View Poll Results: Do you use clean or sterile intermittent catheterization? I use

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clean intermittent catheterization (new catheter)

28 35.90%
  • Clean intermiettent catheterization (re-use silicone coat)

16 20.51%
  • Clean intermittent catheterization (re-use hydrophilic coat)

0 0%
  • Clean intermittent cathetherization (other type)

2 2.56%
  • Sterile intermittent catheterization (hydrophilic coat)

11 14.10%
  • Sterile intermittent catheterization (silicone coat)

2 2.56%
  • Sterile intermittent cathetherization (other)

6 7.69%
  • Indwelling urethral catheter (foley)

5 6.41%
  • Indwelling suprapubic catheter (foley)

4 5.13%
  • Mitrafanoff or other catheterization method

2 2.56%
  • I don't use urinary catheters.

2 2.56%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Catheterization: Clean versus Sterile?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Can you help me put up a poll? I think that this is the time for it. We have close to 18,000 members on this site, 70% of whom have spinal cord injury. While more than half of the members have not visited us in 2007, we still probably have several thousand members who are spinal injured and visit us frequently. Let us find out what method people use for catheterization, the type of catheters, whether it is clean, etc. I don't know all the options. Can you help me design such a poll and we can post it? Thank you.
    Finally a poll that might actually mean something to us.

Dr. Young,

Can you comment about nelaton catheter? Can it be use safely for intermittent cath? What are its negative effects? Thanks

Chak

Poll is Needed

Wise Young,

I am now working with SUNA on a nationwide poll that I am sure they would let be used on this forum if they could use the data.They are revisiting the safety of CIC as well. I was set in my ways as well . I was using a closed system with an intricucer tip for 13 years without an infection and saw no use for the hydrophillic catheter until i could barely pass a catheter. I was told it was increased spasm but later found out it was scarring and strictures. I was scheduled for surgey but thank goodness I tried the hydrphillics and canceled the surgery and have used them since. I know one thing the poll will show is that over the years everybody who is cathing without hydrophillics is experiencing the same thing.Our urethra wall is not designed for the friction it is being put under.

For the Patient,

Steve Winter

SUNA is ?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

e

wondering if technique for men is also an important but nor noted factor concerning damage and scarring to the urethra ,
    i was just brought up to speed with a better method passing the cath, i have full sensation,
    i wish i was taught ought this at the git go, it probably would have saved me some scarring.
    in the dvd that came with the low fric , they state to pull the penis out straight and stretch it when cathing . this helps pass it through the spincters and pass the prostrate. i find it works so much better,
    of course this applies to men only , and i would thing people with good dexterity,
    i have been hearing more and more how the water less alcohol based hand cleaners are better than regular hand washing, since most people do not do the 15 second scrub that is required for proper hand washing.
    cauda equina

Hospital Setting

Wise Young,

Why do all the hospitals use sterile cathing procedures in the Hospital?

SW

Gel

Dr. wise I use a sterile cath each time I am female using 14 french 6" female cath from Mentor they have siliconized surface. My question is are you suppose to use lubrication. I have been injured for 5 years and in that time the only lubrication was in the hospital. I don't have pain or bleeding and no trouble inserting. Just wondered if I was doing damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Winter
    Why do all the hospitals use sterile cathing procedures in the Hospital?

SW
    Because that's where the nasty germs are. Santa Clara Valley Medical Center -one of the 13 Model Systems in the US- taught me CIC for the home, and thank god cause otherwise I'd be broke and the landfills would be much worse. I've been using CIC for almost 25 years now (actually my silver anniversity is today, yoohoo) using 8 caths a month and I have only had a handfull of UTI's, never pass blood, and never have insertion problems, there is no reason for me to switch to sterile.

"They studied patients who had used disposable catheters with hydrogel coating. Although the number of infections seem quite high to me, the authors concluded that patients who used hydrophilic low friction catheters do as well or better than patients using conventional catheters with chlorhexidine jelly."

Wholly molely Wise, I just saw the hydrophillic caths cost almost 10 times the amount of the Mentor siliconized ones I buy and use surigilube with. It doesn't sound like it's worth it for me to switch.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 10-24-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Incorrect Info

Where did you get your info that hydrophillic catheters are 10 times the price than the mentor catheters?

SW

Hospital Sterile

If sterile is better in the hospital are you admitting that sterile is better than reusing? If so why would you not use the safer technique outside as well? There are just as bad of bugs outside the hospital as inside. Just call the CDC.

SW