Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Skiers/snowboarders out there?

I don't ski or board, but pre-injury I used snowshoes in the backcountry. I've been able to start hiking again, so I anticipate getting out on the snowshoes this winter (if California gets anymore snow that is )

One thing I'm not sure about is how well I'm going to do in the cold ... my left hand has some numbness left over from perhaps a pinched nerve (?) I've noticed that in cooler temps it can get really weak. I've also got no temperature sensation in my right leg. How are people with higher-level injuries coping with subfreezing temps ?

-Rob

Monoski week for me

Winter has really started off great here in the NE! We have had storm after storm. I got back in the monoski for the second time on Saturday and have skied it every day since (except Sunday when they closed the mountain after a gondola car derailed because of the 75 mph winds!). It took until Tuesday before things "clicked" and I stopped falling after every turn. Now I can get down all our beginner and intermediate terrrain at a good clip with steady turns and little fear. I am SO psyched!!! It is just as cool as snowboarding was...only harder. I think I will be on the ski every day until the snow is gone! I can't believe I was so resistant to monoskiing last year!
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

My boyfriend talked me into trying to ski. I am nervous as heck. I will be going with the adaptive sports program of Gaylord Hospital in February. Anyone have any suggestions? I have good front and back balance...but crappy side to side balance. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Wheeliecoach
    Just relax and enjoy. If all possible, see if there is another disabled skier (that is good) that can tag along with you. The AB staff where I learned to ski was great, but after seeing what they were telling me, it all came together. Crested Butte, CO has a para on their ski patrol, that is who gave me some pointers.
    Most of all, have fun.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Hi Wheeliecoach,
    I also have good front to back balance and lousy side to side. I am new to this monoski thing but quickly learned that being centered in the bucket makes all the difference in the world. My coaches just strapped me in nice and snuggly with some foam and an ab belt to improve the seats fit and I was set. Like wheelieMike advises relax and give it a try. It was hard at first but now I don't want to stop.

I try sled hockey on Jan. 3rd-I'll let you know how that goes. We girls need to get out there and stop letting the guys have all the fun

Quote Originally Posted by aidan416
    I try sled hockey on Jan. 3rd-I'll let you know how that goes. We girls need to get out there and stop letting the guys have all the fun
    Totally agree...it is about time that girls start having as much fun as the guys!

I play sled hockey...and I have fun...except for trying to get up quickly when I fall to the side...that takes the most time for me. Have fun!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Adian416,
    Did you use a mono or a bi-ski? I found the bi ski the easiest to learn on, but the mono was way more fun.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

WheelieMike-I started on a monoski. I was a GS/SL racer on a snowboard and have a bit of a competative streak in me so thought a monoski would be the best way to go. I did ride a biski once, It has a great ability to turn and seemed stable and forgiving with its low center of gravity. I have a friend who rides a biski independently- she is an incomplete quad and can do amazing things with it. Her balance and inability to load herself prevents her from monoskiing so far. I am lovin' the speed of the mono plus I feel like I am indestructible in the rig!

Wheeliecoach- glad to hear there are are some girl hockey players out there. I'll let you know how I do! I have a hard time picking myself up in the monoski, I hope I do better in the sled. Atleast it is a lot closer to the ground.

First Race

I have had such a great weekend!

I raced in my first monoski races this weekend. It was great! I competed in a Level I Diana Golden Race on Sat. and got a second (out of 5). I competed at my home mountain on Sunday and ...well...finished atleast. Actually, I fell on my second run and ripped part of the binding out of my ski on the second to last gate. By some miracle I stayed on course, was able to get up and actually finish the last gate. I don't know how my ski stayed on my rig but I am thrilled that I survived the course and didn't DQ.

I love this monoskiing thing...I was so afraid I was going to miss snowboarding but I love the challenge the monoski brings, I love the speed you can get, AND I feel totally indestructable in it. Okay-maybe not quite "indestrucatble" but atleast REALLY safe.

It's weird, I went into the monoski ONLY because I could no longer snowboard. My attitude was that it was going to be a poor substitute for shredding but that it was my only option. If I wanted to be on the mountain I was goinna have to be a traitor and become a dreaded skier. I spent months mourning the loss of snowboarding before I ever got into a mono. Now I truely don't know why I wasted so much time being all sad and cranky over the change-what a waste of time! I am happier monoskiing than I ever was snowboarding!

Quote Originally Posted by aidan416
    I have had such a great weekend!
    Aidan,
    Congratulations - that's a great accomplishment after two months in a mono! Next year you'll be all set to volunteer in the Adaptive Program and get yourself PSIA Level I Certified.
    Oh, one thing - I thought that you were supposed to go around the gates.
    Carl