View Poll Results: Who cracked the genetic code that translates DNA to protein?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marshall Nirenberg

0 0%
  • Francis Crick

0 0%
  • James D. Watson

2 66.67%
  • Rosalind Franklin

1 33.33%

Thread: Who cracked the genetic code?

Who cracked the genetic code?

We all agree that the genetic code (how DNA translates to proteins) is one of the greatest achievements of biology. A Nobel prize was given for this achievement. Who was the scientist who did it?

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...D13353AB4C40FE

Actually all of the above had a most important role in cracking the code. They all worked off each others findings and advanced the knowledge. Watson and Crick got the prize and the fame..but I personally think Rosalind Franklin's xrays were a major turning point so I give her and her collegues the credit.

Although Marshall Nirenberg advanced the science with leaps and bounds influencing the geneticists of today to go even further.
    Last edited by Lindox; 10-16-2007 at 06:47 PM.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    Actually all of the above had a most important role in cracking the code. They all worked off each others findings and advanced the knowledge. Watson and Crick got the prize and the fame..but I personally think Rosalind Franklin's xrays were a major turning point so I give her and her collegues the credit

A combined effort for sure, but you're right, it's certain that Watson and Crick couldn't have done it without Franklin's work.