Thread: Casters...

Casters...

My caster wheels were badly worn so I replaced them with some nice new ones and some spacers. They fit perfectly, but now at random when I am rolling around they will start to get a "death" wobble. Any suggestion as to why? Or how to fix it? Thanks!
    IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A BIG WORD THROWN AROUND BY SMALL MEN WHO FIND IT EASIER TO LIVE IN THE WORLD THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN THAN TO EXPLORE THE POWER THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FACT. IT'S AN OPINION. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A DECLARATION. IT'S A DARE. IMPOSSIBLE IS POTENTIAL. IMPOSSIBLE IS TEMPORARY.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

Rochester NY... Seen them all... Worked at U of R. Strong Hospltli
    Dang those are some sweet looking muscles... LOL

OK now the fix are you ready... Great.

If you have a rachet set with sockets perfect. If not, I have a back up.

Grabe one pair of sturdy needle nose (long nosed) pliers... A small crecent wrench in case it can be used.

Some soft cloth to protect the metal and paint of the chair/caster. Old cotton shirt works for me. LOL

Get a few thin bladed flat head screw drivers in case needed.

OK, that is it for tools.

As you may see on your casters they have plastic snuggy dust cover... Or a fitted metal one.

Being careful not to damage this go on a remove it. You will not find anything that can fall out of this. At least I hope not... If so it might be my brain...

See what will fit that nut on top... Now if these casters are super floppy... Turn left to tighten them... Little bits maybe a quarter or less per turn...

No need to wrench them so tight they stop turning... The magic balance is when they will just work.

I found the way that worked the first time I ever used for me.

The chair on its back casters up... tighten then hold the caster sideways to allow it to flop down.... The magic spot is when it starts to fall just slower than a free fall... It takess about five minutes per side...

Once done... the fun starts... Peel out man... Try to make those do that death wobble... If they do... Do not panic... You now hold the control to how those little trouble makers function for you. Just tighten a little more... Test... And you will find the right spot... Feels odd the first time you move them with your hands... After a few runs... They will work fine and feel normal again to your hands moving them for normal checking.

If you do not have that type of adjuster... O,O maybe a picture to help me would work... LOL I am only now looking at a fulltime chair.... I have been in and out of old gift ones sense 1995... But seems I am now looking for my own first set of wheels... LOL

By the way I LOVE I mean LOVE your message in that signature... That is how I live my life also. Awesome to meet you by the way.
    Kite
    Riding Proud!
    The Proactive Patient & Advocate
    Never give up trying. Never.

Rochester NY... Seen them all... Worked at U of R. Strong Hospltli
    Oops I should tell you that I have ADHD and at a level eught pain where it overrides my thinking and med for the ADHD I revert back to my self as I was two years ago... O,o Sorry bout that buddy.

I hope this helps, as when I had the issue I could not find any help off or online...
    Kite
    Riding Proud!
    The Proactive Patient & Advocate
    Never give up trying. Never.