and improved" Dacron backrest replaced... oh, that's what I can do all day today... argue with the DME and Medicare on the phone, oh joy. Or just pay out of pocket for the damn adjustable one and make it easy on myself.

Anyway, I'll need to borrow a drill since mine was thrown out during the "Big Clean" as was my jigsaw and my other handtools (sanders, etc.) that I'll need to cut the leg slots out the 18"x18"x1/4" thick piece of plastic... my one leg is 18"s long (hip to knee) and my broken one is only 16" or 17" inches long (who knows?... I had a great orthopedic doctor who just jammed my completely broken femur into my knee instead of setting the bone properly and then sent me home the next day with an aluminum and velcro brace for me to deal with here at home... alone.. oh, well, with a dog to care for too. He said "As long as your foot isn't facing backwards, it'll be just fine." WTF! Obviously it wasn't his leg. And he didn't need to jam it back into place when it snapped like a carrot out of place on ocassion. It was black and blue and swollen to twice its normal size too. Great Medicare healthcare system. Don't ever get a job and work... get on Medicaid instead.. they treat you better and it doesn't cost ya a dime. Rant!

I'm in a 18" wide x 16" deep chair now but I like the 18" deep piece of 1/4" plastic sling because it never needs adjusting, it's always flat and with the leg slots cut out it leaves a great beer holder between my legs. Now I have to carry the damn beer in my hand wherever I go. Bummer. I now drink more coffee than beer, but whatever. I now have a constant coffee trail from the kitchen to my computer desk.

As soon as I get around to it maybe I'll get the holster screwed onto the bottom of my seat sling and post some pictures. The holes are already in my holster... this is a new seat sling so if I don't get the 1/4" thick plastic sling I'll need to burn a couple holes in it with a soldering iron. I think I still have a soldering iron.. I better look. The cool thing about it being tightly attached under the seat sling is that it can't be seen. I don't want people to know that I'm armed. It may scare some people and I don't want anyone trying to "steal" it from me by suddenly and unexpectedly pushing me over backwards and getting their hands on it. And since the holster and handgrips and the seat sling are all black, even if I am pushed over (for whatever reason) it would still be hard to see. I should be able to get to it before anyone else notices it. I don't like the idea of carrying a gun in plain sight... especially if I were a quad with limited upper body and arm, hand and finger strength. That's just asking for someone to steal it from you. As I see in Quartermile's open, no snap locked, Biachi Yachi holster. That's just screaming, "Come and get me from behind!"

I keep a .38 hidden, that only I know about, near my computer desk and my .45 in the toolkit fanny pack attached to my chair. I prefer to take it out of there and put it into my bedside table at night but I usually get lazy and just keep it on the chair. Hey, a few extra seconds to retrieve it. I almost forgot to unattach it from my chair when I went to my doctor's office last month... that's not cool. Especially since I don't particularly care for her or her front office! Haha.

Anyway, just turn your chair upside down and if you have the correct type of holster, snug the gun's handgrip tight up against the front tubular crossbeam and mark where to drill the holes in the holster and seatsling. No big deal. You may want to spray paint the short flat-headed bolts, nuts and washers flat back so they don't stand out if your chair should get knocked over or if you remove your seat cushion, after you get everything mocked up into place. No sense in advertising the fact that you're armed. And make sure it's situated correctly depending if you're right or left handed. I'm left-handed but I shoot right. My mom taught me to write, she's left-handed and my father taught me to shoot.... yeah, he was right-handed. I shoot pool lefty and golf righty. No wonder I'm so confused.

Bob.

Thank you for letting me vent about the pillaging of my house!
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.
    . The temptation to raise the situation to a violent/fatal level is hard to resist.

Forget the gun and concentrate on staying out of situations where you would need one.

I did military service as a very young man and was trained with a 45 side arm. Also, you need to consider recoil action, in a chair, a high velocity weapon can tricky, remember, every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
    Yeah, you know what seething caudrons of rage those firearm owners are. Just waiting...and waiting...for a situation where they can 'show someone'. They really should focus on hiding from any possible bad situation, staying at home with the doors barred is preferred for sure. I guess they dont know that firing those pistols will send them spinning around while their wheelchair shoots back some 15 feet from the amazing recoil of those evil things, lol.

