Thread: Relief from the Heat

Smile Relief from the Heat

I live in Florida so heat can be a problem. I bought a couple battery operated small fans. They clip to my wheelchair seat sling and can be aimed for best cooling. They are powered by 2 AA batteries. I use rechargables so low cost. I keep one in the house and one in the car for my 'traveling' wheelchair. The product is 'O2 Cool #1261CTR Flexi Clip Fan' and cost about $5 each. They are availbale at Amazon and other vendors. Just Google the product.

You probably won't benefit much from spray bottles in Florida where is is already so humid, but for those in drier parts of the world, a spray bottle or something like a Misty Mate can make fans much more effective as well. If you have the hand function, you can also find combination fan and water sprayer systems.

Gel hat and neck cooling products also help, as do cooling vests if you are exercising or working out in the yard. For guys, putting on a damp or wet T-shirt can really help a lot as well.

(KLD)

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Guys would benefit, if women would wear a damp or wet t-shirt also.

Probably make it hotter though.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I really hate to post it, but I found the best solution for Florida heat: Moving to the Pacific Northwest! Seriously- I did. When I got out of the hospital, I found my internal thermostat was really screwy. Now I am most comfortable when it is about 68-72 degrees F. Higher than 76 and I get uncomfortable, over 78 and I am getting bitchy, and over 85 and I begin to sleep.

Cool idea with the fans! I have to have a fan going most of the time...I love air circulation, but not blowing on me if I can help it.
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Quote Originally Posted by nikki-k
    Now I am most comfortable when it is about 68-72 degrees F.
    What about when it's those frigid temps as a lot of days are? I looked at Oregons forecast for this week... hellllllllllllllll no!! Upper 20's by the end of the week as the lows. The old saying is if you can't take the heat, well... you got out of the kitchen. I'd rather be hot than cold. Being a quad, I freeze when it drops below 60.

I use a spray bottle kept cold in a cooler and a fan that sprays too. It dries quickly, but works.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    What about when it's those frigid temps as a lot of days are? I looked at Oregons forecast for this week... hellllllllllllllll no!! Upper 20's by the end of the week as the lows. The old saying is if you can't take the heat, well... you got out of the kitchen. I'd rather be hot than cold. Being a quad, I freeze when it drops below 60.

I use a spray bottle kept cold in a cooler and a fan that sprays too. It dries quickly, but works.
    what a puss!!

those temps are for up in the mtns, portland and southern aren't that cold. north of you is where it gets cold

Quote Originally Posted by darrel
    what a puss!!

those temps are for up in the mtns, portland and southern aren't that cold. north of you is where it gets cold
    Old illiterate one, reread where I wrote Oregon as a whole and not the cities. Dumbass.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I resemble that

LOL!
    Yeah, I actually like the cold. The first time it snowed, I was out in it. Went to the store, got stuck in a drift (guy actually hopped of a bus to help!), and then when I rolle dout of the video store, a guy and girl were going in, and the guy said to her, "Whoa- I dont know whether to laugh or cry.." LMAO! I wanted to turn to him and say "Laugh! I am havin a BLAST!!!" but did not. I jsut kept smiling and rolled over to the grocery store. Ice storms are a definite no-no, but even the uprights do not spend much time outside when we first get those.

I love my sweatshirts and stuff too. I could never go back to the heat. In fact, I would love to move up to Canada just for the weather. I know- I am not right in the head...
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

well Jeff, if it means any thing I can't stand the cold either any more. but I am real misserable in the heat.
    just got into it this morning with the ol'lady about her turning the therostat down (it was 66 in here and I was freazing..I guess that makes me a puss to..LOL