Thread: Traveling internationally

Traveling internationally

Hello all. I'm looking for some advice on traveling from the US to Australia as a quadriplegic. I will be studying abroad there from February 2008 through July 2008 and was wondering what are the best carriers to fly with internationally, seeing if there is a possibility to fly business-class for the same price as economy class (since I should definitely do weight shifts where I can lean all the way back),good ideas for long flights such as this,as well as how to deal with flights with stops?thanks.
    Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in this damn electric chair.

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

If you need to be lifted into your seat, fly an American airline (United, etc.) as Quantas, etc. will NOT lift you into your seat, and would require your companions to do this by themselves.

You can ask to be bumped up to first class or business class when you get to the airport, but the airline is not required to do this, will not guarantee this ahead of time, and lately it has been much less likely that we have gotten this (flights are more full, frequent flyers often use their points to upgrade), esp. on long flights like this.

You can do side-to-side weight shifts (into the aisle, onto the lap of your companion) if you sit in a regular aisle seat. These are actually more effective than reclining weight shifts, but probably will need assistance. Be sure to sit on your wheelchair cushion.

(KLD)

Thanks for your help.
    Frankly, I'm tired of sitting in this damn electric chair.

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Chef , could you tell us your departure and arrival cities please ? I've flown to the US twice , once out of Brisbane and once out of Sydney , I've also been through Cairns airport . And KLD is correct about QANTAS , much to my disgust as an Ozzie.
    Every day I wake up is a good one .