Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: We had a little demonstration here the other day

We had a little demonstration here the other day

The 18th of October there was a demonstration in Oslo for more money to biomedical basic research for finding therapies.

Many of the patient- and interest organisations participated. The UiO conducted the demonstration and several professors from there had appeals towards our government to fund this research much better. We also helped to organize this and I also had a longer appeal.

Here is a link to media for a chronicle written by a couple of the professors (the chronicle gives detailed suggestions on what the government should do, it’s in Norwegian language though) and if one click two times on the video image on the same link one could also see a video from this nationwide newspaper. http://www.dagbladet.no:80/nyheter/2007/10/19/515545.html

We didn’t manage do get some of the ministers to give speaks, like the health- and care minister or the education minister. This was due to things we couldn’t control due to at this very moment the government was at the palace due to our prime minister had done some changes in his government. Anyway, our message was heard and we god some representing our government and other politicians instead. Good think though, the changes in our government will now make it so that from now we have a specific minister that will take care of research, namely a research minister. That’s good I think although we have to see what it will lead to, anyway, now it is much easier to direct our messages.

The image below shows a young SCI girl interviewed. She is pretty good I think and knows quite a lot about the funding situation. The lack of funding I mean.

Research students. The banners say 3% of the GDP should go to research, which the government has said it will make, but does not.

We even had guards

The parliament in Oslo. The demonstration was just in from of this building.

One politician interviewed. Hah, he’s looking with a frighten look at me when I took this photo lol Anyway, he’s just another of the bunch, last time he was in the government he didn’t do to much himself as for more funding for research.

A professor representing the scientific community speaks and tells the government exactly what they should do. A signed paper was handed over to the government after the demonstration with concrete suggestions on what the government should do. There were also appeals in this from Noble Prize winners from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm. In fact the demonstration started in Stockholm where a group of researchers bicycled all the way to Oslo to mark the importance on this and also to drive some media attention. Good job by them!

Quite a few people did participate; don’t know the exact number but the perimeter in front of the parliament was pretty crowded.

Me and some other folks, hey, the government better do as we tell them, we had bikers on our side too

Me speaking.

I especially liked this one. The kiddos banner says (translated); more money to basic research now: -so that I can have something to live of when there’s no more oil.

Clever parents , and the kid is not SCI’d, luckily.

Okay, that’s it.