Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling to the left...

Pulling to the left...

Why o why is my chair pulling to the left? Fresh bearings, new castors. It seems to be coming from the left "castor area". Its not a little pull either, its severe. Could it be a bent fork? Fork doesnt look bent....AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!! I cant keep up with these chair issues, one after another.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

do the wheels on that side turn freely?
    Get out of the chair, have someone or you tilt it, spin the tire/casor.

Check for over tightness, threads that may have wrapped etc..

not sure what else to suggest.

( I know nothing.. manual or electric?)
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

the wheels spin perfectly, the fork on the left does not spin as well as the on the right. This is a manual Kuschall Airlite.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Thumbs up

The bolt on the top of the left fork is either rusted or over tightend. Try loosening the bolt a little and lube it up, that'll do the trick!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs
    the wheels spin perfectly, the fork on the left does not spin as well as the on the right. This is a manual Kuschall Airlite.
    I have a K├╝shall Airlite that is doing the same thing. Invacare told me it was nothing to do with it, so I am going to change it to a new one. They told me the frame was bent(?)asymetric(?) because I did use it too hard. Sorry, I don't know the proper English words.
    TH 12, 43 years post

make sure all the wheels are on the ground when you're not in the chair, also, make sure you have the same amount of camber on both wheels. If one has less than the other one that will cause a pull, and I'm not sure if this is adjustable but make sure the shaft that connects the front caster to the wheelchair is perfectly vertical. I get that problem in my eclipse once in a while where all bump something really hard and it will throw the caster off a little bit and cause me to pull.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Its vertical, eveything is aligned.

My Myspace

Rochester NY... Seen them all... Worked at U of R. Strong Hospltli
    Sounds like it might be the tension adjuster... Not sure what to call it. But it is also what will prevent death wobble.

The top of the caster should have some kind of dust cover... Plastic or metal... Using a thin balded flat head fo metal, and or sturdy needle nose pliers and a old cotton shirt works to help protect that finsih on the chair/caster.

Once this dust cove is off notice the nut on top... More than likely this little guy is to tight... So you end up with it staying left when you want to go straight ahead. Annoying little things they can be...

With your chair on its back these caster up in the air... The magic spot on mine was just as the caster would fall just slower than a free fall when I held it out sideways left or roght does not matter. If the other is fine... Leave it alone... LOL

But, get back into the chair try it out...

I only know about this trick from being in and out of gift chairs (better known as going to the trash) for distance over 100 feet... On good days... Sense 1995

Now that I am finally in need of my first official full time wheels... I am doing my homework before I find the chair I plan to live in. And, I do not expect a perfect machine... Just one the works for me.

I hope this helps. And, maybe will end that annoying frustration with casters for you. That trick solves many issues and most manufacturers are clueless as to how and why it works... Most are... not all. LOL
    Kite
    Riding Proud!
    The Proactive Patient & Advocate
    Never give up trying. Never.

Rochester NY... Seen them all... Worked at U of R. Strong Hospltli
    I have found almost all casters do feature this little adjustment... And... it is the most unknown little trick to know about... O,O I tinker with everything... :P
    Kite
    Riding Proud!
    The Proactive Patient & Advocate
    Never give up trying. Never.

The caster and stem both have a bearing
    It sounds like you need a new caster stem bearing
    When replacing the caster housing
    Sometimes the bolt is so tight is digs into the bearing and destoys its outer plastic cover
    Second idea if your chairs is pulling to one side there may be a bend somewhere in the frame
    These bends sometime are two small to see
    But the smallest bend can cause pulling to the right or left