Firearms are a very personal thing, in the USA, if you're a good citizen, you have the right to choose.

I choose to own, I carry in my car. The chances of ever needing a firearm for defense is very slim.

I shoot full-house .45 ACP frequently sitting in my chair with no problems.

Don't forget you can always hose down somebody with a can of Mace and if they happen to wrestle it away from you first at least the results won't be fatal. I think you still need a Firearms ID card to buy and possess Mace though.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Don't forget you can always hose down somebody with a can of Mace and if they happen to wrestle it away from you first at least the results won't be fatal. I think you still need a Firearms ID card to buy and possess Mace though.
    You can also throw pebbles at them and tell them to "shoo" LOL

People carry deadly force to protect themselves and others. I usually carry OC pepper spray too, and wouldn't hesitate to use either one at the appropriate times.

Dave
    Dave

Herco, All I'm saying is some of us quads have a bit of function in our hands but don't have normal upper extremity strength or good digital dexterity to safely handle a firearm. For me at least Mace in a canister is somewhat manageable to handle so if it was taken from me and then used ON me by a perpetrator I'd lose some snot but at least it wouldn't kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Herco, All I'm saying is some of us quads have a bit of function in our hands but don't have normal upper extremity strength or good digital dexterity to safely handle a firearm. For me at least Mace in a canister is somewhat manageable to handle so if it was taken from me and then used ON me by a perpetrator I'd lose some snot but at least it wouldn't kill me.
    I understand, I was just joking around a little. You taking the responsible route is commendable.

Dave
    Dave

Nahh...Just use grenades..Then you and them wont have to worry about anything...LOL
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Yeah, you know what seething caudrons of rage those firearm owners are. Just waiting...and waiting...for a situation where they can 'show someone'. They really should focus on hiding from any possible bad situation, staying at home with the doors barred is preferred for sure. I guess they dont know that firing those pistols will send them spinning around while their wheelchair shoots back some 15 feet from the amazing recoil of those evil things, lol.
    When I was a kid about 12 years old I'd been shooting guns for years. But my father took me and a friend of mine.. he was slight of build and "small" for his age and had never fired a gun before. Well my father only brought the 12 ga. along and when my friend fired it for the first time, it knocked 'em on his ass. Funny.

Later on when I 16 and older my friends and I would go trap shooting. We'd each buy 2 - 12 ga. boxes of 25 shells each and a gross of clay pigeons. After a couple hours of that I'd have a nice bruise on my shoulder. And we didn't wear ear protection until we were a bit older (and smarter) so our ears would be ringing for a few days. Say what??

I can shoot my .45 and it doesn't move my chair an inch even with the wheel locks off. Maybe a high brass 12 ga. shell or a .44 mag would... I haven't fired a 12 ga. since pre-SCI. And never fired a .44 mag. I shot my old 1943(4) General Motors Army surplus .30 cal. M-1 carbine with a 30 shot banana magazine and it didn't budge me either. But it was a hoot to shoot.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16
    A weapon "they owned" is different from a weapon they had on their person.

I'd love to see the link to your stats. (wikipedia maybe?)

Dave
    lol, I'm talking about a weapon they had on their person Dave. Wikipedia, that's funny! Not my first time around the block Sir, I'm a 20 year student of the most traditional martial art. I have been a student of Shotokan karate since 1987 here in Eastern Canada. I have been a student of a man who is an original student of the man who created the form on Okinawa around the turn of the 1900's. I hold a 4th degree black belt and I am registered at the budokan in Japan. I have trained both the R.C.M.P. (Our national police force in Canada), local police forces, recruits at the Holland Colledge Police Academy and Canadian Forces troops in urban survival skills.

I also work with my associates in a private security firm that 6 of us are involved in. We are all high level martial arts practitioners and we provide personal protection services for vip's. We were good enough as personal protection officers for the Prime Minister of Canada during the Group of 7 conference when it was held here. So I am no stranger to sliding a holster on my belt sir.