Thread: question about surgery

question about surgery

I went the dr. and he said to get a MRI so I got the results back and he says I have a 8mm syrinx. My question is what is the procedure or process that will be done to get rid of it? Any info or stories would help...Thanx
    sometimes life is hard, but the alternative is unacceptable.

An idea to research would be to put syrinx in the search slot at the top of the screen near the Google logo, and make sure that CareCure forums are clicked, and you will get info from this website...

Hope that at least helps a little bit...

Take care, God bless...

Teena

I agree, there are plenty of previous posts on this.

Have you had any symptoms of loss of sensation or function? Have you had serial MRIs showing that the syrinx is growing in size? Many people have a small cyst where their injury occured and it never causes them any problems. The surgery for a syrinx is not without risks, so at least in my area we do a lot of watching to see if it is 1) growing and 2) causing symptoms before we do either shunting or untethering to try to stop the progression.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by junkerdoggs
    I went the dr. and he said to get a MRI so I got the results back and he says I have a 8mm syrinx. My question is what is the procedure or process that will be done to get rid of it?
    Well, what did your doctor tell you? Didn't he explain what he wanted to do? Didn't you ask him? There are a number of procedures that are used to treat syringomyelia. Nobody here has seen your MRI or knows your particular situation, so all we can do is relate our personal experiences, which may or may not apply to you.

Talk to your doctor. Oh, and always get a second opinion.

C.

I haven't seen my doctor to go over the details yet. They just called and let me know what it was. I have an app on the 24th. Just wondering what to expect or trying to get an idea. It has effected my wrist on my right hand, it has gotten weaker and kinda tight feeling and both of my hands are numb and tingly...
    sometimes life is hard, but the alternative is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by junkerdoggs
    I haven't seen my doctor to go over the details yet. They just called and let me know what it was.
    You were told over the phone that you need major surgery? That's fucked up. Nobody wants to pay for an office visit, but in cases like this, being called in and given details in person is the only decent thing to do. Tell your doctor that when you see him or her.

C.