Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overbed Table Insurance Coverage

Question Overbed Table Insurance Coverage

Has anybody managed to have an overbed table such as shown above covered by medical insurance?

My electric hospital bed was covered and having a table like this would prove to be very helpful when in bed as well as using it from either my manual chair or powerchair. My wife says that something like that is probably not covered. Before I ask my DME any "really stupid questions" and making a fool of me (what was he thinking???), I thought I'd pose the question here amongst friends that will not bite my head off. LOL

TIA! Dave
    <><< . <><< . <><< . <><<

My disability is a Do It Sitting ABILITY.

Pastor Dave's Ministry

Find your church at MyChurch.org

I have 1 it was covered by medicaid. When i came home from rehab it was there with my hospital bed. I hope your covered for it. anty
    Be always determined in Life and Love

You can try, but it is usually not covered as it is considered a convenience item, not a medical neccessity (ie, you won't die without one).

(KLD)

Wink

Thanks for the comments. I just heard from my DME and they think it would be impossible as well to have an overbed table covered by any medical insurance. Sooooooooooooooooooooo...

< thinking cap ON >

Here is where we need some really good writers for medical neccessity justifications...

1. Current lap table allows hot coffee to spill on stomach if tilted too far whereby causing 2nd and possibly 1st degree burns.
    2. Being diabetic, wounds are slower to heal and the body is subject to complications.
    3. No more eating meals due to possibility of more scalding-type spills.
    4. Lack of food causes one to shrivel up into a prune and lose weight, potentially resulting in death from unintentional starvation.
    5. THEREFORE, overbed table is medically required to avoid future burns and to allow continued intake of meals whereby prolonging life.

< thinking cap OFF >

Now who is a good grant writer around here?

Dave

Pastor Dave's Ministry

I bought one on E-bay for about 70 bucks.
    Steve

I bought a similar one on e-bay for about the same; it is marginally OK. Later I saw the same (or very similar) thing at Fry's for less $ and no shipping.
    - Richard

For those eBay purchases, I assume that was used equipment? Also, what brand and model number were the tables if you all know. I'm looking for comments on quality, durability, stability, etc.

It looks like this will be another out-of-pocket expense. I guess it was a "long shot" to think insurnce might help. Disability, my do it sitting ability, is turning out to be much more expensive than I originally expected. There is so much that I do need to live a normal life. Too bad the insurance criteria is only "good enough" to keep you somewhat functional and mobile inside the house and only then if it greatly improves your life expectancy. LOL

Dave

Pastor Dave's Ministry

I bought my wife's on e-bay, and the brand of it was a Hill-Rom- just like the hospital beds, etc. Very high quality, with a spring in it, and handle that you pull to make it go up or down. The top slides, and reveals a sotrage area which we don't use. I noted that office depot was selling something of that type recently, but didn't actually view it. If you buy top brand name, the quality is always good.

In Texas there is a program you can get on for people who were hurt ion car accidents. You get ona waiting list, and then they fund things that you need that the insurance will not. I didn't buy this piece that way, but probably could have. they have funded other things. You should look onto similar in your state.

I suggest you also look into a forum called the SCIC forum for caregivers under yahoo. It's at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/scic/ and they have a pretty thorough list of the agencies that can help like this in any state. I don't bother going on there anymore, because there are too many amateur psychiatrists who like to lurk just to hear other peopple's problems and then "help" them. I told them my opinoin a couple of times, and then figured out that wasn't my position to question their conversations, so I stopped looking in. Also, too many there who support many of the things I would not support just to try to find a cure. I personally don't believe God would support killing innocents just so I could live a "better" life.

May God be with you. He's been with us every step (or should I say roll?) of the way.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by smapple
    I bought my wife's on e-bay, and the brand of it was a Hill-Rom- just like the hospital beds, etc. Very high quality, with a spring in it, and handle that you pull to make it go up or down. The top slides, and reveals a sotrage area which we don't use. I noted that office depot was selling something of that type recently, but didn't actually view it. If you buy top brand name, the quality is always good.

In Texas there is a program you can get on for people who were hurt ion car accidents. You get ona waiting list, and then they fund things that you need that the insurance will not. I didn't buy this piece that way, but probably could have. they have funded other things. You should look onto similar in your state.

I suggest you also look into a forum called the SCIC forum for caregivers under yahoo. It's at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/scic/ and they have a pretty thorough list of the agencies that can help like this in any state. I don't bother going on there anymore, because there are too many amateur psychiatrists who like to lurk just to hear other peopple's problems and then "help" them. I told them my opinoin a couple of times, and then figured out that wasn't my position to question their conversations, so I stopped looking in. Also, too many there who support many of the things I would not support just to try to find a cure. I personally don't believe God would support killing innocents just so I could live a "better" life.

May God be with you. He's been with us every step (or should I say roll?) of the way.

Steve
    Thanks for that comment with some good information! I hope I can put it to good use as well as others that might be following this thread.

Dave

Pastor Dave's Ministry

Dave, check at this link. I have one like #3, but just for my bed. Yours is #12.. not priced too bad. May have to bite the bullet and go ahead and get it.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3775531

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia