Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Skiers/snowboarders out there?

Any Skiers/snowboarders out there?

I have an incomplete SCI that I "acquired" snowboarding on April 2nd. I am hoping to be able to ride again but may end up monoskiing instead. The weather is getting colder and thought it would be nice to hear from some other snow lovers.

monoskiers-isn't ridin' the lift kinda scarey? It is the only reason I wasn't a monoskier before my sci( I was an adaptive rider before my sci due to a genetic disorder)

I have lost a fair bit of trunk strength and don't know if I will be able to be a standing rider/skier. The set-ups are so expensive, which was another reason that I wanted to competed in the standing division as long as I could. I guess time will tell.

There is a sit'n jib set up for sci's that want to snowboard but it is really tough to turn and carve-it works in the park though. I know a couple of para's that use them and can do boxes and fatty rails. The jumps can be done-)mono-x in X Games) but there is NO shock absorbtion.

Pray for snow!
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Hey man - skiier both b4 and post injury. Have to say that of all the activities I've tried "since" monoskiing is by FAR my favorite.

Its scary at first - all top-heavy and strapped to this huge rig, but you learn how to work it and it gets pretty natural ... or at least the pain of lifts and pushing uphill to get to them is well worth the rush of comin down!

Important to get a good instructor for your first few go-outs. They can make or break your day.

If you get a go at snow out West, check out the National Ability Center in Park City, Utah. It's my fave place to ski so far. Call ahead for reservations. You'll get a lesson and your lift ticket through the center.

If you'd like someone to ski with you the rest of the day after your lesson they can arrange for that, too. The last I skied with them, that was included in your lesson if you wanted.

Great equipment if you don't have your own, exceptional instructors.

www.nabc.org

i skied before i am not that great just barely intermediated. but i sure like it.
    going to brecknridge dec3 thru the 8 to ski and snowmoblie with my sister
    i am c6c7 quad. it will be a blast

Glad to hear from you guys-

I've always been a New England rider-got out west (Mt Hood) for the first time last season. I had never riden in pow before-man it was work-plus I was wicked altitude sick. The next time I was out west was to Tahoe in April-but I only rode one day and broke my back the next. Who says the landings out west are soft? Maybe I should have stuck to the boilerplate conditions in New England

I am thinking of going to Brek for Ski Spec but it depends on work and $. I hear from my friends that it is a good time. Has anyone monoskied during Spec? Is it crazy crowded? There may be some snowboarders from Adaptive Action Sports doing a rail jam expo. Most of the US riders are VI or amputees, but the Canadians and Australia have s few incomplete SCI's. These are the folks I compete with at national comp's They are AMAZING to watch, so I hope they are there.

As for the rig. I am a bit nervous about the lift thing but I trust the friends I ride/ski with. I have not quite gotten used to the idea of needing help. I haven't the greatest upper body and trunk strength so the trip to the lift seems like it may be an exercise in humility. I know that my "crew" are perfectly able and willing to help-they do it with others all season. It just is a bit hard to feel like I am inconveniencing or slowing others. Has anyone felt similarand if so, how do you get over it?

Hi Aidan, Get yourself signed up in an adapted program and let them worry about getting you on and off the lift. You can enjoy the ride down while you get some strength! Skiing has been the best rehab by far. Can't wait for the season. Pat

If you're going to be skiing weekends find a good local Adaptive Ski Program. In the northeastern part of MA go to one of the programs in New Hampshire:
    White Mountain Adaptive Ski at Loon is excellent and hosts the New England Disabled Ski Team. Waterville Valley also hosts an excellent program.
    If you're in Western MA then go to the Adaptive Sports Foundation in Windham, New York.
    If you want to ski for a week go out west to NSCD in Winter Park, CO, BOEC in Breckenridge, CO, or National Ability Center in Park City, Utah.
    You want a program with experienced instructors and with some good monoskis to try out. After a week you'll be skiing better than before.
    BTW, there are also Adaptive Snowboard Programs.
    Check out www.dsusa.org for links to most of these programs.
    My opinions,
    Carl

You can also try the SnowBowl in the White mountains of Arizona. They have a great program and Timmer is the best ski buddy there is. I'm a C5 and he can read me like a book (will let you push right to the edge). It is as natural as AB skiing. Lift is no problem and after the first time you won't even notice.

Have fun,
    Matt
    "Some of the worlds greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible. unattributed" (Anonymous)

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for all the info Carl-I actually snowboarded with WMASS at Loon Mtn in New Hampshire last season as I was and adaptive rider before my SCI. I competed on the New England Adaptive Ski/Snowboard Team last season as well. They are an amazing program. The first call I made from the Trauma unit after my accident wasn't to my family but to our program director who is a para and our team doc. I knew that they would be supportive, level headed and positive regardless of how severe my injury ended up being. Fortunately, things turned out better than expected in that category. I feel so fortunate to have known people with SCI's before my own SCI- those at WMASS are great examples of resiliency and perserverence. When everything else was uncertain I knew that life would indeed go on and I would be back on the mountain the next season one way or another-even if I had to be a monoskiier instead of a snowboarder

As for the White Mtns in Arizona-I am ashamed of my ignorance-it never dawned on me to ride in Arizona-gulp-blush-I always think desert first. I will research it further-seriously.

I haven't been but Santa Fe is said to have a good adaptive program. At 10,000 feet, I get sick up there for a few days before I get acclimated.