Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: how much difference b/t magic bullet supp & other suppositories/enemas?

  1. #1

    how much difference b/t magic bullet supp & other suppositories/enemas?

    the magic bullet uses bisacodyl, just like many other suppositories, so how much difference could there be? plus there are enemas that use bisacodyl, too....

    what about the other suppositories & enemas? dulcolax, saline, fleet... Is there a way to choose what will or might work best w/o just trying every last one of them (you know-- if your body does this _____, then use this ____)

  2. #2
    I use magic bullets as well they are my preferred suppositories. Whenever I run out I go to the pharmacy and then make sure I buy the suppositories that have bisacodyl because glycerin suppositories will not work whatsoever. I don't like dulcolax containing bisacodyl they are not that good and they smell bad if you fart with liquid or even when getting digital stim.

  3. #3
    I can't explain to you all the technical terms of what works best and why.

    I can just say, don't even mess w/ the other stuff. If you want good and quick results, use the magic bullet. It is friend to many!

  4. #4
    i've always used the cheapest bisacodyl supp.

    $2.37 for about 18. thank god they work for me, i'm a cheapo whenever possible.

  5. #5
    MB is water based, so dissolves faster, among other benefits (search for others' experiences, which seem pretty favorably consistent).

    The other I used (I think Ducolax) took longer to act, over time - up to 45 min to an hour before getting any results. Then I began having residual results a couple hours after completing (almost always soon after I'd be dressed! evil sob). Switched to MB a few years ago, and have had much faster prog. For me, it begins to work in ~ 10 - 15 minutes, and no longer than 20 min (can depend on level of constipation, etc.). I use half a bullet. So a box of 100 will last a long time - long after exp. date, but I think they are effective for some period after noted expiration date (not sure how long after exp. date, potency remains same, or if there is an established period/timeframe for effectiveness after date).

    You can buy in smaller amounts too. You should try it, if you haven't.

    I don't think regular use of enemas are good for you/r bowels.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by chick
    MB is water based, so dissolves faster, among other benefits (search for others' experiences, which seem pretty favorably consistent).
    makes perfect sense as far speed of result, but shouldn't quality of result be the same? then again, applying logic to the neurogenic bowel may be a mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by chick
    The other I used (I think Ducolax) took longer to act, over time - up to 45 min to an hour before getting any results. Then I began having residual results a couple hours after completing (almost always soon after I'd be dressed! evil sob). Switched to MB a few years ago, and have had much faster prog. For me, it begins to work in ~ 10 - 15 minutes, and no longer than 20 min (can depend on level of constipation, etc.). I use half a bullet. So a box of 100 will last a long time - long after exp. date, but I think they are effective for some period after noted expiration date (not sure how long after exp. date, potency remains same, or if there is an established period/timeframe for effectiveness after date).

    You can buy in smaller amounts too. You should try it, if you haven't.
    i ordered some today.
    Quote Originally Posted by chick

    I don't think regular use of enemas are good for you/r bowels.
    if the enema is using the same chemical as the MB, it seems as though it shouldn't make much difference, but there i go applying logic again...
    i definitely agree though. but just want to understand better that way i can avoid mistakes in the future.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Florida
    Posts
    2,698
    There is a huge difference for me between Magic Bullets and other types. I have been using them for 13 years now. Keep in mind that everyone is different. You may have to experiment to find what's right for you.

    Magic Bullet shelf life says 6mo. but they will last longer. Just keep them in the refrigerator (don't freeze), and they will last at least a year. I don't notice them getting stronger or weaker over time.

    Here a link to Concepts in Confidence the creators of the Magic Bullet. They have info and studies.
    http://www.conceptsinconfidence.com/

    Here is a cheap place to buy them.
    http://www.allegromedical.com/bathro...y-p190938.html

  8. #8
    I think ther are many difference Between the Magic bullets and other types .because the Magic bullets can dissolve in the water.
    I love sci.rutgers

  9. #9
    Hi,

    AS was stated above, the main difference between the Magic Bullet and a bisacodyl suppository is the base. MB is water based and people report quicker and beter evacuation. Both contain the stimulant, bisacodyl, which due to the stimulating effect usually work better than glycerine
    type that is without a stimulant.


    Fleets is the most common bisacodyl enema. It seems most people prefer the suppository form. There is no magical formula (if you have ____, then ____) that I am aware of. Search "bowel programs for SCI" and you will get lots of information. Unfortunately it's a trial and error issue and then even this may require tweaking as time goes on.

    AAD

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottS
    makes perfect sense as far speed of result, but shouldn't quality of result be the same? then again, applying logic to the neurogenic bowel may be a mistake.
    The Magic Bullet and Dulcolax (or other oil base supp) both have bisacodyl, the active stimulant that increases peristalsis - (def.) the involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine or another canal, creating wavelike movements that push the contents of the canal forward. Some of my personal thoughts on why/how function will produce different results:
    • If the MB dissolves faster, the stimulant's effect will be faster as it is absorbed much quicker by the rectal walls/tissue.
    • MB = more medication (bisacodly)/faster, into system, triggers peristalsis more quickly and more thoroughly (I think, esp. with some people whose body/tissues may be more sensitive to the active ingredient).
    • Slower absorption of ducolax may result in it less bisacdyl working on body before it is pushed out by/with stool
    • Less need for dig. stim.
    • Less overall time sitting on commode = less risk of pressure
    The type of laxative may effect the speed, but also the quality of results (of stool). The type of laxative is by it's mechanism and function - how they act on your intestines, etc.

    There are many different types of laxatives, which are grouped by it's function/mechanism. Stimulants can be oral or supp; increase bulk and/or soften; made for short term/temp/occasional use (mag citrate, milk of mag, ex-lax, etc.), while others are more safe for long term use (Metamucil, Citrucel, etc.).
    if the enema is using the same chemical as the MB, it seems as though it shouldn't make much difference, but there i go applying logic again...
    Are referring to the "mini-enema", such as Enemeze? These are different from full out enemas, which Fleets are.

    Mini-enemas/Enemeze contain Ducusate, which is a stool softener, like colace, different from MB/bisacodyl.

Similar Threads

  1. Wound ballistics
    By Wise Young in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 10:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •