Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OS X Leopard 10/26/07

She wants her DVI monitor, so... And it seems you just place it on the plate, and it self aligns, then just move the lever, and it all plugs in by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    Its here. Coming out 10/26/07 (Friday). Who's buying? http://www.apple.com/

Will you be first to the store, or will you wait? (and why)
    I was going to wait - I still might. I would normally wait for the 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 release (about a month after the 10.5 release if history repeats). Waiting lets others discover any obscure bugs etc, which there always are.

Having said that, 10.5 looks so nice I may cave this time. Being a long time Mac user, one of my gripes has always been the Finder. It's nice and functional, but it often has pretty features that escrew function for form. That offends Greeks of all ages.

The new Finder looks to be a huge improvement. The new iTunes-like sidebar, Quick Look, Stacks and Spaces look like they'll definitely change the way I work for the better. While I think Cover Folw isn't always the best way to navigate content, scrolling through a folder of JPEGs with Cover Flow will also be a boon.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

The video at this link, though cheesy, does an excellent job at highlighting some of the best new features. Time Machine looks amazing too.

Finally, Mail is at last growing up. The ability to format lists in e.mails, take notes and track to-do lists is again all about function. These features will hopefully change my work-life.

So I'm tempted to go in early this time.

Chris.

P.S. Apple has apparently standardised the look of windows across applications. No more metal-theme here and white-theme there. Praise the Lord!
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

I can't wait! I upgraded my old iMac from Panther to Tiger right when Tiger came out, and I had no problems, so I'll likely get Leopard in the first week. The new features look like they'll not only be cool but useful in how I work.

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    While I think Cover Folw isn't always the best way to navigate content, scrolling through a folder of JPEGs with Cover Flow will also be a boon.
    Well, that's the beauty of the MacOS, you can use one of several different ways to view your folders, depending on the content, what you prefer, how you work, etc. I think Cover Flow will work well with more than just jpegs, but I do like list view even now when I'm searching through my lettering files, so it all depends.

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    Being a long time Mac user, one of my gripes has always been the Finder. It's nice and functional, but it often has pretty features that escrew function for form. That offends Greeks of all ages.
    What features do you see as form over function?

fyi: you can preorder it on amazon (link, $109)

i skipped tiger; still running panther. this & photoshop cs3 are my big software upgrades of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    i skipped tiger; still running panther. this & photoshop cs3 are my big software upgrades of the year.
    Do you think Photoshop CS3 is worth the upgrade from CS2?

i skipped cs2 as well due to [literally] one or two extra features i'd find useful over cs (i use cs2 elsewhere than my personal computers though), but honestly it depends what you'll use it (cs3) for. the interface is nicer & there are a handful of new features for photography, including better raw file support. it's worth it to me.

at this moment, my questions are
    1. while using parrallels, are there usb compatability issues
    2. while running boot camp, are there memory issues, and usb compatability performance issues?
    3. iListen performance and new Leopard voice recognition abilities. can the new improved voice technology in Leopard run a lot of the computer? (the mac salesmen at microcenter told me leopard would be phenomenal)

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    She wants her DVI monitor, so... And it seems you just place it on the plate, and it self aligns, then just move the lever, and it all plugs in by itself.
    yes, and printer, etc. docks are pricey i see?

O, wondering about being able to use my USB Plethora drive, also. Would I have to use this only in Boot Camp? does it work in boot camp w Macs? Currently, I heard they don't, am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    at this moment, my questions are
    1. while using parrallels, are there usb compatability issues
    2. while running boot camp, are there memory issues, and usb compatability performance issues?
    3. iListen performance and new Leopard voice recognition abilities. can the new improved voice technology in Leopard run a lot of the computer? (the mac salesmen at microcenter told me leopard would be phenomenal)
    Lizbv,

I cannot speak for bootcamp because I have not yet used it although everybody tells me that bootcamp is more compatible than Parallels. There are certain programs that people can run on bootcamp that will not run on Parallels. I have had Parallels installed on my laptop for over six months now. I have been able to recognize hard discs, usb memory cards, and printers with no problem so far, except that when the USB device is inserted while one is using Parallels, it often seem to take over the USB so that it is not available to the Mac any more.

I don't know about voice recognition software for the Leopard but it doesn't make sense to shift over the Apple if you are using Dragon. I have some friends who use iListen by MacSpeech and say that it is as good (Source but I would like to hear from somebody on this site who can compare it against Dragon.

At one point, there was a rumor that Apple bought Parallels and would be making it part of the OSX operating system. However, this was an unsubstantiated rumor. The latest version of Parallels 3.0 should run both Windows XT and Vista on the OSX 10.5 Leopard (source. Leopard will now include Bootcamp.

Wise.