View Poll Results: Do you use clean or sterile intermittent catheterization? I use

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clean intermittent catheterization (new catheter)

28 35.90%
  • Clean intermiettent catheterization (re-use silicone coat)

16 20.51%
  • Clean intermittent catheterization (re-use hydrophilic coat)

0 0%
  • Clean intermittent cathetherization (other type)

2 2.56%
  • Sterile intermittent catheterization (hydrophilic coat)

11 14.10%
  • Sterile intermittent catheterization (silicone coat)

2 2.56%
  • Sterile intermittent cathetherization (other)

6 7.69%
  • Indwelling urethral catheter (foley)

5 6.41%
  • Indwelling suprapubic catheter (foley)

4 5.13%
  • Mitrafanoff or other catheterization method

2 2.56%
  • I don't use urinary catheters.

2 2.56%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Catheterization: Clean versus Sterile?

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    btw a pharmacy wanted to charge me about $55 for 1000cc of sterile water as I do the intravesicular ditropan procedure. I said no thanks and bought distilled water at Safeway for a couple bucks.
    Hi Leschinsky,

And we think that Evian and Perrier water is expensive! I live a few miles from the Silver Springs attraction and get my water from the same aquafer/artesian spring formation. They claim it's 99.8% pure. It's the best tasting water I've ever had and it comes right out of my tap... for free. Well I need to pump it up from the aquafer about 100 feet but...

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Each time I cath I open a new catheter and wash my hands. Is that considered a sterile cath? Im a C6 and can't keep catheters in bags or water or whatever. Its much easier to open a new one each time then throw it away; just feels cleaner too.

So, is what I do considered the 'sterile cath'?

Oh, in the beginning, I reused for a month or 2 so I could stock up on catheters that the state pays for (since they didnt give enough to use a new 1 each time). Now I can use a new one everytime and not run out because i stocked up a couple months

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    chak,

As far as I can tell, a Nelation catheter is made in China (brand name TRIUP) and is made of PVC (Source). PVC or polyvinylchloride is a kind of plastic. I don't think that it is a coated catheter, i.e. having a low-friction hydrophilic coating. If it is used with lubricant, that usually means that it does not have a hydrophilic coating. I haven't seen the pricing but I assume that Nelation catheters are inexpensive.

For a long time, the suitability of PVC as a long-term catheter material was questioned because PVC contains potentially toxic plasticizers and because PCV does not undergo biodegradation in the environment. For intermittent use, however, I am not sure that the plasticizers would be that important. There are an awful lot of PVC being thrown away and it is a matter of making sure that it is thrown out in the proper recycle bins where the PVC would be properly dealt with.

As I had pointed out, it is important that the tip be rounded and not present any sharp edges. If the catheter does not have a low-friction surface, it must be used with lubricants and is more likely to damage and irritate your urethra. I have not done a detailed comparison of catheters.

Wise.
    Thank you Dr. young for the information. I had been using it for more than a year now with gel and so far i have not experience(no bleeding,pain,etc) any thing but it doesn't mean my uretha is ok. That being said, what examination is needed to check it? I have look into its website and according to it, they use soft pvc.Does this mean a lesser chance of friction?

Chak

I've tried reusing caths for 5 years and finally gave up. For 2 yrs now I've just used them one time only and what a difference. I've had 1 uti in 2 yrs, which is pretty amazing. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Steve, [...] Can you help me put up a poll? I think that this is the time for it. We have close to 18,000 members on this site, 70% of whom have spinal cord injury. While more than half of the members have not visited us in 2007, we still probably have several thousand members who are spinal injured and visit us frequently. Let us find out what method people use for catheterization, the type of catheters, whether it is clean, etc. I don't know all the options. Can you help me design such a poll and we can post it?
    A poll of what people use and their procedures might be useful, but even that would require a long questionnaire to minimize the number of uncontrolled variables, no? Polling for *results* would be useless since it couldn't correct for the conditions of use, which very day by day, and the results would only be anecdotal, which is what we've got in this very useful thread already. - fw

Okay, I have given such a poll a try. Because they are so many options, it was difficult come up with the options. I limited it to ten choices. Please suggest changes... I can still edit them unless people have voted. Wise.

Okay, I have given such a poll a try. Because they are so many options, it was difficult come up with the options. I limited it to ten choices. Please suggest changes... I can still edit them unless people have voted. Wise.
    Clean intermittent catheterization (re-use hydrophilic) is an invalid questionnaire item. The hydrophilic coating comes off (although not entirely) during insertion and then withdrawal. Since there's no way to reapply the coating, thus restoring it to its original condition, it's not reusable.

It's amazing that you could come up with any list at all, given the variations. Since silicon coatings are put on so many different types of substrates, it might render the poll a bit more accurate to change the "silicone" to "silicone or silicone-coated" in the poll (two places).And a a button "don't know" might be added. Sorry to be so picky! Thanks *so* much for all your work! - fw

Quote Originally Posted by firewheels
    It's amazing that you could come up with any list at all, given the variations. Since silicon coatings are put on so many different types of substrates, it might render the poll a bit more accurate to change the "silicone" to "silicone or silicone-coated" in the poll (two places).And a a button "don't know" might be added. Sorry to be so picky! Thanks *so* much for all your work! - fw
    I changed the hydrophilic and silicone both to "coated". Decided not to put a don't know option. People who don't know shouldn't answer in this poll. However, I have put a category for those who don't use urinary catheters. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212
    Clean intermittent catheterization (re-use hydrophilic) is an invalid questionnaire item. The hydrophilic coating comes off (although not entirely) during insertion and then withdrawal. Since there's no way to reapply the coating, thus restoring it to its original condition, it's not reusable.
    You never know... there may be people who re-use hydrophilic coated catheters... Wise.