Thread: Back Pain is more of a disibility than my SCI

Unhappy Back Pain is more of a disibility than my SCI

I've had lower back pain for 27 of my 29 years as a C4/5 quad. The last 10 - 15 years or so it's gotten increasinly worse. I have good & bad days, but it's always somewhat there. I don't have a burning, but more of a dull pain. Sometimes feels like someone's pushing on my lower spine w/ a fat broom stick. But most of the time it's just a dull pain that I really can't describe, but as it gets worse. It's more of a throbbing pain. If I don't sit just right in my chair it starts out bad and gets unbearable. Laying in bed doesn't always help the problem either, as I have to be positioned straight while laying on my back and have my legs pulled slightly to ease the pain. When I turn on my sides, it's often difficult to get my legs and hips situated just right to be comfortable.

I had a Baclofen pump implanted approximately 9 years ago on a Dr.'s recomendation & wish I had researched it more. It took care of my spasms, but didn't help the pain, much. By getting rid of the spasms I'm more susceptable to pressure sores because my muscle tone has atraphied. I'd known about this side effect, I may have held off and tried to find a different solution.

Actually, my back pain has been much more of a handicap to me then my quadriplegia ever has! I no longer take my wheelchair in the grass or anywhere else that's even slightly bumpy as it causes me to shift in my seat, which in turn causes my back pain to increase exponentially. When I go down ramps, 99% of the time, I back down. So the downhill gravity doesn't slouch me down any. And when going anywhere in my van I always have to remind the driver to go easy the on the brakes and instead of trying to think of the shortest route, I always think of the least bumpy.

If I should get shifted out of shape in my chair, my back pain gets worse the longer I sit the worse it gets, and I don't get a chance to enjoy the activity I went to. If I have a couple people available, I can have them straightening me up in my chair, but that's about a 20 minute job and not a very easy one. I need someone who can lift me from behind under the arms and sit me back down gently while someone else pushes my knees back. This makes it hard to find lifting help at home, let alone while I'm out as I've been unable to find a lift that can lift me this way.

I haven't had any tests recently, but in the past have had CAT scans, MRIs, x-rays, etc. and according to the doctors never found anything wrong. A few doctors mentioned phantom pain, but I just can't buy that for the following reasons:
    #1. If I'm not sitting in my chair or lying in bed just right, the pain gets worse.
    #2. If someone bumps me in the back I get a shooting pain.
    #3. When driving down a sidewalk and hitting a bump or small drop-off, I get a shooting pain in my back.
    I would think ill it was phantom pain, the pain would be the same, not change if one of the above three things were to happen.

I took Darvocet for years, which helped take the edge off, but never eliminated it completely, but two years ago I switched to Narco, which seemed to help more, but it doesn't seem to be doing as much as it was when I first switched.

Does anybody else experience anything like this, and if so what have you done or what do you do to help it?

That's always been the case here - pain more disabling than paralysis. And the pains keep getting worse, so they limit more function with time.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Yes yes a very similar problem. i m 24 and m experiencing same as u..its been 14 years of my injury but pain started before 2 years ago...

but u know what i feel and have expereinced...

My Weigght!...i was hefty and that time i had severe back pain and use to shout on my driver when he dont care for the bumps thou small...there was no exercise n i just use to work work like a dog ignoring my exercise of upper limbs too...

but by gods grace, i almost in vented my cause of pain...my weight!! due to some religion activity i went on fast and so but obviously i had to cut down much food...that shedded my kiloss!...n plus i started doing warm up exercise much and rest of the day in the evening again do warm up exercise...

u cut off weight and do exercise ...atleast warmup exerciseee..i bet u will have no pain...bcos c i m almost pain free now..

Quote Originally Posted by Shwetarose
    u cut off weight and do exercise ...atleast warmup exerciseee..i bet u will have no pain...bcos c i m almost pain free now..
    Thanks for the reply, but weight is not my problem... I'm 6' 3" & keep my weight around 165lb - 180lbs. Since I don't weigh myself regularly I'm not sure exactly what I weigh, but I am careful not to put too much on!

it definately sounds like it is a mechanical indiced pain.
    i think you should go with your gut and research this more. what type of hardware , if any do you have in that location?
    cauda equina

Weight is not my problem, either. Central pain syndrome and snapping scapuulas are.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I heard that cymbalta is good for pain neurological pain

Debbie has had major problems with back pain due to compression fractures from osteoporosis the last couple years. Dunno if that might be an issue for you, but you might ask your doc about the possibility.

Laying in bed doesn't always help the problem either, as I have to be positioned straight while laying on my back and have my legs pulled slightly to ease the pain. When I turn on my sides, it's often difficult to get my legs and hips situated just right to be comfortable.

Alan, this might be your Sacroiliac Joints. The fact that you feel better when your legs are pulled sounds familiar from when I had SI problems. It's really a horrible pain is hard to fix. What you might try in your chair is putting a wide rolled towel under your thighs about 1.5 inches thick. What you want is to be sitting more on the thighs than the buttocks, and using the towel in this manner, your butt is kinda hanging a bit off the towel and not taking 100% of your body weight.

Since I don't know when in my SI injury, I discovered that placing a pillow between my knees when sleeping on my side does much for any discomfort I might have.