Thread: SCI Nurse. Sore - Baby boy

SCI Nurse. Sore - Baby boy

My brother's baby son has a sore on his leg. The doctor ordered 2 blood tests to be done. Full blood count and C. Reactive Protein. On the first one the Lymphocytes were 68.0 (Normal range 20-45) and C. Reactive Protien was 12.0 mg/dl. and it says that if the value is above 4.0 there is an extensive inflammatory disease. We are very worried about it. SCI Nurse please advice.

Hi,

Sorry to hear of this. I would encourage them to ask any and all questions of their doctor.

The c reqctive protein (CRP) test is a very non-specific blood test that can show elevation from many things and cannot give a diagnosis. It is mainly used as an indication of inflammation and/or infection.This test by itself should not be interpreted as very bad news. While 12 may seem high, I have seen it go as high as over the 100's. Here is a link that may help:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders.../crp/test.html

The main thing is that the sore is being treated by a doctor and monitored during healing. The CRP can be repeated after treatment to see if it goes down, which can take some time but can be helpful.

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by Sisira
    My brother's baby son has a sore on his leg. The doctor ordered 2 blood tests to be done. Full blood count and C. Reactive Protein. On the first one the Lymphocytes were 68.0 (Normal range 20-45) and C. Reactive Protien was 12.0 mg/dl. and it says that if the value is above 4.0 there is an extensive inflammatory disease. We are very worried about it. SCI Nurse please advice.
    Sisira,

C-reactive protein increases with anything that can cause an inflammation. The doctor got the test because he wanted to get some idea of what the cause of the sore was. The fact that lymphocyte counts are high at 68% and CRP is high indicates that it is likely to be a systemic infection and probably of viral origin. Does the baby have a fever? If so, it would be consistent with a viral infection and efforts should be made to identify the cause. I agree with AAD that the CRP levels are not that high. To me, it just indicates that the baby is reacting strongly to an infection.

In most cases, these situations subside and go away after a week or two. The goal of the medical investigation should be to find out whether there is something (like a bacterial infection) that is treatable with antibiotics.

Wise.

Thanks Dr. Young, SCI Nurse. I was very worried about it.The doctor has started antibiotics. (cloxacilline) Hope he gets better soon.