Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female SCI's - Bladder control/management

Female SCI's - Bladder control/management

I would like to know how other female SCI's manage re: bladder. I am a T4 and self-catheterize most of the time. I am unable to do that from my chair due to spasticity and an additional injury to my left arm. So at least every 3 hours I have to get on my bed to catheterize. This really limits my independence and mobility and drives me nuts. Even doing it every 3 hours there still can be a leak so I need to wear pads too. From time to time I put in an indwelling catheter just for a break but then I run the risk of infection. Either way I get really fed up with the whole thing. According to a recent urodynamics test my bladder holds only 200 before becoming spastic and leaking. I take a drug, Ceris, morning and evening to ease the spasticity but frankly I don't think it does much good. My urologist suggests botox injections next but I am not really keen and anyway think that may only be a temporary solution. What experiences has anyone had with other solutions - such as Mitrofanoff/augmentation?

Carbar-

Are you able to transfer onto the toilet? I found that it is a lot easier to cath on the toilet than it was in bed. I have a lot of mobility now but when I was newly injured I cathed in bed. You also might want to try a different medication. I am not familiar with Ceris. I am taking Sanctura and it works really well for me. I didn't have great results with Ditropan XL but a lot of others do. I know a lot of people here have had the Mitroff. and they can give you their opinions. I hope you find some solutions here.

'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

BroknWing. Thanks for your input. No, I can't transfer onto toilet so that is not an option. Ceris is the same as Sanctura I think - both have Trospium as their main component. I am taking 20g twice daily.

Do a search for mitrofanoff and augmentation, there are several threads on both.

At c6c7 incomplete I also have to lie down to cath, it's a pain in the neck isn't it? Cathing from the chair is hard itself, then add clothing issues. Transfering to a toilet is work also unless you can find one that is level with your wc and how often does that really happen...then there is clothing and balance issues. I feel for you carbar. About spasms, ditropan has been a lifesaver for me.

Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

If I were a woman there would be no question about having an augmentation and a Mitro done, I would just do it providing I had the hand function to cath through a belly stoma.

Sure, its a lot to go through in getting it done. But that is the price you pay for the convienence and more care free life that comes after.

Being a Male and having good hands, cathing every three hours out of the chair is really not that big a deal for me, thats why I never got an Augmentation done, although I did come pretty close about 15 years ago and then decieded to leave things alone.

carbar - I would have to agree with Curt. Two of my former female patients have had Mitrofanoffs done. One is a C6 and the other a C4/5...both have so much more independence now that they have had this done. Recovery was fairly good, took awhile but they are glad that they went through with the surgery.

For many posts on this topic:
    Mitrofanoff CRF

I can easily say that having my Mitrofanoff surgery is the best thing I've done with the exception of staying in school since my injury and 93. I function as a C6 and I've not had any problems after the month postop. If you have any questions please feel free to look at my profile and e-mail me. I'll answer anything I can about it.

Aly

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
    Don Juan Matus

Originally posted by Aly:

I can easily say that having my Mitrofanoff surgery is the best thing I've done with the exception of staying in school since my injury and 93. I function as a C6 and I've not had any problems after the month postop. If you have any questions please feel free to look at my profile and e-mail me. I'll answer anything I can about it.

Aly
    the same here. I am a C6 and I had my operation in 1996.

The best thing I ever did was have the augmentation. My bladder shrunk so, I could not hole 200 cc's. Peed on myself all the time and wore diapers. Peeing in my WC, in the bed, Changing cloths all the time don't happen anymore.
    Mary

Carbar, I had a s.p., not the Mitrof., and therefore I have a foley. Since my sujury I have only had 1 or 2 infections that required treatment with antibiotics, and it has been 9 years since I had my sujury. I don't know how it is in France, but from what I have read on this forum the Botox treatments a still expremental here. I would be wary of if untill the full effects are known over the long term. I hope you find a bladder program that is right for you.

Linda H.